PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever seen any moose while hiking?

KathyC
01-10-2008, 06:01 AM
I've seen quite a few on my trips there. But, seeing them while hiking, I'd be beside myself....

billysinc
01-10-2008, 07:51 AM
one word .................forestgnome

Brad
01-10-2008, 02:48 PM
one word .................forestgnome
You mean - Dances with Moose.

There is no one like him. He goes out and has lunch with them.

Tim&Val
01-10-2008, 05:03 PM
Maybe Forestgnome is too modest to post this...

Here's one of his previous posts on the "Views From the Top" forum...

http://www.viewsfromthetop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17445&highlight=forestgnome

Charlie
01-10-2008, 05:22 PM
You mean - Dances with Moose.

There is no one like him. He goes out and has lunch with them.

i think it is napping with moose

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s279/hawk63/122607sleepymoose.jpg

KathyC
01-10-2008, 05:54 PM
Maybe Forestgnome is too modest to post this...

Here's one of his previous posts on the "Views From the Top" forum...

http://www.viewsfromthetop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17445&highlight=forestgnome
WOW, I speachless. That must have been something to see. Thank you so much for taking the time to find that thread.:)

Brad
01-10-2008, 06:01 PM
Here is another thread.

http://www.mountwashington.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2228

And another

http://www.mountwashington.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1923

And another

http://www.mountwashington.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2441

I think he knows their names by now. And they seem to not be bothered by him.

Brad
01-10-2008, 06:02 PM
Anyone find that thread about the rutting moose - no pictures as ForestGnome was too close to them?

Bill O
01-10-2008, 08:07 PM
There's no shortage of moose in NH. We saw one on the auto road close to tree line. I've also seen moose on more than one occasion at the intersection of US-2 and NH-115 near Jefferson.

Oh, and to answer your question. I saw a moose while hiking in the Uintahs in Utah.

KathyC
01-10-2008, 08:11 PM
Here is another thread.

http://www.mountwashington.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2228

And another

http://www.mountwashington.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1923

And another

http://www.mountwashington.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2441

I think he knows their names by now. And they seem to not be bothered by him.

Seeing all of those beautiful phots just brings tears to my eyes, just so gorgious.

I love moose, I've seen quite a few just past the Olivarian trail on the Kanc. Every time we've gone at dusk and they come out. When I was in North Conway this past October I bought a painting of a moose, he's in the woods surrounded by trees in the snow. It's hanging in my living room and worth every penny, I stare at it every day. But it doesn't compare to some of the photos I've seen here....

Mike D
01-10-2008, 08:19 PM
http://www.mountwashington.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=37&d=1166808630

KathyC
01-10-2008, 08:24 PM
LOL, that one I remember looking on the website and seeing it. I was so excited, I called a ton of people to go online and look. My family and friends think I've lost it....

Steve M
01-10-2008, 11:30 PM
That poor guy must have been lost. I can't believe he hiked to the summit. Maybe he just wanted to get to the other side but rather than walk all the way around he took a shortcut.:)

Brad
01-11-2008, 05:34 AM
LOL, that one I remember looking on the website and seeing it. I was so excited, I called a ton of people to go online and look. My family and friends think I've lost it....
Kathy,

Welcome to the world of the sane. We love that type of thing here. :cool:

mtruman
01-11-2008, 09:35 AM
In all of our many trips to both New Hampshire and Maine we've never seen a moose. Not in the woods, not on the road, nowhere! Every time we see one of the "warning - moose next N miles" signs we all say "oh yeah, sure". My wife and daughter are convinced that it is me. I have been officially declared "moose repellent". :(

donnellyvj
01-11-2008, 10:09 AM
Yeah, oct 10th 2006. Going up Tucks trail just before the 2nd bridge. We were hiking up and she was just standing in the middle of the trail. We watched her from like 20 yards. She didn't move for like 15 min. Our group and one other group of 2 were trying to take pics. It was misting to much for a clear pic that night. Very cool night. As she walked off into the woods I think she was saying thanks for waitng in moose talk.

hikergrl
01-11-2008, 12:37 PM
I've never seen any wildlife up in the White Mountains but the moose are all over the place up in Pittsburg NH. I spend a week there every summer. Last summer I went for a quick hike up Mt. Magalloway and ran into a young bull on the trail. Just as I was saying that it would be great to see a moose, it was right there in front of me. That was the first time I had seen one in the woods. Most of the time they are hanging around the edge of route 3.

Brad
01-11-2008, 06:03 PM
I've seen quite a few on my trips there. But, seeing them while hiking, I'd be beside myself....
Poor Kathy. She asked a good, nice, simple question (kind of hoping no one else ever saw any moose). And she finds out the moose come out and see others - but not her. So, either she has to change her moose ways - or she has to get out on the trail more.

Steve M
01-11-2008, 07:02 PM
We have seen a few Moose here and there. Most of the time on the side of the road or just off the road in a bog. 2 years ago in May I went for an early morning hike along the bank of the Saco and saw none on the hike but when I got back to the tent there were fresh Moose tracks that passed within 3 feet of the tent. The rest of my family were in the tent sleeping and never even knew he was there.

Charlie
01-12-2008, 09:21 AM
i see moose tracks all the time when i open my freezer to get some ice cream :D :D

Brad
01-12-2008, 03:01 PM
i see moose tracks all the time when i open my freezer to get some ice cream :D :D
Probably have lots of rime ice too.

Charlie
01-12-2008, 05:32 PM
Probably have lots of rime ice too.

no not in the freezer long enough to ice up :eek:

spyboy
01-12-2008, 08:15 PM
I've never seen any moose in NH :(

When I lived in Vermont, I followed one with Granville Gulf (there's no where for the moose to go except down the road at the tightest point, and that's where I found him, when I was coming home from work).

