PDA

View Full Version : Holiday Lighthouse...

JimS
12-21-2007, 05:28 AM
This has nothing to do with the mountain, but I liked this shot...

I took it during the Norlun snow event Thursday evening at York Beach, Maine amidst a ground blizzard and 35mph winds. There was enough snow in the air to act as a reflector, brightening the whole image and cutting direct light from the Christmas lights. I like the effect of the long exposure on the water too...

I'm heading home to NJ for a bit, Happy Holidays to all on here!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2240/2125936788_2642dac2ed.jpg

Bretton Woods Brat
12-21-2007, 05:45 AM
Nice shot Jim... I hope you enjoyed the video I made, thanks for sharing all your great work!;)

Brad
12-21-2007, 05:56 AM
Very nice picture Jim. Have a safe and wonderful NJ trip.

forestgnome
12-21-2007, 06:22 AM
...another nice image!

What was you WB, and what are your thoughts on WB for nightime sky shooting?

Also, does your camera's screen show a brighter image than it is when you upload it to your computer? This happens to me with my Canon 400D XTi.

Merry Christmas!

JimS
12-21-2007, 08:29 AM
...another nice image!

What was you WB, and what are your thoughts on WB for nightime sky shooting?

Also, does your camera's screen show a brighter image than it is when you upload it to your computer? This happens to me with my Canon 400D XTi.

Merry Christmas!

Thanks Gnome...

I shot this raw, and moved the color temperature pretty cool in order to keep a blue tint to the atmosphere. That's the best part of RAW, fixing the white balance later.

As for the camera's screen at night...UGGGG... Not that the conditions were ripe for looking at it, but yes, I typically get shots well underexposed, and well darker than I thought. I think it's because your eyes are adjusted to the dark and are more sensitive to the screen when it previews.

This came out nearly a full stop underexposed. I brought it back about halfway in raw, and called it done.

h2oeco
12-21-2007, 10:57 AM
Great picture Jim - I live on the coast of NJ, so water matters to me...

What part of NJ are you from?

Ed

JimS
12-21-2007, 12:59 PM
I'm origionally from Morris County. Moved away about 5 years ago...my family still lives there...

KD Talbot
12-21-2007, 08:55 PM
Beautiful as always! Here's my feeble attempt at Merry Christmas!

http://www.ghostflowers.com/forumshots/xmas1.jpg

From my dock.

KDT

Charlie
12-21-2007, 09:11 PM
nice pictures

Steve M
12-22-2007, 07:21 PM
That is Nubble light isn't it. It looks beautiful this time of year.