PDA

View Full Version : Exit Polls

Bill O
01-08-2008, 08:48 PM
Who did you vote for?

I know the official results wont be up until tomorrow morning, but if the media can call an election with 1% of the results we might be able to call this one.

Bill O
01-08-2008, 08:48 PM
I voted for Marty.........

.....twice!

h2oeco
01-08-2008, 08:51 PM
Marty as well.

Brad
01-08-2008, 08:53 PM
Wilson for me - Wilson by my wife - Wilson by my sister. But, I know folks from another forum who voted for Marty.

Charlie
01-08-2008, 08:53 PM
Marty 3 :D

Mike D
01-08-2008, 08:55 PM
Heyyyyyy, Wilson.

spyboy
01-08-2008, 09:01 PM
Wilson!!!!!

http://patterico.com/images/Wilson.jpg

Brad
01-08-2008, 09:04 PM
Some folks at work wanted to vote, so I did it for them on my cell phone - for Wilson. After my campaign pitch, they could easily see that Wilson was the clear winner.

gscookies
01-08-2008, 09:10 PM
We think that there should be more than 1 TopKat..so bring all 3 up. Lots of Kitty Lap Warmers for Winter Cold!:)

mk10
01-08-2008, 10:03 PM
I voted for Wilson... twice :D :D

Steve M
01-08-2008, 10:08 PM
My whole family voted for Wilson, that's 4 votes

Brad
01-08-2008, 10:09 PM
We have quite a run going here for Wilson. this is the thoughtful group. i am afraid that Marty looked pretty and may have won over some votes.

KathyC
01-08-2008, 10:18 PM
I voted for Sara and Marty and Wilson and then Sara again...

It was tough to choose.:confused:

Brad
01-08-2008, 10:28 PM
I wonder what the total vote number will be.

Steve M
01-08-2008, 10:42 PM
I wonder what the total vote number will be.
Tune in tomorrow at 8 am for the official tally. Will it be Marty, Wilson, or Sarah? We shall see, but my gut says Wilson.:D

fifteendays
01-08-2008, 11:03 PM
Hey folks,

In all, over 8,000 votes were cast.

And you may be surprised that more than 60 new members joined-- maybe 70. We've done webcam membership drives, we've been on national television a number of times, we've had impressive articles in the Boston Globe about membership... but this has been the biggest one-day bump in membership that I have ever seen in my 7+ years of being associated with the Obs.

I'm proud of this whole effort. Yes, we could have quietly brought Nin down to a loving home close to vet care. And we could have simply adopted a new cat without fanfare. I wasn't even fully on board with getting a new cat-- but the summit crew made their case for having a pet and sold me and the rest of the management team on making that concrete mountaintop bunker feel a little like home, carrying the MWO cat tradition forward.

The Nin retirement story was a fluke-- it started with a local story and grew from there. Next thing we know, it's everywhere across the country and we had one of the biggest days of web traffic ever. That showed that there was so much interest in Nin and the idea of a cat living in one of the world's most extreme places.

So, we decided to have some fun with this, drawing attention to what we do and to the very important work that the Conway Area Humane Society (and many other shelters like it) does. Sounds like you had fun, too! Keep in mind that there will be two minor celebrities still in need of a forever home after this is all said and done-- give the shelter a call if you have room at your house. The number is 603-447-5605.

Thanks for the enthusiasm and the support in spreading the word. And, as always, thanks for supporting the Obs.

Check the site tomorrow after 8 AM to see who won! Now, I'm headed back to the living room to watch a little more CNN to see who won in the other election...

Scot
MWO Staff

mk10
01-08-2008, 11:07 PM
Bill O - Marty x2
h2oeco - Marty x1
Brad - Wlson x3
Charlie - Marty x3
Mike D - Wilson x1
spyboy - Wilson x1
mk10 - Wilson x2
WSR88D - Wilson x4
Kathy C - Sara x2, Marty x1, Wilson x1

So far we have:
Marty - 7 votes
Wilson - 12 votes
Sara - 2 votes

Mike D
01-08-2008, 11:18 PM
Wilson!!!!!

http://patterico.com/images/Wilson.jpg

Actually, it's a Dennis the Menace reference.

