PDA

View Full Version : Observer Comments Written to Santa

Santa
12-20-2007, 11:11 AM
Dear Ryan,

As you suspected I DID check your website this morning, even before checking my naughty and nice list. I was happy to see that you wrote to me, and in fact, had been concerned that I did not receive a letter from you sooner (though I realize it is hard to mail anything at 6,288 feet, in the middle of winter)! Clearly the post office didn't have Mount Washington weather in mind when they came up with their motto!

Regarding naughty and nice, initially, I was worried when I saw you and Brian fighting, but then I realized it was just to put on a good show for the members.! For a moment, I thought I might have to put the two of you on the "naughty" list!

We'll see what my elves and I can do about your Christmas list... As you know, it is quite difficult to get to the summit in the winter, even with flying reindeer! If it is not too much to ask, a landing zone or runway marked out on the observation deck, and some magic oats for the reindeer, would be ideal!

See you soon!

Merry Christmas!

Ho! Ho! Ho!

Santa

P.S. If you see any bad weather on Christmas Eve, be sure to let me know!

spyboy
12-20-2007, 12:01 PM
Santa,

How do you de-ice the reindeer?

Kirk

Mike D
12-20-2007, 12:33 PM
Santa,

How do you de-ice the reindeer?

Kirk

Not with a crowbar I hope!

Brad
12-20-2007, 02:39 PM
Maybe Santa has a heated skirt?

Mike D
12-20-2007, 03:17 PM
Maybe Santa has a heated skirt?

Only in Scotland.

Santa
12-20-2007, 03:27 PM
Just like technology helps the observatory, things have come a long way since the old days for me too! It used to be that I had to make do with fur robes, fur lined mittens, and the like.

Now, I've found that layering works best - long underwear, fleece, down, and Goretex - much like the observers wear - all play a role. My current suit actually consists of a a Goretex shell, with a fleece lining (custom made by L. L. Bean (http://www.mountwashington.org/goto/llbean) of course!) - the fake fur trim is just to keep up appearances.

Regarding the reindeer, we avoid icing problems by flying low in the rural areas - the sleigh now has terrain-following radar, and a FLIR camera! In populated areas we do have to fly higher, and do have to worry about icing. I have a heated lab robe and boots (electric), and the reindeer have electrically heated vests. We generate electricity using wind turbines, and the high speed allows them to produce enough power to keep themselves de-iced, and to keep us warm (unliked the unsuccessful wind turbine experiments at the summit). At lower altitudes (where we might be seen) the reindeer take off their vests, so that no one learns our secrets!

Kirk, you're sliding down my list towards "naughty." Shape up! Brad and Mike, keep up the good work!

Have a Merry Christmas, and for those of you on the summit, watch out for low flying reindeer!

Santa

Bill O
12-20-2007, 05:33 PM
Only in Scotland.

That might be the best joke I've heard all year.

Charlie
12-20-2007, 05:43 PM
Santa is it possible to bring Steve in FL a little snow when your down there [ about 3ft on his lawn will work ]:D :D

Santa
12-20-2007, 06:47 PM
Perhaps if Steve truly believes in me... At Christmas time, miracles do happen...

Borat S
12-20-2007, 07:09 PM
Jagshemash.

Instead of netflix dvd Christmas I think we buy more shovels for summit crew.

That way they are strong like famous Kazakh weight lifter Bakhyt Akhmetov. After me his is most famous man in all of Kazakhstan. He's nice.

I like you, I like Mountain Washington.

Brad
12-20-2007, 07:42 PM
Jagshemash.

Instead of netflix dvd Christmas I think we buy more shovels for summit crew.

That way they are strong like famous Kazakh weight lifter Bakhyt Akhmetov. After me his is most famous man in all of Kazakhstan. He's nice.

I like you, I like Mountain Washington.
It is nice to see you are still around.

Charlie
12-20-2007, 07:50 PM
OK on the DVDs

i have some and i am willing to send them up for you to watch but i would like some of them back at some time [ and if some thing happens to them thats OK ] i some times go back i a year or so and look at them again .we can put our name and address on them to be shipped back to the owner .

sounds good or not ?

spyboy
12-20-2007, 09:48 PM
In response to request #12, I've got a Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker that I've probably used 2 times or so. You freeze the metal core part (it has that gel stuff inside the metal housing) and then put it back in the unit and pour cream in the top and it spins around, slowly turning into ice cream, then you can add other ingredients through the top.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/416VBTW7HNL._AA280_.jpg

I'd gladly donate it to the observers and can bring it up to North Conway next time I'm heading up to snowboard at Bretton Woods.

