PDA

View Full Version : bill o....a few questions....

mary
01-06-2008, 09:45 AM
because i am curious and really kind of in awe i wanted to ask you a few questions....your time for the climb last year was/is incredible to me....we made it to the summit in 3 1/2 hours and i dont think i could have shortened that time if i had to....i break frequently and take in the views and surroundings and would have probably taken more time if i was alone last year....how many times have you climbed mt washington?....is it your goal to improve your time a bit eash year?....does your wife ever hike with you or does she meet you at the top each time?....i cant imagine how fast you must have been going....

Bill O
01-06-2008, 11:04 AM
because i am curious and really kind of in awe i wanted to ask you a few questions....your time for the climb last year was/is incredible to me....we made it to the summit in 3 1/2 hours and i dont think i could have shortened that time if i had to....i break frequently and take in the views and surroundings and would have probably taken more time if i was alone last year....how many times have you climbed mt washington?....is it your goal to improve your time a bit eash year?....does your wife ever hike with you or does she meet you at the top each time?....i cant imagine how fast you must have been going....

Wow, thanks. Last year was just a fluke. We both started hiking then I got worried about the weather so she drove up and I went at full speed. This year we plan on both taking our time to the summit.

I'm not sure, I think have climbed Mount Washington about 10 times. No records there. I also bet there are a large group of people out there that could cut my time in half. Then there's probably a handful of people in the world who could cut that time in half again.

I can add that I don't really stop. I try to drink and eat while hiking. In theory I could not drink or eat at all for 2 hours and just wait to I get to the top. Lastly, its much more relaxing to take your time and enjoy the views.

If you're looking to speed up your time let me know. I'll gladly provide some tips.

Brad
01-06-2008, 11:19 AM
Tip #1 to Brad:

Get in shape.

Charlie
01-06-2008, 12:17 PM
for me i need to loose weight and work out with my legs

mary
01-13-2008, 01:51 PM
im ok with my time on the hike....but thanks....of course any other tips or suggestions are always welcome!....like....going down that rockpile!....ive climbed mt washington before but it was years ago and even at that i never went down washington....we hiked across or at least it sure as heck didnt seem like we went down....last year we rode down after hiking up but i gotta tell you....getting down seems like a whole different challenge....

Mike D
01-13-2008, 02:02 PM
Hiking down any route is the "easy part", which means your muscles can take a break while your joints take a beating.

im ok with my time on the hike....but thanks....of course any other tips or suggestions are always welcome!....like....going down that rockpile!....ive climbed mt washington before but it was years ago and even at that i never went down washington....we hiked across or at least it sure as heck didnt seem like we went down....last year we rode down after hiking up but i gotta tell you....getting down seems like a whole different challenge....

Brad
01-13-2008, 07:02 PM
I guess I am confused. There is an "easy" part? What am I missing?

Steve M
01-13-2008, 07:40 PM
The easy part for me is traveling to and from the hike in my car.:)

Mike D
01-14-2008, 09:31 AM
The easy part for me is walking on flat ground after the hike is over; it feels like treading on air.

The easy part for me is traveling to and from the hike in my car.:)

Brad
01-14-2008, 12:14 PM
The easy part for me is walking on flat ground after the hike is over; it feels like treading on air.
Ah, so that is what that pain is.

Steve M
01-14-2008, 12:52 PM
My plan this year is to hike to the summit, work my week, then hike back down. That will satisfy my participation in STP.

Charlie
01-14-2008, 07:36 PM
and if you are late to the top then your wife will be mad and you will get docked some pay

Steve M
01-14-2008, 10:50 PM
and if you are late to the top then your wife will be mad and you will get docked some pay
I don't know about the pay part but..."there'll be no living with her after that.";)

Bill O
01-15-2008, 07:55 AM

I agree, going down is not always easy. It may not get my heart rate up, but it wears on my muscles and joints. Especially after you just climbed the mountain. This is when trekking poles really come in handy with added support and stability.

Steve M
01-15-2008, 10:56 AM
I agree, going down is not always easy. It may not get my heart rate up, but it wears on my muscles and joints. Especially after you just climbed the mountain. This is when trekking poles really come in handy with added support and stability.
I remember as a kid we would run down, hopping and jumping on the rocks, pretending we were skiing on them. The legs bounced back really quick back then but now I am really glad to have my trekking poles for the decent.:)

Trekker
03-24-2008, 01:47 PM
Yes!!, I can remember "rock floating", as we would call it - moving so fast downhill that you never come down "fully" on any one foot - just a gentle "guiding" of the body, as it flows down the slope - always watching 3 or 4 rocks ahead . . .
On the right slope you could "float" down a thousand feet in no time!!
You knew it was wrong - you knew it was "asking for it" - you knew the dangers were rampant - but the adrenaline rush was intense!!
Now-a-days I'm a bit slower - the body takes much longer to heal - and the mind holds the body back from it's youthful exuberance. These days, I'd take going UPHILL any day over going down. Down is the real killer!

Steve M
03-24-2008, 07:12 PM
Yes!!, I can remember "rock floating", as we would call it - moving so fast downhill that you never come down "fully" on any one foot - just a gentle "guiding" of the body, as it flows down the slope - always watching 3 or 4 rocks ahead . . .
On the right slope you could "float" down a thousand feet in no time!!
You knew it was wrong - you knew it was "asking for it" - you knew the dangers were rampant - but the adrenaline rush was intense!!
Now-a-days I'm a bit slower - the body takes much longer to heal - and the mind holds the body back from it's youthful exuberance. These days, I'd take going UPHILL any day over going down. Down is the real killer!
You ain't kiddin. The knees just ain't what they used to be!;)

Brad
03-24-2008, 09:29 PM
I know about hiking slower now than before.