PDA

View Full Version : Weather Stations?

h2oeco
01-02-2008, 10:17 PM
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but what weather stations do people use/like? I am familiar with Davis (wired and wireless), old Heath Kits, and Texas Weather. I like the wireless features of the Davis, but don't like the display. I do like the "old style" LED displays like on the old Health Kits and TW units.

Is anyone familiar with Rainwise?

Thanks.

Ed

Brad
01-03-2008, 07:23 AM
In this discussion, please include whether there is a good display when using a browser. If the system is at a vacation or 2nd home, you need to get to it through the internet. Our standard in the family is "everything must be browser accessible".

h2oeco
01-03-2008, 09:26 AM
Sounds good. Ideally, the connection from the receiver/display would be able to connect to the network wirelessly, and even better, would having server capability like a webcam, so that you don't need a local computer in order to access the data...

Perhaps the Observatory should start building custom, high-end wireless weather stations as a side business... ;-)

Brad
01-03-2008, 09:48 AM
Each of our web cameras has a web server in it. So, all settings and configuration data is available through a browser. The same is true for the temperature module I have for my snow melt system. Same for the music system for playing MP3 files on the stereo. Many of these things I can access and control off my cell phone because they are browser based.

My son's new house has thermostats the same way - they are on the house network. He controls all the lights in the house off a browser. This is where the world is - or is going quickly.

Weather stations should be the same.

kimmarg
01-05-2008, 05:05 PM
Campbell Scientific makes excellent weather equipment, with many means of connectivity. I'm not sure how appropriate they would be for home use, but they are very good for commercial or more sophisticated uses.