Such a presidential sounding name, Wilson.

achotee
01-09-2008, 02:10 AM
Being the totally naive person I am, I just assumed that we could only vote once... (I shoulda known better).

I had a hard time deciding, Wilson looks like he could be my cat Milo's brother and I have to tell you Milo is one heck of a great cat!

That being said, my son flipped over Sarah who he immediately took a loving to since she looks just like his favorite cat Nermal. She thought the moon rose and set on her "boy".

So, sentimental Mom let him cast my vote for Sarah.

I do have to admit, I'm secretly glad that Wilson seems to be winning the exit poll though...:)

JimS
01-09-2008, 05:39 AM
Being the totally naive person I am, I just assumed that we could only vote once... (I shoulda known better).

I do have to admit, I'm secretly glad that Wilson seems to be winning the exit poll though...:)

And you could only vote once per computer...

I voted for Wilson as well!

kaseri
01-09-2008, 05:54 AM

Actually you could only vote once per IP address. If your IP address were to change then you would have been able to vote more often. That being said, I voted for Sarah... once.

debbie01
01-09-2008, 05:58 AM
In my household: 2 for Wilson, 1 for Sarah, and 1 for Marty.
2 friends voted for Wilson.

I like the idea of 3 summit kitties though. Wouldn't that make life interesting.:)

Tim&Val
01-09-2008, 06:03 AM
I voted for Marty! :)

Breeze
01-09-2008, 06:10 AM
Marty got my vote.

Brad
01-09-2008, 06:44 AM
Hey folks,
Check the site tomorrow after 8 AM to see who won! Now, I'm headed back to the living room to watch a little more CNN to see who won in the other election...

Scot
MWO Staff
Scot, if you tuned into Fox News last night on the TV you would have seen a short bit on the 3 cats also!

Brad
01-09-2008, 06:48 AM
Actually you could only vote once per IP address. If your IP address were to change then you would have been able to vote more often. That being said, I voted for Sarah... once.
I do not believe that is correct. Otherwise, 3 people on different computers in one house would not have been able to vote. The web server would have seen the IP address of the house being all the same. At a business multiple people would not have been able to vote for the same reason - the IP address of the firewall would have been the same.

In fact, multiple family members were able to vote on one computer - in some situations. It seemed to be more of a short timer type of thing. If you tried to vote a second time right after the first one you got an error message that said you could only vote once, but you could make multiple contributions to MWO. But, if you came back later, the other person could use the same computer to vote. Maybe it was measuring the weight in the seat in front of the keyboard.

Bill O
01-09-2008, 07:03 AM

I voted for Wilson as well!

I voted once on Firefox and once on Internet Explorer. It must have been a cookie thing.

Either way, the publicity and membership generated for the Observatory is impressive.

hobbes
01-09-2008, 07:38 AM
I do not believe that is correct. Otherwise, 3 people on different computers in one house would not have been able to vote. The web server would have seen the IP address of the house being all the same. At a business multiple people would not have been able to vote for the same reason - the IP address of the firewall would have been the same.

In fact, multiple family members were able to vote on one computer - in some situations. It seemed to be more of a short timer type of thing. If you tried to vote a second time right after the first one you got an error message that said you could only vote once, but you could make multiple contributions to MWO. But, if you came back later, the other person could use the same computer to vote. Maybe it was measuring the weight in the seat in front of the keyboard.
Not quite right either. A secret formula was used measuring the mouse click pressure. Each cat sampled the mouse readings and made a decision whether or not to accept the vote based on whether they thought it was similar to that of a previous vote. Of course they were not provided with who was being voted for, just the pressure stats.

It must have been a cookie thing.Yeah, the cats liked those too.

Bretton Woods Brat
01-09-2008, 07:51 AM
I sent out a campaign email to friends and family " GO MARTY" Maybe some will join! :rolleyes:

Steve M
01-09-2008, 08:06 AM
I think Brad nailed it on the head. It was a timer thing. I voted four times for each of my family members on the same computer and if I tried to vote immediately after the last one it wouldn't let me but if I waited 10 min. or si I went right back in and voted again.

