PDA

View Full Version : Update on Mascot and other candidates!

indie230
01-13-2008, 01:18 PM
Hi Folks,

A choice has been made! I don't want to say anything to give it away since no one has posted anything yet!
I do want to say for all those worried about the three cats.
All three have homes!!!! The summit cat and the other two have been adopted!
One went home yesterday and the other application has been approved. And of course the Electoral College choice will leave for the summit on Weds.

And a side note... three kittens and the famous Tripod Tom(the three legged cat) also went home.. It's been a great week!

Again...
It is always an amazing thing when two non-profits can work together to raise awareness for their organization and the important work both strive to accomplish.

A big thanks goes to Virginia Moore(former Windswept Editor) the acting Executive Director of CAHS and Scot Henley, Executive Director of the MW Obs.

A huge thank you to the award winning, Hope Ullman, for writing the Candidates' Platforms.

I have worked for both orgs(the Obs, as a temporary fill in) and I can honestly say the staff of both places are the nicest, hardest working, dedicated professionals I have ever met!

This was so much fun... the voters, media coverage, emails, working together .... WOW!!!

Mike D
01-13-2008, 01:54 PM
It took them a while, but the observers finally decided who to adopt. Whoever it is will surely be mistaken for a mountain goat. Who knows what amazing weather this new companion will witness in their tenure atop the rock pile.

KathyC
01-13-2008, 02:30 PM
I wish all of the kitty's Long, Healthy, Happy lives, with everything that kitty cats love most. :) :) :)

Brad
01-13-2008, 06:48 PM
A huge thank you to the award winning, Hope Ullman, for writing the Candidates' Platforms.

I have worked for both orgs(the Obs, as a temporary fill in) and I can honestly say the staff of both places are the nicest, hardest working, dedicated professionals I have ever met!

This was so much fun... the voters, media coverage, emails, working together .... WOW!!!
Hope, you did a fantastic job with the platforms! I am sure everyone will agree that those write-ups put us all in the primary spirit.

I am sure the hard working, dedicated professionals now includes a new summit cat. The radar map shows that we are preparing the summit with snow to greet the new Top Cat on Wednesday!

And it is wonderful news the other two cats have homes already also.

Squid
01-13-2008, 08:11 PM
Thats great, the other cats have home! I hope Marty loves up there, I know I love being up there after the long hikes!

Brad
01-13-2008, 09:28 PM
Thats great, the other cats have home! I hope Marty loves up there, I know I love being up there after the long hikes!
We are not sure that Marty is to be the summit cat. The staff might say that a different one would get the position.

KD Talbot
01-13-2008, 10:18 PM
"Let's not forget the lesson we learned in the last presidential election, that winning the popular vote doesn't necessarily put you in the whitehouse."

Your response:

"KD, the election was not even close. Even with a few folks fudging in extra votes, Marty was the clear winner. As long as he does not bite an observer in the interview, he has it in the bag - bed - and beyond."

Just keepin' things honest here! :)

KDT

Charlie
01-13-2008, 10:25 PM
I'm sure they made the right choice

see you in July Marty :D

KD Talbot
01-13-2008, 10:30 PM
Yes, but who?

KDT

Steve M
01-14-2008, 12:20 AM
I would want to say Marty was chosen but no one knows what went down at the shelter. I'm sure they went in with an open mind and with the thought of which one would suit the obs the best. After all, they are the ones who will have to live with the cat.

Brad
01-14-2008, 06:12 AM
They need a cat who likes to be with people, especially strangers. Hiding under the bunk whenever someone comes by is not a Top Cat. Wonder what tests they ran the cats through in their shelter visit.

Steve M
01-14-2008, 08:48 AM
I'm sure there are a number of them such as cat-a-stetics.

