PDA

View Full Version : I'm new and want to say Hello...

KathyC
01-06-2008, 10:45 AM
Hello Everyone, I'm new to these boards. I do not live in NH, I live in North Jersey. I'm not a hiker or much of an outdoor type person, but I love Mt. Washington and the surrounding area. Since the early 90's I have vacationed in North Conway many times, I've been to the top 3 times and each time I was in awe. One time I did have the pleasure of meeting Nin.

The last few times I've been in the area is was too cloudy or closed. I check the website most everyday to see views on your cams and I read observer comments. The photos that are taken are just beautiful and I often use them as my desktop photo. A lot of the people I know can't believe that I have taken such an interest in some where that is 7 hrs. away, but I am already planning my next trip and I can't wait.

Brad
01-06-2008, 11:27 AM
Kathy, welcome to the forum and this group of folks who love Mt Washington also. My love affair started when I was 13 years old and has gotten stronger each year. Now if only I could get stronger each year the hiking would be a lot easier. We do understand your feelings. The fact you are in NJ means you are a lot closer than many of us.

I am sitting at the last rest area on the NJ Turnpike headed south going back to work in NC - checking in from the car because I love it so much. Plan your next trip and we hope to see you often here on the forum.

Charlie
01-06-2008, 12:13 PM
Kathy welcome
there are some here that do not get up there much so we to have to check the site each day to make sure it still looks as good as or better then the bay before .
so to help us get our fix of the mountain take pictures when you are there and post them for us to enjoy to

hobbes
01-06-2008, 03:10 PM
Welcome! Seems there are a few folks from Joisey around...

-- Formerly off exit 8 --

Steve M
01-06-2008, 05:17 PM
Welcome to the Forums! If you think Jersey is far from the mountain try Florida. I try to get up there once a year if at all possible, even if it's not possible. Hope to see ya around the forums and if you join the OBS you can take advantage of all the other web shots and Videos available to members.

KathyC
01-06-2008, 06:15 PM
Thanks, but I already am a member. I joined last year when then wanted to go live with the Bretton Woods cam. I love the sunrise movies.

And NJ seems very far away, but I don't mind the drive up at all. I wish that I could do it more often.

spyboy
01-06-2008, 06:55 PM
I'm formally from Exit 13 (off 287) but I moved out of NJ for New England right after I finished college at Rutgers.

I've almost lived as many years outside of NJ as in NJ, so I guess soon it won't be my home state anymore.

Kirk

Mike D
01-06-2008, 07:18 PM

I saw New Jersey once. We were driving through the Delaware Water Gap.

Steve M
01-06-2008, 08:03 PM
Welcome to the Forums! If you think Jersey is far from the mountain try Florida. I try to get up there once a year if at all possible, even if it's not possible. Hope to see ya around the forums and if you join the OBS you can take advantage of all the other web shots and Videos available to members.

Brad
01-06-2008, 08:22 PM
And NJ seems very far away, but I don't mind the drive up at all. I wish that I could do it more often.
My son has been doing it from by Newark airport to maine every weekend since Labor Day. When we lived in westchester County, NY we did it every weekend for 8-10 years 9hard to count that high). The drive is not bad as long as it is not Friday night - in the rain - in the summer.

I saw New Jersey once. We were driving through the Delaware Water Gap.
You saw the best part then.

mtruman
01-06-2008, 11:31 PM
After seeing all the posts from people so far from NH I'm feeling lucky to be in Rhode Island (which I do anyway for other reasons). We can be in the Whites in about 3 hours and about 4 to either Crawford or Pinkham. We don't get there anywhere near as often as I'd like, but we're trying harder each year. Last year was the first time we came up in winter and it was awesome. Going to make it at least twice this winter. Can't wait to get back...

Tim&Val
01-07-2008, 06:02 AM
Hi Kathy! Welcome!

We lived in Wilmington, DE for 15 years - living the suburban life and commuting on I-95 every day. At that time, we would dream of our once-per-year Labor Day trek to a campground in the Whites.

Now we live in a small NH town about 30 miles south of the mountains. It was just what we needed and we love it here.

Valerie

Brad
01-07-2008, 06:30 AM
Hi Kathy! Welcome!

We lived in Wilmington, DE for 15 years - living the suburban life and commuting on I-95 every day. At that time, we would dream of our once-per-year Labor Day trek to a campground in the Whites.

