PDA

View Full Version : The Mount Washington Mascot Primary...

h2oeco
01-03-2008, 02:40 PM
Just saw this on the front page of the website:

Mount Washington Mascot Primary (http://www.mountwashington.org/events/topcat/vote.php)

Newly posted, I think...

No need to debate about names any more, just which cat is it going to be?

Perhaps the cats should be interviewed on camera, and/or given the opportunity to debate each other?

Brad
01-03-2008, 02:58 PM
Be careful as you are checking that web page out! Every time you go to it the order of the 3 cats may change.

Sarah has a face that would be great in pictures. And Marty's fur is wonderful. Can we start up voter drives and pledges and cheerleaders? How about transportation to the summit to vote?

Maybe our individual votes get multiplied by our altitude when we vote to give a weighted score.

Mike D
01-03-2008, 03:21 PM
Here is the page that explains the *ahem* "Mascot Primary":

http://www.mountwashington.org/events/topcat/

This is truly in line with our mission as an organization dedicated to science.

h2oeco
01-03-2008, 03:26 PM
Mike,

My cat wholeheartedly agrees. If she had money, she would donate to MWO in support of your feline research project...

Ed

bacchus2
01-03-2008, 05:25 PM
Just a thought, has anyone asked the opinion of the observers, and volunteers who will be working with the new cat??

A recent xmass volunteer asks.

bclark
01-03-2008, 05:45 PM
No need to debate about names any more, just which cat is it going to be?

That's not entirely true. The names of the cats, as they stand, are just shelter names. In fact, two of the cats have already had their shelter names changed recently. The naming of the cat has been left up to the summit crew, however we plan to open a forum thread for suggestions after the new cat arrives and we can post some pictures.

There's nothing wrong with having fun every once in a while, in my opinion. This has the potential to get our name out in the media even more and bring more people to our website. These people would then learn about what we do as a scientific institution and learn about the natural wonder that is Mt. Washington, thus fulfilling our mission statement.

Just a thought, has anyone asked the opinion of the observers, and volunteers who will be working with the new cat??

A recent xmass volunteer asks.Is this John or Sharon? Or is it another Christmas volunteer. Anyways, our opinion has been asked about the mascot primary idea and choosing the cat has ultimately been left up to the summit crew.

h2oeco
01-03-2008, 07:01 PM
Sounds good Brian. Looking forward to the naming thread...

Ed

KD Talbot
01-03-2008, 08:21 PM
My wife wants to know if she can have the runner-ups. Not too sure how Emma will like that.

KDT

PS: There's a 33% chance that there'll be a new "Marty on the Mountain" as well as a replacement for Nin.

Charlie
01-03-2008, 09:04 PM
Marty will not get lost in the snow with his color dark :eek:

i to would like a video with one of the observers doing the interview ,to get a idea what they are like . you should do this as a OBS cast

Mike D
01-03-2008, 09:54 PM
I didn't mean to sound facetious; it's a fact that we can't function without our members and we wouldn't have members if we didn't make our name known to folks. This is a fun way to involve our members and hopefully attract some new ones. Consider this a kind of peer review process that our staff scientists use to publish climate research.

Bretton Woods Brat
01-04-2008, 06:54 AM
This is great! LMAO Thanks for letting us get involved. My husband and I adopted a cat from Habitat For Cats back in May and he's the best! What a great agency.

All the candidates are adorable, how can one choose? But Marty looks like a "King of the mountain" type of cat. Go Marty!!!

P.S. I booked my dates to volunteer!! :eek:

M@.
01-04-2008, 12:51 PM
Much like our presidential system's two-party system, this is a rigged one-species election. So much for bi-pet-asminship. I would love to vote for a dog named Nader or something.

However - after careful review of the platforms I see only Wilson mentions bacon - therefore the choice is clear.

WILSON! (Bump-bum.... bum-bum)
WILSON! (Bump-bum.... bum-bum)

M@

Brad
01-04-2008, 01:05 PM
I can understand your concerns. But, in the higher form of politics (and this is one of the highest around) - don't sweat the small stuff (cause this time of year it will freeze on you).

