PDA

View Full Version : Official Summit Mascot Naming Thread

Knapper
01-17-2008, 11:39 PM
There has been some discussion as to what the name of the new summit cat should be. As of now, most of us here like Marty and will probably go with that. But since no decision has been made one way or the other, if given the opportunity, what would you name the new cat and why?

Some notes:
1. Please be respectful of other peoples input. If you don't like a name, keep it to yourself.
2. Please try to keep this thread on topic. I am looking for name ideas not humor that you read in Dilbert this morning or the back and forth bantering that is so common in ever single thread on here.
3. Please keep names clean and family friendly.

Ryan Knapp
Staff Meteorologist, KMWN

KathyC
01-18-2008, 05:03 AM
HI Ryan:

I know him as Marty, when I see his picture I see Marty. I'd keep it....:)

bacchus2
01-18-2008, 06:49 AM
Good Morning Ryan:

I also agree that Marty seems to be a great name for the summit cat.

Regards
John

Bill O
01-18-2008, 06:49 AM
I vote for Marty as well.

It is already his name and it has historical meaning for the mountain.

littleone
01-18-2008, 06:52 AM
as new member (i recieved my membership as part of my christmas) I like the name marty but here is my new name choice. TIKERS. I have a cat by that name and also while reading about the big winf up there that there was also a cat there at that time with the name of tikki. thanks to all od you for bringing us into hour home have a great day joe (littleone)

Bretton Woods Brat
01-18-2008, 06:58 AM
Marty! Even if you do keep his name Marty, all of you will have funny nicknames for him! :p LMAO.....My husband never calls our cat by its real name! I think its a strong name. Not that he is named after Martin Engstrom but that's cool, no? I'll respect any name you choose, by why change it.....Mt. Clay...:confused: Mt. Reagan...whatever, you know it will always be Mt. Clay.

pjg
01-18-2008, 07:55 AM
Another Marty seems right to me.

<edit>Removed political comments.<edit>

tdb1977
01-18-2008, 08:23 AM
I would keep his name as Marty. Thats the name he has grown to known all of his life. He is going through a transition period of being up on the summit, so by keeping his name Marty, it will be some normally for him. Plus, that is the name that I will always associate with seeing his picture. Just my 2 cents on this discussion. :)

CaptCanuck
01-18-2008, 08:25 AM
Edison. Apart from having the chance to name names, this is also the chance to tell you a bit about your new mascot. While I am sure he is registered as a black tabby, it turns out 'Edison' is a very close relative to the only indigenous cat in North America....the Maine Coon. These cats were first discovered by the vikings and purebred species are regarded as the brightest intellectually and physically largest of all domesticated cats today.

spyboy
01-18-2008, 08:29 AM
Yeah, his name is Marty and will always be, why change it up?

You can also call him "The Mysterious M"

K

fitzpatrick84
01-18-2008, 08:31 AM
I could never understand renaming a pet after it was adopted - a name is part of who the pet is - and Marty is such a fabulous name - why mess with perfection?

Limerick753
01-18-2008, 08:35 AM
I'm for keeping it Marty, too, but for another reason. Those of us in the broadcasting industry (and more than a few others) have fond memories of the many years that MARTY Engstrom kept the Channel 8 transmitter humming, and did the legendary "smiling face" summit observations during the evening news. He deserves some recognition, and here's an instant, and 4-legged way to do it. Regards to all from soggy Arundel, Maine.

Patrad Fischroy
01-18-2008, 08:40 AM
Call him what you will, He is a cat for goodness sake. Do you think that he cares what you call him? As long as he has food and a warm place to sit when he wants it he will not care.

All in good spirits, of course, and Marty is as good a name as any.

darleneinmaine
01-18-2008, 08:41 AM
I think that "Marty" is a great name for him! The history that comes with the name "Marty" makes it all the more unique. The minute I saw the choices for cats on the rockpile and one being "Marty", my choice was clear! I used to turn to news 8 just to hear "Marty" give the weather report and smile when he signed off! Keep Marty!:D

WHMOUNTAINMAN
01-18-2008, 08:47 AM
I think we can steal "MARTY ON THE MOUNTAIN". Let's keep his name Marty.

mtruman
01-18-2008, 08:52 AM
Call him what you will, He is a cat for goodness sake. Do you think that he cares what you call him? As long as he has food and a warm place to sit when he wants it he will not care.

My vote is for Marty too. I agree with Patrad - he won't care. We have always picked our cats names based on looking at them and saying "he/she looks like a ....". In this case, he looks like a Marty to me.

Reggie
01-18-2008, 08:55 AM
:cool: I think Marty is a great name. You can use Martin when he is misbehaving. If he knows his name, don't change it and confuse him. He is going through a big change adjusting to life on the summit anyway.

Merritt99
01-18-2008, 09:06 AM
Yes, he definitely looks like a Marty. I say keep it!

Brad
01-18-2008, 09:22 AM
Marty is too famous as "Marty" to change now. It is a great name for him. Lets keep it.

storygirll
01-18-2008, 09:35 AM
Good snowy morning to you Ryan!