Now we live in a small NH town about 30 miles south of the mountains. It was just what we needed and we love it here.

Valerie
Yes, and Tim & Val did an awesome climb last year for STP07. I have pictures to prove it.

Brad
01-07-2008, 06:32 AM
After seeing all the posts from people so far from NH I'm feeling lucky to be in Rhode Island (which I do anyway for other reasons). We can be in the Whites in about 3 hours and about 4 to either Crawford or Pinkham. We don't get there anywhere near as often as I'd like, but we're trying harder each year. Last year was the first time we came up in winter and it was awesome. Going to make it at least twice this winter. Can't wait to get back...
I grew up in Cranston - then moved to Warwick when in High School. After college we moved to Bristol - till I got drafted. RI is a fun state and it is an easy drive to get to the Whites.

donnellyvj
01-07-2008, 10:48 AM
HI Kathy,
My Dad is from Westfield, NJ and I spent most of my summers in Stone Harbor. I am lucky that my folks moved to VT cause I love it here. I have been skiing Killington for 25 years now. :D Good luck planning your trip.

VJ

bclark
01-07-2008, 11:33 AM
From the crew on the Rockpile, welcome to the forums Kathy! It's always good to see new people joining and participating in our forums.

a3dad
01-07-2008, 12:57 PM
Hi Kathy.

Hey Jersey. Yeah, I totally hear ya about the adiction to the Whites. I attempted the Presi Traverse this past November - got snowed out and had to bail after summiting Madison and Adams... BUT I'm sure to be back next year! :D

Welcome,
Kevin

climbabout
01-07-2008, 01:31 PM
Welcome from Connecticut!
Tim

MelNino
01-07-2008, 04:56 PM
Another CT welcome :D

spyboy
01-07-2008, 05:52 PM
It seems we're going to need to do a roll call soon to tally up where everyone is from and where they all live currently :)

K

KathyC
01-07-2008, 07:13 PM
Thanks everyone, I'm happy to be here. I've been checking this website forever.

My Fiance is from E. Hartford and I've spent a lot of time there, but he's moved down here now.

My next trip to the White Mountains probably won't be until the fall, but I'm trying to get there in the summer. I Love spending time by the Swift River, the falls and the Albany covered bridge. A lot of fun family memories there with swimming, tubing and picnicking. Sometimes we'd make the trip in the spring, summer and fall. I've never had the pleasure of being there in the winter

Brad
01-07-2008, 07:43 PM
It seems we're going to need to do a roll call soon to tally up where everyone is from and where they all live currently :)

K
Thanks for the warning. I will have to start thinking about how I answer that question. Where do I live anyway?

Brad
01-07-2008, 07:45 PM
Thanks everyone, I'm happy to be here. I've been checking this website forever.

My Fiance is from E. Hartford and I've spent a lot of time there, but he's moved down here now.

My next trip to the White Mountains probably won't be until the fall, but I'm trying to get there in the summer. I Love spending time by the Swift River, the falls and the Albany covered bridge. A lot of fun family memories there with swimming, tubing and picnicking. Sometimes we'd make the trip in the spring, summer and fall. I've never had the pleasure of being there in the winter
Kathy, what is nice is the area has so much to offer any time of the year.

Charlie
01-07-2008, 08:47 PM
yes brad where do you live up north or south

this may be a tough call

i know i would want to live does this count

spyboy
01-07-2008, 09:05 PM
It's easy....home is where all of your computers are (well, it works for me, and it's New Hampshire!)

Kirk

Thanks for the warning. I will have to start thinking about how I answer that question. Where do I live anyway?

Charlie
01-07-2008, 09:14 PM
It's easy....home is where all of your computers are (well, it works for me, and it's New Hampshire!)

Kirk

but for brad that would be all the time ,although i have not seen one on the boat yet

Bretton Woods Brat
01-08-2008, 08:06 AM
Welcome Kathy.....enjoy! :)

Brad
01-08-2008, 08:18 AM

Kirk
So for me I live in my car then. That is where I am right now.

spyboy
01-08-2008, 09:03 AM
Living in your car eh? So this was YOUR "car" I found on the internet..

http://www.gypsyhorses.com/events/bowagon2button.jpg

So for me I live in my car then. That is where I am right now.

Brad
01-08-2008, 10:12 AM
Plenty of horsepower - and heat. Looks good.

Charlie
01-08-2008, 06:58 PM
good gas mileage:D :D :D :D