PDA

View Full Version : Google Maps now with Terrain

spyboy
11-27-2007, 09:35 PM
anyone notice Google Maps now has a terrain button? (in the upper right of the map)

http://tinyurl.com/36yrhf

Kirk

Acrophobe
11-27-2007, 09:38 PM
Neat, huh? I use that to plan my bike rides. Well, more accurately, Google Earth, but it's practically the same thing.

Mike D
11-28-2007, 09:10 AM
Did they remove the "hybrid" option?

spyboy
11-28-2007, 09:39 AM
They moved it (and renamed it).

Select "satellite" and then you'll see a checkbox for "labels" which is the overlay of roads/names (old Hybrid option)

Kirk

M_Six
11-28-2007, 11:30 PM
Ah, yes. Charleston, Illinois. In the foothills of Mount Level. :D I really miss hills. :(

spyboy
11-29-2007, 12:00 AM
I had that same problem in South Florida. The highest altitude gain was taking an overpass over I-95.

Ah, yes. Charleston, Illinois. In the foothills of Mount Level. :D I really miss hills. :(

Steve M
11-29-2007, 07:50 AM
I had that same problem in South Florida. The highest altitude gain was taking an overpass over I-95.
Go figure..................:rolleyes:

Patrad Fischroy
11-29-2007, 08:26 AM
Houston, Tx was much the same as well. Notwithstanding West Mt. Houston Road ( I have never been able to figure that one out), the highest point there was the bridge over the ship channel.

spyboy
11-29-2007, 09:09 AM
I was afraid of the "flatness" when I moved to Austin back in 2000, but that area is known as the Texas Hill Country, and it lived up to it's name. Not even close to Northern New Hampshire of course, but there was a decent amount of elevation.

I drove to New Mexico to ski (Ski Apache in Ruidoso), and after leaving the Hill Country, the highway drops down to a flat desert/scrub land type area, complete with mesa's (hey, I hadn't seen mesa's in person before) and stayed that way for hours until I reached the base of the Southern Rockies.

Driving through the desert with snowboards on the roof in 80+ degree heat was strange, but once I hit the base of the rockies and started climbing, the big pine trees and snowline appeared and I was in heaven!

On the way back, detoured 40 miles south of Roswell and went to Carlsbad Caverns, now that was an amazing time!

Kirk

M_Six
11-29-2007, 10:53 PM
We flew out to Ruidoso when I was in the Air Cav and bivouacked up in the hills near a reservoir. Gorgeous country, but we were woefully unprepared for the cold at night. I've always wanted to go back there. Someday, maybe.