Marty is a wonderful name!
Lively . . . quirky!
It's also a "Hello" to Marty Engstrom.
Marty was meant to be!

storygirll >^..^<

Robere
01-18-2008, 10:00 AM
Cats are use to multiply names, all the same Petty Officer Sasha (Royal Siamese Coast Guard) and I join the ranks of keeping Marty, especially as Marty has so much meaning to us old timers!

Proweaver
01-18-2008, 10:06 AM
I like Marty It is his name and it belongs to him !!!!

MelNino
01-18-2008, 10:11 AM
Well, sometimes it is suggested that you change the name of an adopted animal, if he/she had a bad life before the adoption, it's seen as a way of transistion to a good life. However, from what I have read and seen of Marty, he seems like he had a good life before :)

Also, cats rarely respond to their name, right? LOL

I do like Marty as a name, and I like the idea that ws suggested about changing to Edmund or Hillary.....but the more I think about it...he looks like a Marty.

Steve M
01-18-2008, 10:18 AM
As I have stated in other posts around the forums, I think Marty should be his name for many of the reasons posted above by other members. Marty will work well for the MWO I believe, like "Marty's notes" or "Marty's memoirs" or "Notes from Marty" or even "Marty's corner". His name will look great on mugs and Tee's as well.

GO MARTY!

caseygus
01-18-2008, 10:32 AM
How about naming him Clay in memory of the soon-to-be previous name of Mount Clay?

dogdoo
01-18-2008, 10:55 AM
Marty's his name, he knows it, we know it. Say "hi" to Marty and Nin.

moxieman
01-18-2008, 10:55 AM
... has been a legendary phrase since the early 1950's when the first Marty on the Mountain became the chief engineer at WMTW channel 8. When he started doing weather broadcasts from the summit he became a legend, and continues to have a cult following. I think keeping Marty as Marty would continue the tradition of a Marty on the Mountain. Marty Engstrum would likely approve!

Patty P
01-18-2008, 11:12 AM
Please keep Marty's name as is. He has had enough bad beginnings so let this be a great new start for Marty the mountain cat.

vegematic
01-18-2008, 11:25 AM
Another vote for keeping his name Marty. For the history of "Marty on the Mountain" and because a cat with character needs a name with character.
-vegematic

Tango
01-18-2008, 11:52 AM
81I just had to register to reply on the changing of Marty's name. "Marty" is his identity. When I voted for a new mascot, part of the reason was how the name suited him! He looks just like a furry friend of mine named Tango whom I rescued. Marty is a lucky feline to have such a welcoming crew and caretakers that will protect him for the rest of his life. I look forward to seeing more of Marty and how he is adapting to his new home and the beautiful sights around him!

weatherwife
01-18-2008, 01:06 PM
Not to be contentious or anything, but dare I venture to propose something else - - a weather-related name perhaps, like "Stormy", or Alti (for altimeter; or "Timmi"), or "Cirrus", "Glaze", "Rime", "Stratus", or "Vapor". I know my cat could care less what I call him, as long as I feed him each day.

Brad
01-18-2008, 01:33 PM
What is wonderful? We are seeing first time posters out here now! Welcome to the forums - the land of fun. Where it is warm and we can think about being cold.

bclark
01-18-2008, 02:10 PM
I would keep his name as Marty. Thats the name he has grown to known all of his life....

Actually, that is not true. He was renamed Marty just a few weeks ago, mainly because some would consider his previous name politically incorrect. The Interim Executive Director of the Conway Humane Society(and former valley Obs staff member) Virginia Moore did in fact name him with his current name after the original Marty on the Mountain.

I don't disagree that his name should be kept Marty, as Ryan mentioned in his original post. I just figured I should let people know that this isn't really one of the reasons we think Marty is a good name to keep.

Bonbon
01-18-2008, 02:51 PM
I am a new subscriber but I have been watching MWO for a year or more. I am an animal and weather lover from way back. I think Marty is a great name for the summit cat. I liked Marty from the beginning only because I have six black cats. Life wouldn't be the same without them. Did I read somewhere that Marty is ten years old! I will miss Nin but I am sure he will enjoy retirement. Inga was a great cat also. Her pic as a rime frost cat is priceless. I enjoy the summit pics especially the fox and occasional moose. Marty may grow into a new name after he acclimates himself. I am so glad that the other two cats were adopted. Glad to meet all of you, I feel like I already know you. My profile pic is from Blackwater Refuge. I won their osprey naming contest in 2005. We watch from laying to fledging. That year I named them Thunder and Lightning. I love all world cams and animal cams.
Bonbon

kkgreyhounds
01-18-2008, 02:56 PM
Personally, I like Marty. My first thought was having watched and listened to Marty Engstrom for all the years he broadcast from the summit that naming the new cat (or should I say keeping the new cat's name) Marty was indeed an on-going living tribute to Marty Engstrom. Welcome to the summit Marty, Nin left big paws for you to fill. ;)

canoenana
01-18-2008, 03:03 PM
After "consulting" Gabby, my energetic Black Lab/mix, Schmooze, my Schmuck of a cat, and Ms. