PDA

View Full Version : Marty!

Bretton Woods Brat
01-09-2008, 09:10 AM
Way to go! I knew he could do it!!!:D

teledancer
01-09-2008, 11:03 AM
The other cat-idates, as likeable (and splendid!) as they are. did not have the outdoor experrtise that Marty brings to the summit!

Yay Marty! :D

Squid
01-09-2008, 01:08 PM
well i didnt vote for him
but congrats to marty, he will be a fine top cat
to the other, good luck and i bet there will be some one soon to give you a home

MelNino
01-09-2008, 01:11 PM
Yeah Marty!! I did vote for him, but I felt bad or the other kitties. I'd gladly take them, my two kitties are indoor only as well. Well, I am sure they will get good homes soon!

Brad
01-13-2008, 11:19 AM
Will we get a preview notice on which cat is selected? Will Marty be the staff's selection? Do we have to wait till Wednesday and shift change?

I hope we will not have to wait.

Are we there yet?

Charlie
01-13-2008, 05:56 PM
i think we have to wait until wed

Squid
01-15-2008, 09:22 PM
If I am correct, Tomorrow is Marty’s First day up top! And I would just like to day Good Luck Marty, I hope you enjoy your new home atop the mountain!

And for everyone else who is up there, just some friendly reminders with a new cat. He/she is going to be super curious about their new home. Walking into every room and walking the perimeter along the walls before going anywhere else! This is how they orient them selves to their new home. It may take a few days too. It took November (my cat, a good three days to get use to the house 4 years ago) Also It depends on the house, but the cat might not want to be disturbed in this period, so he/she might run away when approached for a cuddle session. Don’t be offended! It takes everyone a little time to warm up to a new home!

I found talking to the cat… yes I talk to my cat, but talking to him, saying hi and his name when I saw him, made him feel more comfortable. I would see him out of the corner of my eye, turn and look at him and say hello, and ask what he was up to. If he responded he would look and meow, and some times he just ignored me. But by the end of the three days, November became so comfortable in the house, he now will meet and greet anyone who comes to the house, he is not afraid of noises or people moving around.

I’m sure everyone up top is excited to see him and meet him. I hope he does well and I can’t wait to meet him in the spring when I hike up there. Maybe even a winter trip (it’s in the plans at the moment!)

MelNino
01-15-2008, 10:26 PM
Also a good idea to isolate the kitty in one room for a day or two.

Good luck to the new kitty and good look to the observers. Hope to see some paw prints when I'm there in June :)

spyboy
01-15-2008, 11:23 PM
Now I heard something years ago that to get a cat adjusted to its new surroundings you put some butter on it's paws, because it will lick it off, and get saliva on it, then as it walks around it's saliva goes on stuff and it will smell it's own scent and feel comfortable.

I don't know if that's true, but it sounds plausible (now I sound like Mythbusters)

And we know Marty will be smelling "property of Nin" on everything in the observatory :)

K

Charlie
01-16-2008, 07:25 PM
:D
Now I heard something years ago that to get a cat adjusted to its new surroundings you put some butter on it's paws, because it will lick it off, and get saliva on it, then as it walks around it's saliva goes on stuff and it will smell it's own scent and feel comfortable.

I don't know if that's true, but it sounds plausible (now I sound like Mythbusters)

And we know Marty will be smelling "property of Nin" on everything in the observatory :)

K

now if i see this on the mythbusters i will believe it now if the volunteer cleaned the place up then no smell :D

Brad
01-22-2008, 07:17 PM
A great ObsCast this week starring Marty. Really nice to see.

KathyC
01-22-2008, 09:16 PM
For some reason I can't get the Obcast to work on my computer, I've been trying for a few days now....:mad:

Brad
01-22-2008, 09:27 PM
For some reason I can't get the Obcast to work on my computer, I've been trying for a few days now....:mad:
First you have to be logged into the main site as a member. A way of testing that is to see if you can view a sunrise or a sunset video. Then go to the ObsCast and either clicking on the link to view the cast - or right clicking on the link and saving the file on your ocal hard disk - and then playing it from there.

If you are not set up for which software to use to lay an MP4 file, right click on the downloaded file and try Open-With and select software on your computer to play it. Maybe folks can explain what they are using. I use QuickTime Player.

Mike D
01-22-2008, 09:56 PM
What version of Windows are you using? What video player are you trying to use (or which is the default)?

I can tell you that Windows XP gives you the best chance of success and using the Real Player guarantees failure. Try doing as Brad suggested, right-click and "Save as"...

Charlie
01-22-2008, 09:58 PM
now i can watch it but when i click on it to save it said i need to buy software

i was able to do this one time a long time ago and it was not quick time .i had problems with this computer and maybe something was taking off but i never paid for quick time before.

any other ideas
thanks

Mike D
01-22-2008, 10:03 PM
The free version of QuickTime will work just fine for watching videos. When you open it you are prompted to buy the full version, which is for making videos. I believe you just click "Later" to dismiss the prompt and the video should start playing.

now i can watch it but when i click on it to save it said i need to buy software

i was able to do this one time a long time ago and it was not quick time .i had problems with this computer and maybe something was taking off but i never paid for quick time before.

any other ideas
thanks

Brad
01-23-2008, 04:57 AM
Correct - I have not purchased Quicktime. I am using the free player.

h2oeco
01-23-2008, 08:02 AM
For people that don't already have it, here is the link to download Quicktime:

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/

Ed

Proweaver
01-23-2008, 10:25 AM
Love the obcast of Marty. He looks like he will fit in with everybody up on top .I hope to meet him in the fall when we make our yearly trip to the top

myboyburt
02-05-2008, 11:32 PM
I hope our Marty wasn't outside too long for his starring role in the latest Obscast. I also hope you gave him some extra treats for having to sit on that frozen bench. :eek:

Bretton Woods Brat
02-06-2008, 07:03 AM
Hahahhaa! That was funny! Exit, stage right. Better luck in Spring. :p

Brad
02-06-2008, 07:25 AM
Ha - I burst out laughing so hard! What a riot. I do hope Marty knew where to head in that dash for heat.

