PDA

View Full Version : Nin's trip down the Mountain

RU98A
12-25-2007, 04:16 PM
Will someone please post about Nin's trip down the mountain tomorrow (I bet he won't like the trip) and please post about the new cat when it arrives. Need name and pictures if possible. :)

KD Talbot
12-26-2007, 08:23 PM
The Union Leader had this story today:

http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=NH%27s+top+cat+retires+from+ Mt.+Washington+perch&articleId=be9fe939-a410-4aad-aaeb-d3affcfd7ad1

They quoted Steve's ode to Nin from another thread.

KDT

Brad
12-26-2007, 08:42 PM
Nice article - and very nice comments posted by others at the bottom.

spyboy
12-27-2007, 09:57 PM
Nin made CNN's site too!

http://www.cnn.com/2007/LIVING/worklife/12/27/cat.retires.ap/index.html

MelNino
12-27-2007, 10:14 PM
Best of luck to you, Nin!

Bill O
12-28-2007, 03:34 PM
Nin made the New York Post today. A very small article his summit departure made the newspaper.

Mike D
12-28-2007, 09:05 PM
Not a bad haul. Few humans (let alone felines) make this many newspapers without committing a crime or falling victim to one.

http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ned=us&ie=UTF-8&ncl=1125400011

Steve M
12-28-2007, 09:30 PM
Way to go Nin. You left your mark on the mountain, as well as the hearts of those who have been graced by you through the years.

Breeze
01-01-2008, 06:33 PM
I talked to Mike Pelchat today just briefly and asked how Nin is settling in at his new home.

Mike and Diane have 2 other kitties, one older than Nin and one much younger. Nin is giving the older one a lot of respect and space, but seems to enjoy giving the younger one some flack. All as Mike and Diane expected.... so they are being proactive with 'guest privileges", giving Nin some private "man-room" time in Mike's home office.

Mike says he is eating like horse, but looks kind of longingly at the Rockpile as though he expects someone to come collect him and bring hm back up, LOLOLOL.

All is fine, Nin is working his way into the "family" and the expected squabbles are just the way cats work out the " pecking order". Nin has been an only cat for most of his life, and ALL of his time on the Summit, so it is GOOD that he is interacting in a totally appropriate way!

Happy New Year Nin!

Breeze

h2oeco
01-01-2008, 06:38 PM
Thanks for the Nin update!

Ed

Breeze
01-01-2008, 07:16 PM
you are welcome!

Mike takes some shifts on Ski Patrol at Wildcat during the winter, so I do see him off and on.

No need to turn a least hair about the care Nin will receive in his new home. Mike and Diane are just the best. They and Chris Uggerholt ( also with MWSP, Red's owner) will be THE first to volunteer on a rescue call for a 4 legged hiking casualty on mountain, they are so dedicated to the furry companions who light our lives.

Breeze

JimS
01-01-2008, 08:45 PM
you are welcome!

Mike takes some shifts on Ski Patrol at Wildcat during the winter, so I do see him off and on.

No need to turn a least hair about the care Nin will receive in his new home. Mike and Diane are just the best. They and Chris Uggerholt ( also with MWSP, Red's owner) will be THE first to volunteer on a rescue call for a 4 legged hiking casualty on mountain, they are so dedicated to the furry companions who light our lives.

Breeze

Oddly that you mention it...my first rescue that I took part in during my internship was with Mike, carrying a 4 legged hiker up the mountain...a huge german sheppard whose pads didn't get along to well with the rocks above treeline. Mike was supurb, dog was bandaged and sent down to recover!

Steve M
01-01-2008, 10:56 PM
It's great to see as much compassion for for our four legged friends as there is for people on the mountain.

bclark
01-02-2008, 09:08 PM
Nin has been an only cat for most of his life, and ALL of his time on the Summit...

Breeze

Actually, when Nin was first brought up, he shared the summit with Jasper for a little while until Jasper retired. From what I hear, they did not get along too well and Nin kind of took over, haha.

Mike D
01-02-2008, 09:30 PM
It's sometimes easier to help people, since they can understand what it is you're doing; a dog can't exactly be told why they're being strapped to a litter and hauled around by strangers. How did the shepherd take it?

carrying a 4 legged hiker up the mountain...a huge german sheppard whose pads didn't get along to well with the rocks above treeline.

Steph
01-02-2008, 10:03 PM
As a driver of 13 years for the Auto Road in the summer as well as the Snowcoach in the winter, I have witnesses a couple of Nin's trips down the mountain. I was bringing some folks up to treeline on Nin's trip down the mountain and I briefly chatted with the Snowcat Driver, Wayne, about how Nin was feeling about his trip off the mountain. He stated that all was well and he looked content as he peered out of his cat carrier while riding on the co-pilot's lap in the front seat of the Snowcat. He certainly seemed less stressed as the day they evacuated the summit due to the generator fire a few years back.

h2oeco
01-02-2008, 10:03 PM
Speaking of cats, how long/when did Inga live on the summit?

Ed

KathyC
01-06-2008, 08:52 PM
I'm really happy to read that Nin is adjusting to his new home. I heard that he was leaving when I watched GMA the Monday before Thanksgiving and was sad to hear it. What a perfect morning that was weather wise, the views were terrific...

bclark
01-07-2008, 11:35 AM
Speaking of cats, how long/when did Inga live on the summit?

Ed

I'm not sure exactly how long she was up here, but it was quite a while. She was up here to a ripe old age, much like Nin. I am sure that Ken Rancourt will know. I will ask him next time I talk to him.

spyboy
01-07-2008, 12:01 PM
So Nin really IS the Old Man of the Mountain...

K