PDA

View Full Version : Summit on 1/13/2008

mutha
01-13-2008, 10:34 PM
It was a rare day today on the Mountain. So many pictures (gallery is here (http://www.parallaxman.com/20080113/index.htm)). Choosing a picture is tough because there's a tendency to pick one that reflects my personal experience and an opposing tendency to pick one that reflects the character of the mountain. This picture is about being on the summit. It's in stark contrast to conditions last March (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08d7inypm5E) (youtube video i made from footage descending the summit cone).http://www.parallaxman.com/20080113/mediafiles/l33.jpg

Brad
01-14-2008, 06:23 AM
I have hiked to the summit of Mt Washington a little over 50 times. Probably no more than 3 times in any one year. Never have I been to the summit in the winter. Tuckerman's Ravine to take pictures - yes. Climbing - no. I have never seen pictures like this set before. They are wonderful.

FOLKS, you MUST see these pictures!

Please submit at least the 2nd Angel's Wings picture (#36) to the Photo Journal. That is fantastic!

mutha
01-14-2008, 07:00 AM
...Never have I been to the summit in the winter.

Yesterday (1/13) was really a rare day - better than most summer days. The air was so clear I could pick out individual ski trails at Stowe Mtn. Resort on Mt. Mansfield in VT. I think winter has the best and the worst (and as of yesterday, my 8 winter summits have officially exceeded my summer ascents by a factor of 2).

I have never seen pictures like this set before. They are wonderful.

Thanks Brad. There are two aspects of the the mountain that I always look forward to: june flowers in the Alpine Garden and the daily transformations during winter. (I'm ashamed to admit I never knew why it was called the 'alpine garden' until two years ago - holy cow! what a garden!)

Please submit at least the 2nd Angel's Wings picture (#36) to the Photo Journal. That is fantastic!

Thanks again! But as regular winter hikers know, the mountain just throws all this crazy stuff out there every day. If we're lucky, we stop and stare in awe. Last December I hiked from Mt. Jefferson to Mt. Adams and Edmands Col was filled with this stuff, crushing it under crampons and destroying a man-sized path through it - it was kind of tragic at first. But the winds were howling and as the 'wings' shattered, the 'feathers' and fragments would pick up and rocket off... and then they grow back.

rockin rex
01-14-2008, 08:36 AM
After seeing these pictures I just want to get in my car and head to the rock pile!! These pictures capture the real essence of climbing washington in winter. What amazing pictures. These pictures truly show why so many people love the rock pile.

KD Talbot
01-14-2008, 04:46 PM
Outstanding report and pictures! I was across the way on Mount Moriah thinking, " Man, this would be the day to be on Washington!" I'm glad someone got out and enjoyed the perfect weather!

KDT

kaseri
01-14-2008, 05:55 PM
Looks like Hillmans would have been an awesome route as well.

Brad
01-14-2008, 07:16 PM
Could you please rotate picture #8 so it is "right". It makes me dizzy looking at you falling off the mountain like that. :cool:

Charlie
01-14-2008, 07:29 PM
very nice pictures
thanks

forestgnome
01-16-2008, 06:46 AM
great pictures, thanks!

happy trails :)

bikehikeskifish
01-16-2008, 07:28 AM
Excellent. I appreciate that you've labeled features and routes in relevant pictures. That is most helpful! I've only been up there once (last October) but the next time may be in winter....

Tim

Steve M
01-16-2008, 07:33 AM
Very nice. You have a unique way of capturing your adventures. It's good to have variety.

M_Six
01-16-2008, 11:52 PM
Wow. What great set of pictures. I was looking at the webcams that day and thinking how incredibly clear it was. :cool: