PDA

View Full Version : NIN's Leaving????

bc529
11-19-2007, 08:38 AM
I just heard on GMA that NIN has 2 weeks left on the mountain. He is going to live with a family down in the valley. I was wondering if there is a replacement for NIN. If there is that will be some big paws to fill!!

JimS
11-19-2007, 08:53 AM
Uh oh ... the cat is out of the bag ... so to speak!

I'm sure there will be details to follow...

kaseri
11-19-2007, 09:22 AM
Hu? I've always enjoyed seeing NIN when when I climb to the summit. Sort of like going to visit an old friend.

fifteendays
11-19-2007, 09:42 AM
Uh oh ... the cat is out of the bag ... so to speak!

I'm sure there will be details to follow...

Jim, you beat me to the "pun" about the cat being let out of the bag... I saw them mention Nin's retirement on TV and knew that there would be some discussion here this morning!

Yes, Nin will be retiring after a brilliant career on the summit. His health has been shaky lately and recently had his last teeth removed after an infection. He seems to be doing fine right now, but we want to do the most humane thing for him and the best thing for the Obs operationally. We are very happy that two of his biggest fans and closest friends have welcomed the opportunity to take him in sometime in December. Nin will be moving down off the mountain to live with Mike and Diane from Mt. Washington State Park.

So that left us with a very big decision to make. Cat or no cat? It quickly became clear to me and the Obs senior staff that having a pet on the summit makes it feel more like home. Our summit crew literally spends half their lives on the summit, away from their own homes, in what can be a very stark, lonely environment. Their opinion was unanimous-- they wanted a cat.

We weighed the bad and good and have decided to carry on the tradition of having a summit cat, a tradition that dates all the way back to the beginning of the Observatory. So we'll soon be working with the Conway Area Humane Society (who have generously offered to donate a new feline friend) on locating the heir to Nin's throne at 6,288 feet.

I hope you all enjoyed the GMA broadcast. It was an amazing logistical challenge and I think it really worked out great. I am so proud of our entire crew.

Scot
MWO Executive Director

spyboy
11-19-2007, 12:37 PM
I assume you rescue an older cat and not a kitten, so they're already litter trained and comfortable around people (and have seen snow!)

Kirk

Trekker
11-19-2007, 04:18 PM
How old IS Nin? Does anyone know?
I know he's been there a while, as I've seen him for several years as I stop in now and then . . .
It will be a sad day . . .
. . . but good to know that he has a caring place to live out the rest of his life - kind of like a "kitty assisted living" . . .
Thanks are in order to Mike and Dianne!!
Nin, we will miss you . . .
but anxiously await the newest feline to ascend the throne . . .

kaseri
11-19-2007, 05:54 PM
Last time I saw NIN he still had two or three teeth left. I wish him & his new caretakers all the best.

Steve M
11-19-2007, 08:35 PM
How old IS Nin? Does anyone know?
I know he's been there a while, as I've seen him for several years as I stop in now and then . . .
It will be a sad day . . .
. . . but good to know that he has a caring place to live out the rest of his life - kind of like a "kitty assisted living" . . .
Thanks are in order to Mike and Dianne!!
Nin, we will miss you . . .
but anxiously await the newest feline to ascend the throne . . .
IF I remember correctly He is 17 yrs old.

Charlie
11-19-2007, 08:46 PM
when i was up last summer for a EDU trip it was nice to see Nin up there and how Nin made every one feel like it was a home up there .so it is nice to hear that there will be a new friend up there .
hope you will have a big going away party http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/party/party-smiley-020.gif and put it on obs cast for all of us to see .
we will miss Nin http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/tiere/animal-smiley-027.gif http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/tiere/animal-smiley-030.gif

Steve M
11-20-2007, 08:57 PM
My kids will miss Nin too! I'm glad they got to meet him. They are gonna miss Nin's notes also. Hopefully the new feline will be a ham for the lime light as Nin is.:)

Mike D
11-20-2007, 10:29 PM
I'm waiting for somebody to start a "Name the new cat" thread...

spyboy
11-20-2007, 10:34 PM
How about "April" :D

Steve M
11-21-2007, 07:21 AM
Well, I guess at this point it would have to be gender neutral.

spyboy
11-21-2007, 08:18 AM
We'll have to wait until someone posts a picture

Charlie
11-21-2007, 04:47 PM
i say name it Windy

hobbes
11-21-2007, 05:16 PM
I vote for Hobbes (or Tiger) ;)

Brad
11-21-2007, 06:48 PM
How about "Tri" - which is short for Tribeca - to honor Subaru's on-going support? Or if a girl, "Beca".

Breeze
11-21-2007, 06:52 PM
Ariel works for me

Breeze

Steve M
11-21-2007, 07:14 PM
How about Frosty since he will arrive in the winter.

h2oeco
11-21-2007, 10:46 PM
Ask Aubrey (current intern) - I'm sure she'll chime in with some suggestions - the topic came up when I was up at the summit as a volunteer in late October...

Mike D
11-21-2007, 10:56 PM
I say we name it "Bradford".

kaseri
11-21-2007, 11:22 PM
Don't rush into naming the new summit cat. Let the new cat move into the summit and become comfortable there. Over a few weeks the proper name will be evident. Essentially the new summit cat will tell you what it's name should be. I know this might sound a little strange but you'll be surprised how well it works. Animals have very distinct "personalities" and all we need is some time to notice what they are.

