PDA

View Full Version : West View de-icing?

spyboy
11-24-2007, 02:10 PM
Any chance of getting the West View cleaned? I can see the image peaking through the ice on the screen.

bclark
11-24-2007, 03:33 PM
Any chance of getting the West View cleaned? I can see the image peaking through the ice on the screen.

Sorry, but because of the height of the windows above the ground, there isn't much we can do but wait for the ice to fall off. Sometimes, once it has started to melt, we can give the window a good pounding and that helps it fall off, but I already tried that today.

I remember when I was an intern trying to deice the window from the outside with a sort of scraper on a long pole. I was highly unsucessful. Not only that, but it's easy to scrape up the plexiglass windows.

Mike D
11-24-2007, 03:59 PM

What I would like to do is install a heated enclosure in place of the winter window. The North View has such an enclosure, which helps keep it clear except during the heaviest icing events. Unfortunately, there are only two small, west-facing windows in the building and a heated enclosure would monopolize one of them.