PDA

View Full Version : NIN's New Home

kkgreyhounds
12-06-2007, 11:45 AM
I haven't checked the comments in a few weeks, did I miss something? NIN is leaving the Summit? When? Where? Will there be a new mascot? :rolleyes:

bclark
12-06-2007, 12:02 PM
I haven't checked the comments in a few weeks, did I miss something? NIN is leaving the Summit? When? Where? Will there be a new mascot? :rolleyes:

Yes, Nin is retiring from the summit the day after Christmas. This decision was made a couple months ago after Nin had a few health problems. He is perfectly fine now that the health issues have been taken care of (he had a mouth full of bad teeth that had to be removed). However, Nin is about 17 years old now, so it was decided that the most humane thing to do at this point was to move him to a home in the valley where he could get immediate vet attention if he were to fall ill. If that were to happen on the summit in the dead of winter, there may not be an opportunity to get him down for a couple of days.

It will be very sad to see Nin leave, however I am glad to say that there will be a sucessor to Nin. The Conway Humane Society has already offered to donate a new cat and they have even suggested one that they think would be suited well to life on the summit. As one of the summit crew, I love having a cat up here. It would feel strange not having one.

When Nin does leave on December 26th, he will be going to live with Diane Holmes and Mike Pelchat. Mike is the manager of the Mount Washington State Park and Diane is one of the long time employees of the State Park. Both of them have been here since Nin was first brought up in the early 90's and I am positive that they will provide a wonderful new home for him.

telekitr
12-07-2007, 07:05 AM
Its hard to make decisions when it comes to members of the family but you're doing the right thing. Thanks for being such great human ambassadors for those that can't always make the decisions for themselves:)

spyboy
12-07-2007, 11:35 AM
I hope Nin will still contribute to the observer comments every once in a while, I mean, he will be observing the weather from his new home, and I'm sure he'll be perched in the window watching intently. :)

K

Charlie
12-07-2007, 07:55 PM
i hope Nins new home will have a computer for him to check the cams and the weather up top and also so he can check in on the forum froum time to time .

Steve M
12-08-2007, 08:54 AM
And lets not forget about Nin's notes. He will have to give his 2 cents worth in Windswept.

Patrad Fischroy
12-08-2007, 11:23 AM
My thought is that his comments may dwell on the loss of different, new laps to be explored. I am sure that he will be loved and well cared for, but to lose the ability to travel on that never-ending quest for the perfect lap to sleep on, well it might be somewhat depressing for poor Nin. But, if you are reading, while old quests can be hard to drop, there is always the quest for the perfect position on just a few laps, and I am sure that there will always be company coming by. So best of fortune on your new home, may it be a long and prosperous retirement. Please drop a line here occasionally to let us know how you are doing. I am sure any new summit cat would appreciate your words of wisdom to help them acclimate to their new surroundings.

Pete S
12-13-2007, 11:06 PM
Everyone can rest assured that Nin will be more than OK-- Often,
when the OBS living room was full to watch a movie, Nin quite often choose to sleep on Mike or Diane"s lap. Nin also enjoyed watching the 6 pm news with Diane---Nin has ended up in as close as you can get to Animal Nirvana in Gorham..... Many thanks to Mike and Diane!

Does Red miss Nin.....

Pete

Mike D
12-14-2007, 10:39 AM
Does Red miss Nin.....

He'll miss the food bowl more than anything. :)

Steve M
12-14-2007, 12:49 PM
Everyone can rest assured that Nin will be more than OK-- Often,
when the OBS living room was full to watch a movie, Nin quite often choose to sleep on Mike or Diane"s lap. Nin also enjoyed watching the 6 pm news with Diane---Nin has ended up in as close as you can get to Animal Nirvana in Gorham..... Many thanks to Mike and Diane!

Does Red miss Nin.....

Pete
Sounds like Nin will have it made then.

MelNino
12-22-2007, 11:23 AM
wow, I am happy I saw Nin on my last hike up. I wish him the best in his kitty retirement.....17 years old!! This is the best for him.....good decision :D

New summit kitty? Hmm....a new reason to hike up.

Daphne
12-31-2007, 02:55 AM
Dear Nin,

My name is Daphne. I am a two year old kitten living in Missouri (or at least my person tells me so; I was a stray and then a gift, so I have no idea). My person read about you on cnn.com and told me about you. I wanted you to know that I was very impressed by your story and hope that you enjoy retirement. You deserve all the best, now and forever, and I want you to know that other cats who have never had the luxury of living in an observatory are both proud of your service and jealous of your opportunities.

May your golden years be as fruitful and happy as any that have come before. I would write you more, but there is a shiny object I can make out just out of the corner of my eye, so I have pouncing to do.

Yours truly,

Daphne the Cat
Springfield, MO

Charlie
12-31-2007, 02:32 PM
Dear Nin,

My name is Daphne. I am a two year old kitten living in Missouri (or at least my person tells me so; I was a stray and then a gift, so I have no idea). My person read about you on cnn.com and told me about you. I wanted you to know that I was very impressed by your story and hope that you enjoy retirement. You deserve all the best, now and forever, and I want you to know that other cats who have never had the luxury of living in an observatory are both proud of your service and jealous of your opportunities.

May your golden years be as fruitful and happy as any that have come before. I would write you more, but there is a shiny object I can make out just out of the corner of my eye, so I have pouncing to do.

Yours truly,

Daphne the Cat
Springfield, MO

looks like the word got around good ,a lot of TV time good for mwo :D

thanks for checking out the site Daphne ,so stop back to see the new cat on top of the USA .

Mike D
12-31-2007, 03:59 PM
There are very few cats on these forums. Perhaps we should start up a "Rodents and Leftovers" section to increase their numbers.

Breeze
12-31-2007, 06:58 PM
Something tells me Red doesn't miss many tidbits from Obs/SP living. Chris does kep him pretty svelte, though. The new Summit cat will owe a huge debt of gratitide to Nin for teaching Red that CATS RULE.

Breeze