"Wilson" just does not have a great ring to the name. I work in a town called Wilson. Not what I think our superior Top Cat should be. "Marty" sure does sound nice. And fits since we do not have a Marty around any more. We do miss him, but that is another story.

h2oeco
01-04-2008, 02:38 PM
My cat has reviewed the candidates and the platforms that they are running on, and she fully supports Marty...

Thought all of you should know.

Ed

Brad
01-04-2008, 03:18 PM
Oh my goodness! Marty has been endorsed by New Jersey! I am working on the official word in North Carolina. But, Marty seems to be in the lead here too.

Charlie
01-04-2008, 04:59 PM
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s279/hawk63/diffrent032.jpg

Rosie was sitting in the back yard thinking about the cats a she picks Marty

Steph
01-04-2008, 07:22 PM
I do find it interesting that two of the candidates share names with two former summit employees, Marty Engstrom and Sarah (Curtis) Long. Marty who was of course famous for his WMTW TV-8 weather reports while he worked as an engineer for TV-8 and Sarah Long who was an oberserver for many years and is now a meteorologist for WGME News 13. There is a book written about the cats of the mountain titled "Mascots of Mt Washington" by Rosemary Howard Turner published in 1974. It highlights the lives of George, then DFC (darn foolish cat), her offspring Pushka, Blackberry & Strawberry. WMTW ended up with Pushka and had a contest on naming him...they received nearly 900 suggestions. Pushka is eskimo for "little cat".

Steve M
01-04-2008, 07:46 PM
I must say that Marty just wasn't what I envisioned on the summit. After such a long reign by a shorthair I couldn't see a longhair taking his place. As I read through their biographies, trying to keep an open mind, I realized that Marty seems to have all the attributes of a summit cat. He's a people lover, a lap lover, he's sweet, lively, and cuddly, and I don't see anything about not liking the cold or the outdoors. I think Marty will be the best choice as well.

KD Talbot
01-04-2008, 08:31 PM
Long after Nin is just a memory, part of him will still be found in the Obs. Ever check out the spare blankets? What are those hairless cats? Any of them in the shelter?;)

KDT

fifteendays
01-04-2008, 11:44 PM
Long after Nin is just a memory, part of him will still be found in the Obs. Ever check out the spare blankets? What are those hairless cats? Any of them in the shelter?;)

KDT

Polartec and Chuck Roast just donated 50 new blankets... so those furry things are soon on the way out!

This mascot election has been a lot of fun for us down in our North Conway office. This morning was especially entertaining when we all arrived to find a copy of today's Union Leader with a front page story about the three feline contenders-- all with photos larger than Obama and Huckabee. Mind you, this story appeared on the front page of the largest newspaper in politically-charged New Hampshire, on the day after Iowa and four days before our Primary. Unreal. I imagine that many of the "real" candidates traveling around our state today may have seen it as well!

All this and I'm horribly allergic to cats...

Scot
MWO Staff

PS: My vote is for Sarah. Marty's long hair scares me.

mk10
01-05-2008, 03:06 AM
With Marty up there, you will be seeing small tangled tufts of fur blowing across the hard observatory floors like tumbleweeds across a sandy desert road. As a courtesy to cleaning staff and volunteers/visitors who may be allergic to cats, I put my full support behind the "Short-haired" party--Sarah or Wilson.

Brad
01-05-2008, 05:12 AM
PS: My vote is for Sarah. Marty's long hair scares me.
Maybe that is why I am all for Marty. Someone has to keep you in your place.

h2oeco
01-05-2008, 07:43 AM
Early this morning, my two dogs (Beau (father), Bridey (daughter)) informed me that they are considering endorsing Marty. They have not yet explained their reasoning to me, but I should have more information later today.

Ed

Bill O
01-05-2008, 08:08 AM
I'm glad the summit crew is sticking to their guns and NOT going allergy free. It would be a shame to end a very long tradition because a small group of people is allergic to cats. As Ryan noted, they spend half a year on the summit. Visitors spend just a few days.

MelNino
01-05-2008, 09:05 AM
so happy you're getting a new cat!! I think this voting is a great idea. Great publicity. I'm looking forward to meeting the new cat, whoever it is, my next hike up!

But, I must say, go Marty!!

bclark
01-05-2008, 12:13 PM
I'm glad the summit crew is sticking to their guns and NOT going allergy free. It would be a shame to end a very long tradition because a small group of people is allergic to cats. As Ryan noted, they spend half a year on the summit. Visitors spend just a few days.