Brad
01-09-2008, 08:27 AM
I think Brad nailed it on the head. It was a timer thing. I voted four times for each of my family members on the same computer and if I tried to vote immediately after the last one it wouldn't let me but if I waited 10 min. or si I went right back in and voted again.
And you had 7,999 members in your family?

Brad
01-09-2008, 08:31 AM
Now we need to find what kind of cat food Marty likes and get the company to sponsor a Marty's Musings section of the web site.

kaseri
01-09-2008, 08:42 AM
That hardly makes it a fair election!

:(

Steve M
01-09-2008, 08:49 AM
The only question now is, are the observers happy with the choice or will they choose a different cat? Since they do have the ultimate choice in the matter.

Steve M
01-09-2008, 08:50 AM
And you had 7,999 members in your family?
If that were the case, Wilson would have won.:)

Brad
01-09-2008, 09:01 AM
The only question now is, are the observers happy with the choice or will they choose a different cat? Since they do have the ultimate choice in the matter.
Would they be called the Summitorial College?

Mike D
01-09-2008, 09:43 AM
Would they be called the Summitorial College?

The Electrical College... recently on the grid.

bclark
01-09-2008, 10:04 AM
One of our staff that deals with membership sent us all an email this morning. She told us that we gained 113 new members yesterday, and 2 renewals. I updated the comment on the front page to reflect this new number. That's an incredible number of new members in one day...in fact, it like almost definitely our biggest one day gain in membership ever.

We also received many comments from people thanking us for involving the public and providing a diversion from
the other political scene, as well as thanks for getting a shelter cat.

Nin's was honored in several comments our valley staff received, so he certainly has not, and never will be forgotten.

Also, at least two teachers wrote that they used our primary to teach their classes about the importance of voting.

This ended up being a very cool event for many reasons. Thanks to all who participated and were enthusiastic about it. And of course, thanks to all the new members, if any are reading this!

Charlie
01-09-2008, 01:22 PM
and who would have thought that tis would bring in new membership

i would like to know after they make there final decision how long it will take fore the other 2 to get adopted

thanks to all this was fun to participate in

Brad
01-09-2008, 04:20 PM
I got an e-mail from my sister saying she and her daughter both signed up as members due to all this mascot activity. They loved reading the forum posts.

Way to go Marty. Pull in the new members like never done before!

Steve M
01-09-2008, 04:36 PM
I got an e-mail from my sister saying she and her daughter both signed up as members due to all this mascot activity. They loved reading the forum posts.

Way to go Marty. Pull in the new members like never done before!
Marty may be remembered as the membership mascot.:)

Moa57
01-09-2008, 05:16 PM
Marty may be remembered as the membership mascot.:)
Maybe so, but remember, without all of the publicity that the great "Nin" received when he left, none of this would have happened, at least not of this magnitude. Thanks "Nin" and Welcome "Marty"

debbie01
01-09-2008, 05:46 PM
This is the first election that I have actually liked the candidates. I congratulate Marty, although I still would have preferred to see Wilson on the summit. I have three cats, if I adopt another I think Eve will smother me in my sleep. She still hasn't gotten over the kitten I brought home last year, although they are friends. I hope some kind folks will adopt Sarah and Wilson. They are both great cats! (assuming, of course that the electoral collage doesn't decide on one of them). :)

Charlie
01-09-2008, 07:07 PM
can we do this with observers :D :D

just kidding

Brad
01-09-2008, 07:33 PM
can we do this with observers :D :D

just kidding
We like them all.

Charlie
01-09-2008, 08:27 PM
We like them all.

yes we do like them all ;) ;)

Steve M
01-09-2008, 10:09 PM
So how long do we have to wait to know who the observers have chosen to be their companion?

Charlie
01-09-2008, 10:19 PM
So how long do we have to wait to know who the observers have chosen to be their companion?

next Wednesday

Steve M
01-09-2008, 10:32 PM
next Wednesday
That's just waayyyy toooo looonnngggggg!!!!!!!:(

Brad
01-10-2008, 05:06 AM
That is when shift change is. They will take the new cat to the summit with the next shift observers.