PDA

View Full Version : Summit Radio Expeditions

tpmcd
12-15-2007, 12:04 AM
I'm curious to know if any past or present staff or volunteers are ham radio operators and whether or not they've done any operating from the top? That elevation would certainly be nice.

Tim (ARS N9PUZ)

Mike D
12-15-2007, 01:49 PM
I'm not aware of any recent staff members who have done this, but maybe there's someone out there from the past who knows...

Indoor reception is limited by the northern orientation of the building and the thick concrete walls. When I was an intern, though, I could hear CBC radio loud and clear. I also got an AM station that I think was out of Rochester, NY.

Brad
12-15-2007, 04:26 PM
I'm curious to know if any past or present staff or volunteers are ham radio operators and whether or not they've done any operating from the top? That elevation would certainly be nice.

Tim (ARS N9PUZ)
Growing up in RI I used to listen to ham operators all over the world at night. The summit would be such a great location. How about becoming a volunteer and seeing how it works - and give us updates here on the forum?

Charlie
12-15-2007, 09:36 PM
well i would give it a try but all i have is a handheld for 2 meter
N3WGV

EricJ
12-16-2007, 02:23 PM
Joe Dodge brought shortwave to the top in 1926. The lower bands of Ham are in these frequencies.

h2oeco
12-16-2007, 03:47 PM
I am licensed, but have little or no equipment. I will be up at the summit as a volunteer in late March, and would be willing to give someone's handheld a try.

Ed

hobbes
12-17-2007, 10:09 AM
Thanks for the reminder that I really should get a new license one of these days :)

formerly PY1-YAU

Mike D
12-18-2007, 03:47 PM
There is a ham repeater on the summit:

Location Output Offset Input AutoPatch/PL Call Sign
Mt Washington 146.655 - 146.055 100.0 W1NH

List of repeaters in NH:
http://www.artscipub.com/repeaters/states/New-Hampshire.asp

A former staff member by the name of Al is K1OIQ and we have a current trustee named Mack whose call sign is W1PNR.

Thanks to Pete S for the tip and Ken R (offline) for the information.

tpmcd
12-23-2007, 11:21 PM
Growing up in RI I used to listen to ham operators all over the world at night. The summit would be such a great location. How about becoming a volunteer and seeing how it works - and give us updates here on the forum?

My wife and I visited for a day in October of 2007, just before it was closed down for the winter. I think it would be very interesting to volunteer but it's a long way from Central Illinois.

Tim

Brad
12-24-2007, 10:50 AM
My wife and I visited for a day in October of 2007, just before it was closed down for the winter. I think it would be very interesting to volunteer but it's a long way from Central Illinois.

Tim
Steve is doing it from Florida. If I could cook I would be doing it from NC. Go for it!

Charlie
12-24-2007, 06:42 PM
Steve is doing it from Florida. If I could cook I would be doing it from NC. Go for it!

brad if you want i will do the cooking part you do the cleaning and keeping the observers in line

Brad
12-24-2007, 08:09 PM
brad if you want i will do the cooking part you do the cleaning and keeping the observers in line
Cleaning I can do. The rest might be a bit of a stretch.

Charlie
12-24-2007, 09:04 PM
Cleaning I can do. The rest might be a bit of a stretch.

well if you would like to do this let me know I'm up for it :D i don't if they will be ,but if they survive steves cooking :eek: then i have it made ;) ;)

Charlie
12-27-2007, 11:56 AM
well if you would like to do this let me know I'm up for it :D
i don't if they will be ,but if they survive steves cooking :eek: then i have it made ;) ;)

i have no idea what i was trying to say with this part in red :confused: :confused: :confused:

Brad
12-27-2007, 06:15 PM
i have no idea what i was trying to say with this part in red :confused: :confused: :confused:
Must have been real late at night.

Steve M
12-27-2007, 07:21 PM
Must have been real late at night.
I don't know about that, his time stamp says almost noon.:p

Brad
12-27-2007, 07:29 PM
I don't know about that, his time stamp says almost noon.:p
He probably just up then.

Steve M
12-27-2007, 10:45 PM
He probably just up then.
OK, we can cut him some slack. I seem to remember a time when I asked what direction the camera was facing to catch the sunrise.:o

Brad
12-28-2007, 09:11 AM
OK, we can cut him some slack. I seem to remember a time when I asked what direction the camera was facing to catch the sunrise.:o
Gee, since you bring that up again . . . :cool: