PDA

View Full Version : Who to talk to about a web app?

spyboy
11-20-2007, 01:17 PM
I have a Vista sidebar gadget that my friend wrote (I did the photoshop work) that pulls the webcam images (from the Mount Washington website) and cycles through them.

But, before I posted such an app out to the net, I wanted to make sure it was ok, but wasn't sure who to contact at the MWO.

Also, he wanted to give the app to them, so that they could put a link up on the website for people to download it.

Kirk

Brad
11-20-2007, 03:07 PM
I would suggest you contact either Mike Davidson (ID = Mike D) or Scot Henley (ID = fifteendays) on the MWO staff through a Private Message on the forum. You will need to explain what you created, your suggestion(s), and think through the impact to their server infrastructure if many people were to use it.

To grab the web camera images (only the public ones since the others have restricted access) and the Conditions image and posted them to my MWO Fotki photo site, I do a similar thing. This way folks go to Fotki's infrastructure and network and not the MWO site.

I use the WebImages widget off the Yahoo widgets site to cycle through and display the images.
http://widgets.yahoo.com/widgets/webimages

I just give to full URL for the images (not the web pages) to the widget, set the interval to cycle through them, and and pick a size of the images on my display. Since WebImages has the ability to also save the images, I take the saved images and upload them automatically to the Fotki site on a set schedule. That is how I keep the site up to date.

I also have been known to use this same widget to cycle through still images from my and others' web cameras.

Mike D
11-20-2007, 10:37 PM
Yes, like Brad said, please provide us with the detailed workings of the widget, plus source code, so we can decide what the impact would or could be. Thanks Kirk.