PDA

View Full Version : What Do Dogs Eat?

Jimmy Legs and Little d
12-18-2007, 08:55 PM
I've seen several threads about what to eat on long hikes but never anything about what's good to give our dogs to keep up with their nutritional needs.

mk10
12-19-2007, 04:14 AM
I think dogs eat dogfood :p

Steve M
12-19-2007, 08:15 AM
I think dogs eat dogfood :p
What...no doggie trail bars or doggie trail mix?

donnellyvj
12-19-2007, 09:10 AM
Prime Rib makes for happy dogs.:p. My Boston sunny would want to hike all the time.

Mike D
12-19-2007, 10:06 AM
I would bring extra water, a water bowl, some crunchies, and some biscuits. Check the nutritional label and buy the biscuits with the highest carbs and calories.

Charlie
12-19-2007, 05:42 PM
dogs are different then us ,if a dog is in good shape and eats a good food every day they do not need the power type food that we eat .like mike said bring a lot of water for a dog they need the water more then the power type food .
i have a working bloodhound and i do nothing different about here food and we can look for people all day long and she does OK .

Bill O
12-19-2007, 06:18 PM
Wouldn't regular, dry dog food go a long way? I imagine if they burn more calories than normal they need to replace them.

If your dog is big enough make him carry his own food and water. And maybe some of your stuff.

Steve M
12-19-2007, 11:33 PM
I have had my dog in the woods with me down here and she is great. A few doggie treats and some food and she's fine. I would love to take her with me up there but she likes to bark at strangers and campsites frown on that.

KD Talbot
12-20-2007, 05:05 PM
We've been hiking the Whites with our dog Emma for seven years now,and
she's got all her 4000 footers at least twice. She eats a combination of dog
and people food on the trail. Cheese is a good choice for us and her. We also
take treats like Pupperoni sticks for a quick snack. Lately we've been bringing
beef jerky- she loves that. She will eat dry food out there as well, but that's
usually her last choice. She sometimes gets cold cuts or cold cooked chicken strips that
you can buy all packaged at the supermarket. Some people don't feed their
dogs much out there, but we find that Emma is ravenous on the trail! Of course, she has her own water bottle as well.
By the way, Emma is on the small side- about 23 lbs. and 13 inches tall.

Judy

Brad
12-20-2007, 06:16 PM
Right - if you don't feed her, she will not take you along next time.

msiesco
02-25-2008, 12:25 PM
Check out Chicken Jerky for dogs. All of the preservatives and fillers in regular dry dog food is really unhealthy for dogs. Sadly, due to convenience factors, the large majority of dogs will continue eating it, but if you can, during demanding hikes, I'd recommend keeping some natural food like raw meat(in this case the dried chicken) in your pack and mixing it up a bit.
You can find this stuff at Wal-Mart or really any store, and the only ingredient is chicken breast and my dog goes CRAZY for these.

donnellyvj
02-26-2008, 09:57 AM
Google B.A.R.F. (Biologically Appropriate Raw Food) its a website for raw food for dogs. Alot of stuff that we eat as you most likely know is very bad for dogs.