Thanks Bill....

It's interesting to note as well that just because there isn't a cat here doesn't mean that someone that is allergic to cats would be fine to spend a night up here immediately. It would take a long time, perhaps even years for all the pet dander from Nin and his predecesors to not have an affect anymore, especially for someone that is severly allergic.

Brad
01-05-2008, 01:31 PM
I stopped off in N Conway this morning in an attempt to interview the 3 candidates. Marty was out getting his hair done. Sarah was having her nails clipped. And Wilson - well, he was Wilson.

So, I was not successful in this go at the candidates to see where they stand - on the issues. Or at least how quickly they just lie down and give up in a pursuit.

Maybe next trip. But, I am running out of time.

indie230
01-05-2008, 01:52 PM
Hi all,
I just signed up after reading all your wonderful comments about the mascot primary.
I work for the Conway Area Humane Society and my opinions are my own and not that of the CAHS.

I only wanted to say, Marty is not all hair! He is considered a medium haired cat. His "ruff" is deceiving, as he may be part coon cat. We aren't certain but his size and feathering are indicative of a coon cat.

He maintains his own appearance. He takes great pride in his handsome looks.

I must say thank you to Ryan(Observers comments) for clarifying the process. And he is getting all the great insider info about the candidates claims about each other.

I'm so excited, this has been great fun...

Brad
01-05-2008, 03:01 PM
Hi all,
I'm so excited, this has been great fun...
Glad you could join us - for all the fun. I hope this exposure will not only help us get a great Top Cat, but, also get homes for many others there at the shelter. I am not sure if it is legal according to forum rules, but would you post the mailing address and telephone number for CAHS? Then if folks are interested in the election runners-up or other personalities in your care, they can get in touch with you.

I am sure that financial donations would be graciously accepted also.

Thanks for all the good work you are doing.

Charlie
01-05-2008, 03:13 PM
thank you for the observer up date with the video of the candidates and i still say Marty is on top

Brad
01-05-2008, 03:14 PM
Well, I obviously had not see the Observer's comments this morning. that included your address, phone number and web site. But, those comments wil be hard to find - so, my request still stands.

When I went to the shelter's web site the picture of Wilson was great! I might have to switch my vote, especially now that i understand the name may change too. Who could resist this face?

http://photocache.petfinder.com/fotos/NH69/NH69.9757449-1-x.jpg

Charlie
01-05-2008, 03:31 PM
if it going to be a tie then have 2 cats :D :D :D

they are all cute ,my kids stop at our shelter to look at the dogs and i went the other day and wanter to take them all home .:(

indie230
01-05-2008, 04:11 PM
Hey,
Thanks for the welcome Brad!
I am thrilled with all the Obs has done for us and the awareness it brings to both incredible organizations.
I hope both orgs. can benefit and of course the cats too!
I don't want to step on any toes so I might just say the info you seek is at the end of the You Tube video that the Observers so graciously added to the observers comments.
Might I add, since the obs comments linked to the video the views jumped up to 100 an hour so far! Great!

Brad
01-05-2008, 05:31 PM
I have never been known for following the rules. So, I will post the information about the Conway shelter so it is easy for folks to find. Once the next Observer's Comment gets posted the links to the YouTube video will be a bit hard for folks to find. Hopefully they will look here.

The Conway Area Humane Society
223 East Main Street
PO Box 260
Conway, NH 03818

(603) 447-5955

www.conwayshelter.org

YouTube video www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T9Ty7ovSJY&e

Squid
01-05-2008, 09:16 PM
man that makes it hard to vote, just watched the vid
and i was like
oh kitty number one!
then i saw kitty two and three

can i vote for all three, and then you have a pack of cats at the top!:D

good luck with the pick!
and i think so far sarah is my vote :)

Steve M
01-05-2008, 09:21 PM
Glad you could join us - for all the fun. I hope this exposure will not only help us get a great Top Cat, but, also get homes for many others there at the shelter. I am not sure if it is legal according to forum rules, but would you post the mailing address and telephone number for CAHS? Then if folks are interested in the election runners-up or other personalities in your care, they can get in touch with you.

