PDA

View Full Version : Need New Boots

CHRIS
12-27-2007, 08:19 AM
I am going to pick up some new hiking boots and I am looking for any kind of feedback on what other people have and thier likes and dislikes.I was thinking maybe something with goretex for water proof and breathability. What do you all have or think.
Thanks in advance
Chris

I was just looking at the Rei site and seen Vasque Breeze gore-tex XCR and
Vasque Wasatch GTX hiking boots does anybody have any experince with one of these?
Thanks again
Chris

KD Talbot
12-27-2007, 07:59 PM
I've hiked the NH 48 4k's 3 times in the last 10 years and scores of smaller hills. Every inch of the way was in Vasques. They are a great 3 season boot.

You don't mention winter, so these would definitely do you well for the other 3 seasons. You can use them in winter, I just wouldn't recommend using them on long treks or above tree line.

Whatever you buy you want them to be Gore-tex. Water-proof/breathable, although you will meet many, including myself, who'll say it is neither. It is known as the greatest marketing campaign, ever. That said, it will hold up under all but the most extreme conditions. Water-proof does you no good if your foot goes in deeper than the boot and it fills with water. This sounds funny, but you will run into these conditions on some stream crossings. Also, in the pouring rain the water runs down your leg and into your shoe. Again, what good is water-proof? A good pair of water-proof pants or gaiters goes a long way to keeping your boot water-proof.

The other thing I would recommend would be Vibram soles. I've had boots without them and they seem to not perform very well on wet, slippery rocks. Vibram seems to me to be the best that I've used on this type of surface. Others may disagree.

These are the pair I have right now. I've had 3 pairs of these and like them a lot, though they don't have the vibram soles. I wear a different pair in wet weather above tree line.

http://www.rei.com/product/629096

KDT

CHRIS
12-27-2007, 08:13 PM
Thanks KDT for the quick reply the info was very helpful. The one I am looking at do have the Vibram sole and goretex. I will put the links to the ones I am looking at . Thanks again.
Chris
http://www.rei.com/product/721359
and
http://www.rei.com/product/737707

KD Talbot
12-27-2007, 08:34 PM
I'm not trying to dissuade you from buying either of those boots, but...
I had a pair similar to the Wasatch. They may have even been Wasatch. Note the gray rubber on both pairs just above the soles. This for some reason is made of very soft rubber. This got chewed up by the trail pretty quickly in my opinion. I think I only got one or two seasons out of that pair of boots. Why exactly this layer of rubber is incorporated into the design is beyond me. I found it tore really easily. Just a heads up on that. Otherwise, I would say they are good boots.

Has anybody out there had a bad experience or dissatisfaction with Vasques?

KDT

CHRIS
12-28-2007, 06:59 AM
Thanks again KDT. After looking at the Wasatch again I see what you are talking about. Right now I am leaning towards the Breeze boots they seem to have good reviews from the Rei web site.
Of course I still have to get to Rei and try them on and see what else they have there. Thanks again and have a safe and happy New Year
Chris

rockin rex
12-28-2007, 09:11 AM
I swear by vasque and when anyone ask me I steer them towards vasque. I worked at E.M.S. and Campmor in Paramus and never heard one bad word about Vasque. K.D. as usual is right on in his choice. It is worth the extra money to get them with gore-tex. Wet feet don't make for fun hiking.

kaseri
12-28-2007, 10:38 AM
My recommendation is to find something that fits. Sounds obvious but I've had more issues with footwear than I care to remember. I've ended up up trail runners and have never been happier.

Bill O
12-28-2007, 03:40 PM
I prefer below ankle hiking shoes. I'll trade speed and light weight for ankle injury risk. I also like the gore-tex models. Other than that I can't recommend a specific shoe as I haven't bought new hikers in at least 5 years. A sad testimony to how little hiking I've been doing lately.

mtruman
12-28-2007, 05:06 PM
My recommendation is to find something that fits. Sounds obvious but I've had more issues with footwear than I care to remember. I've ended up up trail runners and have never been happier.

I echo this opinion. There's no perfect shoe for everyone. I bought a pair of Vasque Breeze's last winter at Lahout's in Lincoln. They were unbelievably comfortable in the store but after I got them home and got out with them the first time everything changed. My feet are hard to fit - flat arches, wide feet and an achilles problem. While these shoes felt great the heel cup is a bit deep and the back of the shoe curves in slightly - putting too much pressure on the achilles. I sadly had to return them after I thought I had found something perfect. What I'm currently using is a pair of REI boots that I bought at their "garage sale". Somebody else returned them (after a significant break in) because they were uncomfortable. I bought them for $25 and they are the most comfortable thing I've ever had on my feet. Don't know what I'm going to do when they wear out since REI doesn't have this model anymore. Bottom line is, try on lots of shoes and get what feels best for you.

Another thing to keep in mind is that most hiking shoes and boots (even the expensive ones) come with lousy insoles. It's worth the investment in a good replacement pair as soon as you get them out of the box. I like the Spenco Hikers for backpacking boots http://www.spenco.com/product/92-hiker For my low hikers the best thing I've found is the SOLE custom footbeds which are heat moldable custom fit. http://www.rei.com/product/752606 I use the ones made for running but there are a model for hiking with a bit more padding which I haven't tried. At $45 a bit expensive, but worth every penny. Same story here as with the shoes - find what works best for you. One of the best things about REI is that they will let you return anything including custom insoles that have been cut to fit and used. The salesperson there encouraged me to keep trying and returning until I found something that worked (which is how I wound up with the SOLEs after trying almost everything else in the store).

