PDA

View Full Version : Hiking Mts Tom, Field & Willey! - Oct 15

MtnMagic
10-14-2006, 06:25 AM
What: Hiking Mounts Tom, Field, and Willey!

When: Sunday, October 15 at 8:30AM

Who: At least 10 Hiking Enthusiasts

Where: Willey House Site
Route 302, Crawford Notch State Park
Bretton Woods NH 03575

Event Description:
You joined this hiking group -- so let us hike! Presenting the 4000 Foot Fitness & Fun Club. Hike all 48 4000' NH mountains, get in shape, stay in shape, and become a member of the AMC's 4000 Footer Club! Each week we'll hike a different mountain. You'll receive a scroll and an official AMC patch for your pack.

Hiking: Mounts Tom, Field and Willey is a moderate hike almost entirely below treeline for intermediate hikers. It's a very common 3 mountain combination, easier than many single intermediate 4,000 footers! This hike is 8.5 miles round trip, 3100' of elevation gain and a book time of 5 hours, 45 minutes.
Full wind and cool weather gear is required.

Where: Meet at the large Sam Willey House (brown log cabins) parking lot on Rte 302, 11 miles south of Rte 3 and about 3 miles south of the AMC's Highland Center. You'll see my fire red Neon.

Itinerary: We will spot a few cars at the Sam Willey parking lot then drive to Crawford Depot where we'll begin our hike on the Avalon Trail. We'll take the A-Z Trail, then the Mt Tom Spur Trail where we will summit, rest, and soak up the views! We'll retrace our steps and start on the Willey Range Trail. We'll walk over to Mt Field, stop to rest, and assess how each member is feeling. In case someone must bail, The Avalon Trail returns to Crawford Notch. The rest of us will continue 1.4 miles to the summit of Willey and its superb views. It is 2.6 miles back to our carspot via the Kedrom Flume Trail.

Notes: Sorry about the last minute post. Feel free to contact me with any concerns, questions, suggestions, etc. Make new friends, meet old friends!

Mike D
10-14-2006, 03:42 PM
I know it's the wrong trail and the wrong season, but I highly recommend the Willey Range Trail in the winter. It's very steep, but the descent offers excellent butt-sledding.

MtnMagic
10-14-2006, 07:49 PM
Yes, plenty steep going up Willey and some great glissading on the way down!

BTW: The Presis, Franconia Ridge, and I'm certain other places above 3800' have up to 2 inches of snow in the shade and just enought ice to make some sections treacherous. It may snow tomorrow afternoon. Woo-Hoo!