I am sure that financial donations would be graciously accepted also.

Thanks for all the good work you are doing.
I agree, I also think that CAHS could use a similar approach in drawing people there to adopt pets.

Steve M
01-05-2008, 09:28 PM
man that makes it hard to vote, just watched the vid
and i was like
oh kitty number one!
then i saw kitty two and three

can i vote for all three, and then you have a pack of cats at the top!:D

good luck with the pick!
and i think so far sarah is my vote :)
I know what you mean. The vid is great showing the cats in action.

spyboy
01-05-2008, 09:40 PM
He only flip flops off the table off the table...and then in the video he falls off the table, ROFL!

classic...

Kirk

KD Talbot
01-06-2008, 08:36 AM
Plain and simple- Wilson! Mrs. KD

h2oeco
01-06-2008, 09:18 PM
My dogs, Beau and Bridey, have decided to endorse Marty for "top cat", backing up the prior endorsement by my cat, Abbey. The three of them just can't imagine the observatory having a cat that has never been outside!

To show their support, they have taken up a collection from the other cats and dogs in town and made a small donation to Marty's campaign, and to MWO in support of the new top cat, regardless of who wins (though they all hope its Marty!).

http://www.seaoasis.com/bba.jpg
(L to R) Beau, Bridey, and Abbey

Brad
01-06-2008, 09:50 PM
I frequent some other forums on the Internet. On those I have been posting information and links for folks to come and vote on Tuesday.

Brad
01-07-2008, 08:40 AM
I drove to NC yesterday to see what the feelings were about these 3 candidates (or is it "cat-didates"?). Quickly I got a warm feeling and a clear view of where these folks stand. The fact that it was clear skies and 65 degrees might have had something to do with that.

Lets start with Sarah. Those big eyes just draw you in. She speaks her mind, but she does not answer questions. She says she has experience, but has she ever been outdoors - for real? She is not a serious candidate for this position.

Marty - what do you think you are doing? Can you imagine that head of face fur on a foul frosty frozen fog Friday? What a mess things would be! We would end up with a matted Marty. Not a welcoming sight for this site.

However, Wilson shows his wily character. One can see him welcoming well wishers wandering through the Weather room whistfully wishing he was walking on Mt Wiley like the big cats. Wilson was the clear winner as far as North Carolina was concerned. So, the great state of North Caroline will endorse the fantastic feline - Wilson. Wonderful.

h2oeco
01-07-2008, 09:55 AM
Marty - what do you think you are doing? Can you imagine that head of face fur on a foul frosty frozen fog Friday? What a mess things would be! We would end up with a matted Marty. Not a welcoming sight for this site.

However...

While wily wimpy Wilson and scary short-haired Sarah are silently shivering in shock, marvelous Marty with his fine, fabulous, frost-free, fluffy, fleece-like fur will be fabulously fearless, fun-loving, and free, whether inside or out...

Also, a long-haired cat will keep the laps of observers, volunteers, and visitors much warmer in winter than a short-haired cat will...

As an aside, note that "Marty" starts with "M" for Mount - "Wilson" starts with "W" for "Washington" - and Sarah starts with what? "S?" For what? "Scaredy-cat?"....

May the best cat win!!!

(and of course this could all be for naught because the observers may find an entirely different cat that they like better...)

Steve M
01-07-2008, 10:07 AM
It seems the majority here in Florida have clearly chosen Wilson. I for one picked Marty, not for his hair but his playful antics and friendliness. Others see Wilson as the "top cat" One person said that anyone named Wilson will be your friend through everything and anything that comes your way, easy times and rough times. Said person sighted the movie "Cast Away" as an example.
Another said that his platform inspired him, and the fact he shares his love for bacon and eggs and eating in diners. Only time will tell if Wilson is able to win the hearts and minds of those in other stated and emerge the new "top cat".

JimS
01-07-2008, 10:17 AM
It seems the majority here in Florida have clearly chosen Wilson.

Make sure that you guys in florida poke your chads all the way through...I don't want the supreme court settling this one too...

Brad
01-07-2008, 10:51 AM
Make sure that you guys in florida poke your chads all the way through...I don't want the supreme court settling this one too...
Don't you worry a bit. I have a boat load of illegals coming in to Maine to vote fast and furious.