When I was living in Moretown, a mother & baby showed up in our back yard, of course I didn't have a camera then :(

Kirk

rockin rex
01-13-2008, 01:15 AM
They are amazing animals and forest gnome has the most amazing shots that I have seen. I have been lucky enough to see many moose in the wild and yes to be where you can feel their breath on your neck is a rush like no other.
I was on the Ammo Ravine trail one time with a friend and half way between the cog parking lot and the Gem pool there was Mr. moose. One problem with the Ammo Trail, there is no room for a hiker and a moose to pass each other. When we finally were able to pass him I was so close I could of reached out and touched him. I actually could feel his breath on my neck.
Last Seek the Peak when heading back to the car from Crag camp my son and I saw two moose off the sylvan trail. They were the first moose he had seen in the wild so being able to experience that with him was just incredible.
I actually took video of him walking up towards the two moose. He got very close and I had to tell him to stop. I don't know if his mom would of been happy seeing him rapping with the moose.

Steve M
01-13-2008, 01:47 AM
They are amazing animals and forest gnome has the most amazing shots that I have seen. I have been lucky enough to see many moose in the wild and yes to be where you can feel their breath on your neck is a rush like no other.
I was on the Ammo Ravine trail one time with a friend and half way between the cog parking lot and the Gem pool there was Mr. moose. One problem with the Ammo Trail, there is no room for a hiker and a moose to pass each other. When we finally were able to pass him I was so close I could of reached out and touched him. I actually could feel his breath on my neck.
Last Seek the Peak when heading back to the car from Crag camp my son and I saw two moose off the sylvan trail. They were the first moose he had seen in the wild so being able to experience that with him was just incredible.
I actually took video of him walking up towards the two moose. He got very close and I had to tell him to stop. I don't know if his mom would of been happy seeing him rapping with the moose.
Those are the times when you don't tell the mom. Some things are better left between dad and son.;)

Brad
01-13-2008, 07:21 AM
Those are the times when you don't tell the mom. Some things are better left between dad and son.;)
We could probably start a thread on just this topic. :cool: This is a picture of our grandson when he and i did Grandfather Mountain in NC.

http://images24.fotki.com/v863/photos/8/8235/2633353/IMG_9171a-vi.jpg

Steve M
01-13-2008, 09:46 AM
If that were my son I would definitely have to hide that picture from my wife.:eek:

Charlie
01-13-2008, 10:22 AM
no if that was my son then he would be in a harness and we would be going over the edge :D

Brad
01-13-2008, 11:17 AM
On that hike the others with us kept on saying, "he is on the edge again!" It was a 6.5 mile hike over 3 peaks - lots of fun.

but, we need to get back on topic here. I did not see any moose on that hike in NC.

the_swede
01-13-2008, 07:40 PM

I've never seen a moose while hiking but the last time I was in NH, I saw plenty of them along the road while I was heading towards North Conway.

Steve M
01-13-2008, 07:43 PM
On that hike the others with us kept on saying, "he is on the edge again!" It was a 6.5 mile hike over 3 peaks - lots of fun.

but, we need to get back on topic here. I did not see any moose on that hike in NC.
No kidding, I would never have guessed.:rolleyes:

Tim&Val
01-14-2008, 07:52 PM
On my first NH 4K-footer hike, Mt Waumbek, Tim spotted one through the trees and pointed her out to me. The pictures don't do her justice.

And yes, my first NH 4K-footer *was* Waumbek, and still I went back for more. :p

Valerie

Squid
01-15-2008, 03:59 PM
A few years ago... um 4 years ago, My friend and I took a long (4 day) weekend camp trip that involved hiking, mountain biking and when we got home that moday a night dive in champlain. On one of your after dinner Bike cool downs we where riding a old logging road (we where camped out by loon) and we where riding fast down hill and My friend who was in the lead turned around and asked if I could smell any thing bad, and when I yelled back yes, we came around the courner to see a huge cow moose. by the time we stopped we where 5 feet from here, she goofly ran off as we sat stunned.
it could have been alot worse, she could have turned and charged us and we would have been in trouble. but it was a sight to see! she was a very large moose, older. It still sticks in my mind really well, and seeing her run off was just amazing!

I also see one going to and from work once a month or so around ryegate vermont, he chills by the river and eats in the flood felds

bikehikeskifish
01-15-2008, 05:08 PM
I've seen one exactly once while hiking. On the way down from Unknown Pond doing the Cabot/Bulge/Horn loop clockwise from the hatchery. Lots of hobble bush in that area, and a few different moose yards. What I don't get is where he went. I saw him cross the trail 40 yards away but yet I couldn't find or hear him when I walked down that way, camera in hand.

Forestgnome has seen and photographed more moose than all the rest of us combined.

I've seen a few while XC at WV along Livermore Road mainly, and there are tracks galore in that neighborhood.

Tim

kaseri
01-15-2008, 05:17 PM
I've saw one about 100' in front of me while hiking the Ammo trail back from the summit of Washington.

Brad
01-15-2008, 05:31 PM
You all are talking like ForestGnome is a human out taking pictures of moose. Sorry to clue you in, but he is a moose out taking pictures of humans. He just publishes the pictures of his moose friends for us to see. There is no way a human could get that close so often and take such great pictures. He is a moose.

bikehikeskifish
01-15-2008, 05:34 PM
Well Brad, you aren't alone in your theory anyway. Humans have claimed to have met him... Someone posted a picture of him taking a picture ... over on VFTT. He didn't have antlers, but then again it was winter.

Tim