PDA

View Full Version : Best Ski Forecast Website

brighton27
12-26-2007, 02:38 PM
Anyone know of any legit ski forecast websites besides the typicalls (snocountry.com, skinh.com, onthesnow.com, etc) unless im really missing something on those particular ones, they seem pretty vague.

Im just looking for a solid site that focuses on ski country (nh,vt, me) forecasts, chance of fresh snowfall, etc. Most ski resort sites are full of it when it comes to what they post on their sites to get people to come up...

Thanks,
Joe

Bill O
12-26-2007, 04:17 PM
Most ski resort sites are full of it when it comes to what they post on their sites to get people to come up...

Thanks,
Joe

All of those sites just grab the information from each ski area and put it all on one page. So they wont help with that. Short of somebody going to each ski area and measuring the snow themselves you just have to take their word.

I find the ski area webcams and National Weather Service forecasts to be the most reliable.

Neil
12-27-2007, 12:24 AM
Their winter weather/heavy snowfall forecasts are some of the best in my opinion. Their discussions are very good as well. They are somewhat regionally oriented, in that they forecast nation wide, so that they will not be going into great detail about specific orographic factors that can greatly change snowfall amounts in parts of the Northeast. That said they do still take a close look at favored terrain during snow events. They are also really only concerned with snowfall amounts greater than 4 inches per forecast period so it is not a good source for minor storms.

You can check out their various products here.

http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/wwd/winter_wx.shtml

I particularly like their graphics, as I find them very clear and to the point.
I would also highly recommend their surface low tracks maps
http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/lowtracks/lowtrack.gif

These maps a good for getting a sense for the uncertainty of a given storm because the plot all the different projected positions from each different model that they use for their consensus forecasts.

-Neil Lareau

KD Talbot
12-27-2007, 08:01 PM
Hey stranger, welcome to the forum!

KDT