Should I assume there are some technology blockers to be in place so Sarah's cousin can not fast paw us and vote for her many times?

By the way, have you ever eaten at Sarah's in Wiscasset, Maine? Right on the main street across from Red's Eats. Sarah's has a wonderful lobster burrito.

KathyC
01-07-2008, 07:14 PM
They are all so adorable and special it's tough to make a choice, but something about Sara has my eye....

Bill O
01-07-2008, 07:21 PM
I heard one of the cats was exiting the race.

Brad
01-07-2008, 07:42 PM
Maybe it is Sarah because she is not getting much support at this point. She did not come across real well in her first showing - in the video interview. Possibly someone will offer a better deal - a nice warm home so she can lay in front of the fire and dream of chasing mice on the summit.

Mike D
01-07-2008, 08:14 PM

Dirty tricks fueled by the Washington political attack machine.

Bill O
01-07-2008, 08:39 PM
Dirty tricks fueled by the Washington political attack machine.

Come on, its primary fever...catch it!

Squid
01-07-2008, 09:25 PM
dude i am SOOO down with Sarah!!!!
she has my vote paws down, and November (my kitty) thinks she is HOT!:D so she has his vote!

and some of my family plan on voting for the cats, and most of them are talking alot about sarah!

she is kitty, hear her meow!

Brad
01-07-2008, 09:59 PM
I am sure that when the polls open at 8AM tomorrow morning there will be supporters out in view of the Deck camera with their signs. Will they be feline or friends?

indie230
01-07-2008, 10:28 PM
Oh this is some really funny stuff! I have been laughing out loud at all these comments.

The race is becoming hot and heavy here!
All cats were in rare form today when I went to work.

I let Marty out to stretch his legs. He started ripping around the shelter flinging toy mice in the air and batting them across the room, sliding across the floor and banging into the walls! I believe he was showing off how physically fit he is.

Sarah, had to go into a temporary room (so I could clean their room) with her community room buddies and she was playing footsie with Marty under the door.. Flirting I believe??

Wilson, opened all the drawers in his room, checking for mice perhaps? Every morning all the drawers are open and he is often seen curled up in a ball fast asleep.
:D
By the way.. I was told a local business has on their outside sign, "Marty for Mountain Top Cat" or something like that..

The town is gearing up for all the last minute campaigning..
The candidates have made signs to stick in the snow banks at the shelter to maybe grab the attention of the undecided vote!
Good luck to all...

Brad
01-08-2008, 05:47 AM
Some polls in NH have been open for hours - but our polling booth is closed still for a little over 2 more hours. Reports are in from Dixville Notch that they do not want a female. A bit harsh she got no votes. Poor Sarah may have a struggle today.

But the climate for change may be giving Marty an edge with his dark fur.

My votes will go for Wilson this morning. We can vote as often as we want - can't we? ;)

kaseri
01-08-2008, 05:49 AM
Sarah has my vote!

debbie01
01-08-2008, 07:05 AM
Only 1 more hour to vote. I still can't decide which cat to vote for. Having 2 black cats, I like Marty, however it might be time for a female feline on the summit and Sarah is adorable. Wilson reminds me of my third cat. He is charming. I'm very happy that the crew has decided that a new cat is needed. The summit would not be the same without a pesky feline friend. I hope Nin is adjusting well to life in the valley with other cats. He deserves a happy retirement. :)

Bretton Woods Brat
01-08-2008, 08:02 AM
My vote is in!!! :D GO MARTY!!! :p

Brad
01-08-2008, 08:10 AM
I voted on my way to work. Go Wilson.

Bill O
01-08-2008, 08:17 AM
Not only did I vote early, I voted often.

Go Marty!

Squid
01-08-2008, 09:35 AM
GO SARAH GO!!!:D
November has the Blue paw too! he helped click the mouse, then ran off with it in his mouth! ;)

Proweaver
01-08-2008, 10:13 AM
The great city of Pittsburgh,Pa cast it's vote for Marty The city of the Pittsburgh Steelers We Like the color black as It goes with the Black & Gold Go Marty GO !!!!!!

Steve M
01-08-2008, 10:47 AM
Didn't you here?...we went high tech in Florida. Chad has been fired!