Brad
11-22-2007, 07:08 AM
How about if I move into the summit for a while. My personality will show up for sure - content.

Steve M
11-22-2007, 11:40 AM
How about if I move into the summit for a while. My personality will show up for sure - content.
We are really not too sure if that is good idea.:p

KD Talbot
11-22-2007, 02:24 PM
Can you catch mice?

KDT

Brad
11-22-2007, 02:28 PM
Can you catch mice?

KDT
About as well as I can cook. One look at me and they will run scared.

seymourcctv
12-03-2007, 09:42 PM
New here and seen the pictures of NIN last year and was thinking of him while I'm sitting here looking at my cat sleeping on the warm monitor in my not always heated shop. Good to see Nin is still around. It's amazing a cat can live up there for how many years?
Where can this GMA story i see be found?
Just made my night to find out he's still OK.

Be safe up there and have fun!!
Ken
Seymour, CT

ooyaaa
12-28-2007, 10:44 AM
Nin may very well be a Turkish VAN cat.Turkish van cat are natural breed ,NOT man made . Native to the Lake Van region of Turkey . Lake Van is at the foot of Mount Ararat.Turkish Vans are white with color on the head and tail. "Turkish Vans are not white cats; they are colored cats with very large patches of white. The large patches of white are the dominant color, making the cat appear to be a white cat with color on the head and tail. The piebald gene (also known as the white spotting gene or the piebald white spotting gene) is responsible for the pattern of color, and the Turkish Van standard calls for tail color and colored markings on the head".Only imported to the US since 1982 they are very rare. They often become "stray" because they are very clever at unlocking doors and latches.The piebald gene is resessive an will disappear when breed with other cat breed.Highly prized by the ancient Romans , the Crusaders and the Turkish people, the Turkish van is said to be the oldest domesticated cat.Turkish Vans love water, this is said to be from their natural setting in the streams and rivers theat run off Mount Ararat
http://www.cfainc.org/breeds/profiles/articles/turkish-van.html
or goolge :turkish van cat and compare w/ NIN

seymourcctv
12-29-2007, 09:52 PM
Nice article on the Turkish van cat. Looks like a very cool breed! I'm going to look into them some more. I might get one seeing there so hearty. The breeder male I had around has disappeared from the ongoing breed of farm cats I've had around for ten+ yrs and all others are fixed and was thinking of maine coon cats but the Turkish van is just as cool.

koshercat
12-30-2007, 01:40 PM

SUMMIT!!!

Appropriate, gender-neutral, and tells the world this is the TOP CAT. ;)

Sapphira

koshercat
12-30-2007, 01:48 PM

SUMMIT!!!

Great name, gender-neutral, and tells all visitors and staff that this is the TOP cat!;)

Mike D
12-30-2007, 01:52 PM
Whatever name we choose has to have chummy and mad variants depending on the mood.

SUMMIT!!!

Appropriate, gender-neutral, and tells the world this is the TOP CAT. ;)

Sapphira

Steve M
12-30-2007, 03:46 PM
What about:

Socrates

That would work well I think.

h2oeco
12-30-2007, 09:22 PM
While I was on the summit this fall, Aubrie (intern) came up with the name Gazpacho... Not bad, according to me...

Squid
12-31-2007, 08:19 AM
I like months as names,
my kitty is named November, Or Mr. November

and when I feel a little festive Mr. Noviembre (Spanish!) :D

But he also goes by other names when he get him self in to a pickle!;)

spyboy
12-31-2007, 10:57 AM
If it's female, how about April (in honor of the highest recorded winds) (which is also my birthday, btw :)

If it's male, what about Darby in honor of Darby Field

K

KD Talbot
12-31-2007, 11:05 AM
All very worthy names, but to me, the name is obvious: Top Cat.

KDT

Mike D
12-31-2007, 11:31 AM
Let's not get into © issues.

All very worthy names, but to me, the name is obvious: Top Cat.

KDT

Bill O
12-31-2007, 11:37 AM
I vote for letting the summit crew name the cat. They have to live with it afterall.

Also, if the cat is older than a kitten it probably has a name. At that point they should probably keep the name it came with.

rockin rex
12-31-2007, 11:44 AM
I think a great name for the cat would be "PEAK" this way when it is time for Seek The Peak it would be very fitting : )

Squid
12-31-2007, 12:18 PM
I vote for letting the summit crew name the cat. They have to live with it afterall.

Also, if the cat is older than a kitten it probably has a name. At that point they should probably keep the name it came with.

I do agree, plus most of the time I find that animals find thier own name for them selves! But its nice to know that youguys up there will get a little furry face soon!

KD Talbot
12-31-2007, 01:20 PM
"Let's not get into © issues.

MikeD"

It must be public domain by now, like all the music I listened to when I was your age. I still get to hear it now, in TV commercials.

Besides, Bill is right. It will probably already have a name. If not, the crew should pick one, for instance: Top Cat.

KDT

Charlie
12-31-2007, 01:58 PM
i say we can still come up with names to pick from

how about windy :D