Charlie
01-14-2008, 07:43 PM
we will know in 2 says :D

Steve M
01-15-2008, 10:59 PM
we will know in 2 says :D
Tomorrow morning is the big day...We should know something around mid day I would think.

debbie01
01-16-2008, 12:45 PM
The suspense is killing me. I assume Marty is arriving at his new home, but what if...
I hope we hear something soon :)

Steve M
01-16-2008, 01:52 PM
The suspense is killing me. I assume Marty is arriving at his new home, but what if...
I hope we hear something soon :)
I'm with you. I thought for sure we would know already.

bclark
01-16-2008, 02:29 PM
Sorry to keep people in suspense as to what the final choice was after the "Electoral College" visited the candidates. I had a very busy week off(busy = skiing all 6 days) so I wasn't able to visit the forums much at all.

So I went to the shelter Thursday afternoon with (former) intern Aubrie to visit Marty, Wilson, and Sarah. Unfortunately, Sarah just didn't seem right for summit life, so we ruled her out pretty quickly. Marty was a little ball of energy since he hadn't been out of his cage for a while. He was very social though and we definitely liked how playful he was. Wilson reminded me very much of Nin. He was very mellow and affectionate. He was not making things easy by any means!

Aubrie and I went back again on Friday to make the final decision. This time they let Marty out of his cage an hour or so before we arrived, so that he had some time to mellow out. This time he was still very playful, but also let me hold him and pet him and of course rub his tummy! Wilson once again was making things difficult...he hoped in my lap and started purring.

In the end we went the way of the overwhelming popular vote and decided on Marty. There were several factors that went into the final decision. I liked how playful and social he was, plus the people at the shelter absolutely love him and were convinced he was perfect for summit life. Krena at the shelter described him as "bomb proof" and said she has never seem him get agressive or bring his claws out, even when holding him down. We also learned that Marty is very good around dogs, while Wilson is deathly afraid of them. This will not only be good when Red is around, but also during the summer when hikers and visitors have dogs around outside.

Marty made the trip up this morning with no problems. He is already adapting to his new home extremely well. It only took him about half an hour to start warming up to the crew. He was rubbing up against our legs and purring in no time...he even hopped into my lap at one point.

Look for a new comment on the front page as well as some pictures when I get to posting them here in a little while. I figured people would appreciate an update though.

MelNino
01-16-2008, 04:45 PM
Thanks for the update!! Glad to hear Marty is doing well.

Who's Red, btw? Is he that fox I see so many pictures of? :)

Brad
01-16-2008, 05:00 PM
Wonderful news. Thanks for the update.

bclark
01-16-2008, 05:15 PM
Who's Red, btw? Is he that fox I see so many pictures of? :)

Red is a dog who belongs to Chris U., one of the State Park employees.

Nin and Red didn't get along at first from what I am told, but they eventually came to an agreement.

It will be interesting to see how Marty reacts to him.

bacchus2
01-16-2008, 07:03 PM
Hey Brian, thanks for the update, I am sure you made the correct decision.
Look forward to meeting him the next time up.

The xmas volunteer

Steve M
01-16-2008, 11:12 PM
Much thanks from me also Brian. When I first read about the three candidates I thought Marty was right for the job by what was written, even though I wasn't sure on his looks. Glad to see I wasn't alone. I can't wait to meet him this summer.

debbie01
01-17-2008, 05:54 AM
I am so glad that Marty is adjusting well to his new home. I'm also very happy that Wilson and Sarah have homes. Wilson sounds like a real sweetie, but Marty will make a fine Top Cat. I am looking forward to meeting him this summer. :)

Brad
01-17-2008, 06:21 PM
Look for a new comment on the front page as well as some pictures when I get to posting them here in a little while. I figured people would appreciate an update though.
Brian, thanks for the update - and the Observers' Comments today. I copied the Marty pictures to the Summit Cats album at http://public.fotki.com/MWO/favorites/summit-cats/ to save them for folks.

debbie01
01-17-2008, 07:49 PM
I love the Summit Cats albumn. There are some great pictures of Nin. He really is such a classy cat. I will miss him. Hopefully we'll get periodic updates on his retirement. It's nice to see so many pictures of Marty already. He's very handsome. I hope he is continuing to adjust well to summit life with his new owners.