They are all so adorable and special it's tough to make a choice, but something about Sara has my eye....
It must be those big eyes.

hobbes
01-08-2008, 11:19 AM
Didn't you here?...we went high tech in Florida. Chad has been fired!Yes, now you can hack the vote in FL :)

Mike D
01-08-2008, 11:36 AM
According to the exit polls, Marty has an edge over his rivals. But it's still anyone's race.

billysinc
01-08-2008, 01:24 PM
Go Wilson!!!!!!!!

A voted for him for his honesty, the other two have those "shifty eyes"

spyboy
01-08-2008, 01:27 PM
He has a long face very similar to Nin's.

Go Wilson!!!!!!!!

A voted for him for his honesty, the other two have those "shifty eyes"

debbie01
01-08-2008, 01:28 PM
Well my family voted differently and independently. I voted for Sarah. One teenage daughter voted for Wilson, and the other voted for Marty. My husband, I believe, likes Wilson. I hope the runners up go to good homes very soon. They are famous too. :)

rockin rex
01-08-2008, 01:32 PM
Marty is the only one who can really enjoy being on the summit. The other two don't like the cold. The most famous picture of Nin is the one of her covered in ice. We need a cat who can endure the summit. Go Marty go.

kaseri
01-08-2008, 01:40 PM
I believe the photo you're thinking of is a photo of Inga and Nin is male.

rockin rex
01-08-2008, 01:45 PM
You are right. My error to much excitement over the primary. The picture I speak of is Inga and yes Nin is a male. Nin would never forgive me would he.

debbie01
01-08-2008, 02:27 PM
Nin probably would be offended to be thought of as a female feline. Inga was the cat pictured outside covered in rime ice. There is a famous picture of Nin sitting outside, but there is no ice or snow on him. He just looks royal.
That being said, I don't agree that Marty is the only choice. Look at Wilson's eyes. He is soooo handsome and honest looking. How can anyone resist him. He is also a lap cat so he will be good to keep the summit staff warm. While Marty is handsome, he lacks a look of innocence and curiosity. He looks more like the kind of cat I would expect to see on a fishing vessel. Bon Voyage!!

spyboy
01-08-2008, 03:35 PM
Sarah's a cutie, but she seems more a lap kitty down in the valley, not up in the frozen tundra.

If my stupid apartment complex didn't charge so much for pets, I'd take her home in a second!

K

Brad
01-08-2008, 03:59 PM
For reference here is a link to MWO feline fhotos.

http://public.fotki.com/MWO/favorites/summit-cats/

Squid
01-08-2008, 05:07 PM
Sarah's a cutie, but she seems more a lap kitty down in the valley, not up in the frozen tundra.

If my stupid apartment complex didn't charge so much for pets, I'd take her home in a second!

K

yaknow i was thinking the same thing, But i think it would brake november's heart if i brought home another cat, even as cute as Sarah is (if she does not make it (but we all know she will :D ))

I wonder if the two that dont make it, if someone will adopt them! I would if i could but the apartment people said one cat, and having one and hiding one would be hard!

Charlie
01-08-2008, 06:48 PM
well i just got a call from Marty's campaign camp saying i did not vote yet so i just did

go Marty

KathyC
01-08-2008, 07:02 PM
For reference here is a link to MWO feline fhotos.

http://public.fotki.com/MWO/favorites/summit-cats/
Those are great pics of Nin, she really is a beautiful kitty cat...

Charlie
01-08-2008, 07:24 PM
OK we are waiting

KathyC
01-08-2008, 07:34 PM
The website says that the results will be posted at 8 AM tomorrow.

Mike D
01-08-2008, 08:09 PM
A recount has been ordered...

Charlie
01-08-2008, 08:20 PM
we cant wait we have the ice tea on ice and the house is packed

and Rosie cant stop walking back and forth

Steve M
01-09-2008, 08:09 AM
Well Charlie, you and Rosie can stop pacing the floor and do a victory dance.

billysinc
01-09-2008, 08:15 AM
I want a recount, I'll bet there's hanging chads somewhere.

Steve M
01-09-2008, 08:46 AM
I want a recount, I'll bet there's hanging chads somewhere.
The only place Chad is hanging is from a noose.:D