PDA

View Full Version : 2nd hike

njgail11
11-24-2007, 10:23 PM
Me and my husband hiked Tuckerman's Ravine in August of 2007, it was very hard for me but easier for my husband. We both made it but it took us 7 hours and 20 minuets with lots of stops to rest,eat and pictures. The time it took us was just one way to top. Took shuttle van down. It was the first hike for both of us. We trained very little, but next year we know to train harder. Can anyone suggest what trail to try for are second hike. Thanks for any info.

Mike D
11-24-2007, 10:51 PM
A short, but steep ascent is the Ammonoosuc Ravine trail that starts near the base of the Cog Railway. A longer, but gradual route that starts at the same point is the Jewell Trail. It is about 5 miles from bottom to top. I recommend the Jewell if you prefer a gradual climb.

Brad
11-25-2007, 05:33 AM
Mike's suggestions are good. A nice round trip would be cog base station up the Ammonoosuc Ravine trail to Lakes of the Clouds and back down the same way. Good trail - great views - good shelter when you break above tree line. If the weather turns real bad stay below tree line and head back to the cog station.

Acrophobe
11-27-2007, 02:11 PM
Or, if you want something a little more enjoyable, try the Huntington ravine trail. It's bit steep in places, but it sounds like you want a little something extra this time around. Personally, it was the best trail I've ever climbed. Just fantastic. Better even, so I've heard, then King's Ravine on Mount Adams. Just don't try it when there's even a hint of rain.

climbabout
11-27-2007, 03:02 PM
Or, if you want something a little more enjoyable, try the Huntington ravine trail. It's bit steep in places, but it sounds like you want a little something extra this time around. Personally, it was the best trail I've ever climbed. Just fantastic. Better even, so I've heard, then King's Ravine on Mount Adams. Just don't try it when there's even a hint of rain.

I would also not advise trying to descend this trail in any conditions. It's quite exposed in some spots and requires the occasional use of handholds.
Tim

Bill O
11-27-2007, 03:16 PM
Honestly, Huntington Ravine Trail for a second hike? Second hike ever! Not the best idea in my book.

Acrophobe
11-27-2007, 04:09 PM
Yeah, maybe not. It's not that bad till you hit the headwall, but then it gets exciting. Beautiful view, and a very enjoyable climb, but I should say that it's a dangerous ascent in places. You should be comfortable with hiking before you try it - it's the hardest trail on the hardest mountain in New Hampshire.

And like climbabout says, never attempt to descend on it - unless, of course, you're in a hurry and want to get down veeeery quickly. ;) For descent on that side of the mountain, I would say that Lion head is probably the best.

climbabout
11-27-2007, 06:37 PM
Honestly, Huntington Ravine Trail for a second hike? Second hike ever! Not the best idea in my book.

Couldn't agree with you more Bill. Well said.
Tim

Acrophobe
11-27-2007, 07:44 PM
I suppose they're right. Save Huntington for a day when you feel more comfortable on mountains. Just think, this way you'll have something to look forward to. :)

Brad
11-27-2007, 08:17 PM
I suppose they're right. Save Huntington for a day when you feel more comfortable on mountains. Just think, this way you'll have something to look forward to. :)
I have hiked to the summit of MW over 50 times and have yet to Huntington Ravine. Must be about time.

Acrophobe
11-27-2007, 10:09 PM
Ah, you're missing the best part of Washington. Last time I was there, we met a feller from Switzerland. Land of 15 k foot mountains, and he comes here to climb. Obviously, I'm sure he was just in the area for other reasons, but still.... ;)

I've done Tuckerman's, of course, and Lion Head, and Jewell, and a couple others, but Huntington was the most fun.

Trekker
11-28-2007, 04:07 PM
Like you, Brad, I've hiked Mt. Washington for over 30 years and had never been on the Huntington Ravine trail. I decided, this past summer, that it was time. I had been eyeing it the last few times I'd been up there, and was excited by the thought of it. I can honestly say it's one intense trail!! Probably the most difficult approach I know to the summit of Mt. Washington. Fascinating - exciting - gorgeous - breath-taking - these are some of the adjectives I'd use to describe it. As for these folks, on their second attempt - I wouldn't recommend it. If "I" were to take them, I'd go up the Jewell Trail - (I also took THAT trail this past summer on a different trip) and round trip down the Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail - with a stay at the Lakes of the Clouds hut. BEAUTIFUL views, from all along the Gulfside Trail, out into the Great Gulf . . .
I know, a lot of people do that loop in reverse - going UP the Ammonoosuc and down the Jewell, but, honestly, I prefer it the other way around.
Good luck folks . . . ultimately ANY trail up Mt. Washington is a good trail - just BEING there is good!

njgail11
12-11-2007, 08:01 PM
Thank you all for your advice, but if anyone else has any more input it would be appreciated. Thanks again

climbabout
12-13-2007, 01:52 PM
Gail - Trekker's suggestions are right on the money. I have been on both trails he speaks of. Perhaps you can tell us what you are looking for in your next hike - that would be helpful in our suggestions. Tuckermans is probably the shortest route to the summit. Most other trails will either be harder or longer. I have taken every trail to the summit (except the great gulf trail - I have only traveled it as far as Spaulding Lake) , so I may be of some help to you - as would many of the other members. The Jewell trail is probably the most gradual ascent to the top, with no steep sections that I can recall. The Ammo trail is moderately steep in sections and travels over some slabby spots, so it might be a bit tricky to descend in wet conditions.
Tim

njgail11
12-30-2007, 09:35 PM
climbabout, thanks I think me and my husband will try the jewell trail next. Also what month in the summer is the best for hiking Mount Washington you think.

FisherCat
12-30-2007, 10:10 PM
I prefer August, not too humid (for the most part), some cooler mornings(if you start early), and it warms up by mid-morning(for the most part)! How's that for a sure thing? Oh, and we usually aim for late August!

Brad
12-31-2007, 06:44 AM
Rarely have I done MW in June - but there is nothing wrong with it. The weather can be more winter than summer that month. I do July and August - and early September all the time. Pick a day based on the forecast and it is wonderful any of those months.

Steve M
12-31-2007, 07:30 AM
I tried May one year and I ended up not due to the weather. May can also be a tough month above tree line.

climbabout
01-02-2008, 07:45 AM
Bad weather can occur anytime during the year, but July and august give you perhaps the best chance of decent weather.
Tim