Patrad Fischroy
02-06-2008, 08:57 AM
Ha - I burst out laughing so hard! What a riot. I do hope Marty knew where to head in that dash for heat.
Oh, I think he knew right where to head for

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/comments/2008/020213-lg.jpg

Steve M
02-06-2008, 11:35 AM
That was great! Marty was thinking..."give me the first opportunity to get away from these guys and I'm gone!":eek:

Knapper
02-06-2008, 03:46 PM
Just to clarify, the cat went out doors on his own when we were rehearsing. He is very curious and wants to go outside. There are days when he just sits on the heaters and looks outside for minutes on end. When it was time for his screen time, he wasn't having it. Temperatures were in the upper teens/lower 20s during the shoot so hardly life threatening. My cat when I was younger was out in far worst. He was also in the entry way area, so there was no wind and very little snow coming down. When he got free, he ran to the front doors and then sat there watching us. So the summits' cat was/is fine.

Ryan Knapp
Staff Meteorologist, KMWN

Patrad Fischroy
02-07-2008, 10:30 PM
I may not speak for all, but I for one did not doubt that Mr Marty was ever mistreated or otherwise abused. We do tend to go a little overboard with some of our comments, but I think they have all been made in fun.

Steve M
02-08-2008, 08:37 PM
Just to clarify, the cat went out doors on his own when we were rehearsing. He is very curious and wants to go outside. There are days when he just sits on the heaters and looks outside for minutes on end. When it was time for his screen time, he wasn't having it. Temperatures were in the upper teens/lower 20s during the shoot so hardly life threatening. My cat when I was younger was out in far worst. He was also in the entry way area, so there was no wind and very little snow coming down. When he got free, he ran to the front doors and then sat there watching us. So the summits' cat was/is fine.

Ryan Knapp
Staff Meteorologist, KMWN
In case anyone has miss understood what I wrote, I was not saying Marty was running because of abuse or miss treatment, but simply because sometimes we have ideas for our pets that they may not have for themselves or are not sure what our plans are for them and they try to get away.

myboyburt
02-08-2008, 10:28 PM
In case anyone has miss understood what I wrote, I was not saying Marty was running because of abuse or miss treatment, but simply because sometimes we have ideas for our pets that they may not have for themselves or are not sure what our plans are for them and they try to get away.

Ditto for me! I never thought that our Marty was in any danger. I just hope he got some major treats for starring in this obscast.

KathyC
02-09-2008, 09:05 AM
I've tried everything to see these videos and can't figure out how....

I get a message that the software is already installed. I've tried it on my sisters computer and my work computer, nothing.....:( :( :(

hobbes
02-09-2008, 05:37 PM
Kathy - Try right clicking on the link and saving it to your computer, then double-click the saved file to see if it plays.

KD Talbot
02-09-2008, 05:44 PM
You may also have to do a restart for quicktime to work.

KDT

debbie01
02-11-2008, 04:33 PM
I was having trouble getting the webcast to work also. Finally I used my husband's laptop and was able to view the latest. Marty looks great!! A few weeks ago we sent up some toys and brushes for his fine pelt. Did the gifts ever arrive on the summit for Marty to enjoy (and for the staff to enjoy brushing him)? We also sent a couple of catnip treated mice. We had bought two and left them in a bag on the bureau in our room. When we went to grab the bag to mail the gifts to Marty the mice were missing. One of our 3 cats is a bad cat and stole them. Never fear Marty, we got you some new ones to play with. Hope you enjoy them as much as our kitties enjoy theirs.

I am very much enjoying the webcasts. I vote skier...even though I have a daughter who is an avid snow boarder. Oh well, variety is the spice of life.

Debbie:)

KathyC
02-11-2008, 07:22 PM
I went to my sisters and tried it on their lap top AND IT WORKED!!!!! I watched a few of them, the tears were flowing watching the Tribute to Nin.

My Niece is going on vacation next week, she said she'll loan it to me so I could try to catch up if I find the time...:D

debbie01
02-12-2008, 06:16 AM
Where is the tribute to Nin? I'd love to see it. Nin is a great cat!! Hope he is continuing to adjust to valley life ok.

KathyC
02-12-2008, 06:22 AM
It was the Dec. 24th one, get some tissues....

debbie01
02-12-2008, 09:38 PM
Thank you Kathy for directing me to the Nin Obscast. Oh my gosh, I see what you mean about grabbing kleenex. I cried too!! It was so sweet to see how well loved Nin is. What a truly great cat. My 15 year old daughter came in when I was watching and crying. At first she made fun of me, but then she watched a little and was sad too. The summit folks did a great job with the tribute to Nin. The music was perfect :)

Steve M
02-13-2008, 12:27 AM
Yea, yea, blibber, blabber, blubber.........It moved me as well.;)