Good luck and happy hiking

CHRIS
12-28-2007, 06:52 PM
Thanks for everybodies inputs I am going to try to get to Rei this weekend but I don't know if I am going to be able to. If not I will definetly be there next weekend. I hope everybody has a very safe and happy New year.
Chris

Steve M
12-28-2007, 08:33 PM
I bought a pair of Merrells last summer at EMS in North Conway and hiked nine miles in them the next day. They were great. My feet were grateful for good quality trail runners.

Mike D
12-28-2007, 08:49 PM
I remember when I was an intern I was issued the LL Bean summer boots. I put a lot of trail behind me that summer, all of it above treeline. In one particular week I must have hiked 50 miles (not bad for hikes squeezed in before and after 10 hour work days). By the end of August the heel tread was worn down to nubs. They did quite well considering the terrain.

Steve M
12-28-2007, 09:36 PM
I remember when I was an intern
Oh, come on Mike, your not old enough to remember that far back.:D

Mike D
12-29-2007, 09:28 PM
Oh, come on Mike, your not old enough to remember that far back.:D

Are you saying I'm too young to have remembered or not old enough to have forgotten?

Steve M
12-29-2007, 10:29 PM
Are you saying I'm too young to have remembered or not old enough to have forgotten?
I'm saying to remember something so far back you are not old enough to remember...unless you are so old that you just think you remember but actually are remembering something all together different than what you think you remember.:D

Charlie
12-29-2007, 11:29 PM
Thanks again KDT. After looking at the Wasatch again I see what you are talking about. Right now I am leaning towards the Breeze boots they seem to have good reviews from the Rei web site.
Of course I still have to get to Rei and try them on and see what else they have there. Thanks again and have a safe and happy New Year
Chris

i just looked at these boots and i might try them ,they look like the ones i got 6 yr ago from EMS and they don't have them any more .i wear them every day and they lasted 6yr so it is time for new ones. i hope i can get at least 3 yrs out of these

Jimmy Legs and Little d
12-31-2007, 12:25 PM
Maybe 10 years ago I bought a pair of North Col boots from LL Bean. They had a Norwegian welt and were made in Italy. I have resoled them only once.
Although they are a little heavy they have lasted a long time. Unfortunately, Bean doesn't sell them any longer; however, Cabelas has a boot similar to Beans' and Merrell sells one also. Neither one is isulated or has a Gortex liner (along with my North Cols'); but, if you keep the full grain leather boot well sealed with something like "Snow seal" you will not have any leakage. One thing to note about Gortex, you must still waterproof the outside of the shoe to prevent the material from "clogging" the pores of the membrane.

Squid
12-31-2007, 12:39 PM
It all depends on what kind of hiking you want to do too!
I have two pairs of boots

I have these asolo for summer, and spring
http://www.asolo.com/content.asp?L=3&idMen=429

Love them, they are cool, have great grip, the only problem i had, I went through a river, and after i dryed them they shrunk on me, but i did the painful one day 10+ hour walk and now they are back to being a good boot!

And i have these Montrail
http://www.shoebuy.com/montrail-olympus/46561/46561

And i LOVE these, they are more of a early spring/ early winter boot and can be used for ice climbing. But i use them year round, even in the winter and find they are really warm, and I did hike Washington this year in the summer with them and i did fine with the heat! I love these boots, I got the montail ice system with these, so i have a full carbon fiber foot bed. I dont think montail makes them anymore :(

what every you get, make sure you will be happy with them, There is a new store in ST Johnsbury called The Kingdom Outdoors, and they are GREAT with making sure you get what you need and want.

best of luck!
Squid

CHRIS
01-01-2008, 03:17 PM
Well I went to REI today and picked up my boots and some other stuff. I purchased Asolo Fugitive GTX boots http://www.rei.com/product/706762 they have Goretex and a diffrent kind of rubber sole.They were very very comfortable and when I walked on the rocks they have going down my toes did not get crunched all up against the front.They were a little more $170.00 but a few bucks more for comfortable feet are worth it.

Chris

Brad
01-01-2008, 04:46 PM
Great news Chris. Now you have to get and use them for real.

CHRIS
01-01-2008, 07:42 PM
I can't wait...
chris

kk153
01-04-2008, 04:30 PM
Seems odd that none of the posts mentioned Limmer Boots. Great boots. Excellent fitting....

Surprise, surprise...

KD Talbot
01-04-2008, 08:06 PM
Well, he was talking about going to REI. Can't get Limmers there. Probably can't get a better boot, and definitely can't get a better fit than Limmers, so, you're absolutely right in the endorsement.

KDT

billysinc
01-05-2008, 06:07 PM
Well I went to REI today and picked up my boots and some other stuff. I purchased Asolo Fugitive GTX boots http://www.rei.com/product/706762 they have Goretex and a diffrent kind of rubber sole.They were very very comfortable and when I walked on the rocks they have going down my toes did not get crunched all up against the front.They were a little more $170.00 but a few bucks more for comfortable feet are worth it.

Chris

Great boots. I did several hikes this summer and have done a couple so far this winter in them. You won't be disappointed. The soles are very sticky which is a good thing. The only problem is sticky=soft which means you (and I) won't be getting 10 years out of them.

KD Talbot
01-05-2008, 07:16 PM
Yeah, but unlike stuff you buy at REI, you take these back to Limmers and they re-sole them. You may not have to buy new boots for ten years or more!

KDT

mtruman
01-05-2008, 08:09 PM
The sales person at REI recommended Limmers to me because of my hard to fit feet. Trouble is that the custom boots have a several year wait and cost about $600. Now that they have standard boots for about $250 I may actually give that a shot. Everyone that has them sure seems to love them. More than worth the money for a boot that could last 15 years and can be resoled are refitted for anything that wears out.