Kirk

Steve M
12-20-2007, 11:29 PM
Oh Santa I DO BELIEVE! I haven't been Naughty all year either. Send me snow for Christmas...Lots of it too. I will put out lots of cookies and milk for you. It will be an all you can eat cookie buffet!:D

P.S. As for that Borat guy, he's crazy!

Santa
12-20-2007, 11:56 PM
I'll see what I can do Steve... By the way - I prefer homemade chocolate chip cookies, and skim milk (Mrs. Claus has me on a bit of a diet these days...)

Santa

Brad
12-21-2007, 04:50 AM
Oh Santa I DO BELIEVE! I haven't been Naughty all year either. Send me snow for Christmas...Lots of it too. I will put out lots of cookies and milk for you. It will be an all you can eat cookie buffet!:D

P.S. As for that Borat guy, he's crazy!
You had better watch what you are saying! The "S" in "Borat S" might stand for Santa. The "S" in "Jim S" might stand for Santa too. So, you better watch out. You never know whose telling you why.

Steve M
12-22-2007, 07:19 PM
I'll watch my P's and Q's.....and my S's.:)

Mike D
12-22-2007, 09:39 PM
I think an ice cream maker is an odd item for the Christmas list, but nevertheless, I'm sure they will appreciate your donation.

BTW, Manchester -> Bretton Woods does not take you through North Conway, unless it's a nice scenic drive you're looking for.

In response to request #12, I've got a Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker that I've probably used 2 times or so. You freeze the metal core part (it has that gel stuff inside the metal housing) and then put it back in the unit and pour cream in the top and it spins around, slowly turning into ice cream, then you can add other ingredients through the top.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/416VBTW7HNL._AA280_.jpg

I'd gladly donate it to the observers and can bring it up to North Conway next time I'm heading up to snowboard at Bretton Woods.

Kirk

spyboy
12-26-2007, 09:16 PM
Ok, I'll swing by on my way home. Last time I was up at Bretton Woods I drove back through North Conway (yes, the scenic way, but it looked nice all lit up for the holidays). I would have stopped by, but I could barely walk from a day (my first day of the season) of snowboarding in the glades, my legs were all wobbly!

BTW, Manchester -> Bretton Woods does not take you through North Conway, unless it's a nice scenic drive you're looking for.

Steve M
12-26-2007, 10:03 PM
Well, I'm not sure what happened. The snow I was expecting for Christmas turned out to be all rain. :( It must have been the skim milk and the fat free cookies. Maybe next year I will get it right.

Santa
12-26-2007, 11:32 PM
Sorry about that Steve. I didn't mind the skim milk and fat free cookies, but there are only so many miracles that I can bring about each Christmas... Snow in Monticello, Florida is pretty tough to pull off!

But you did get some of the other things that you asked for, so it wasn't all bad, right?

:-)

I'll be back next year!

Santa

Steve M
12-27-2007, 07:32 AM
No problem, Santa. Maybe I will make your job a little easier by moving farther north.:)

Brad
12-27-2007, 09:17 AM
I stopped by in N Conway yesterday and Mike D was not there. Scot was not there. I was able to wish a Merry Christmas to all those hard working folks who were there.

Santa
12-27-2007, 10:13 AM
No problem, Santa. Maybe I will make your job a little easier by moving farther north.:)

Moving north to colder, snowier weather is ALWAYS a good idea in my opinion, (though I may be a bit biased...)

Santa

Mike D
12-27-2007, 10:30 AM
I stopped by in N Conway yesterday and Mike D was not there. Scot was not there. I was able to wish a Merry Christmas to all those hard working folks who were there.

Sorry Brad, we were bringing our 1 year old on a trip to see his grandparents.

Brad
12-27-2007, 06:14 PM
Sorry Brad, we were bringing our 1 year old on a trip to see his grandparents.
A very good excuse. :cool: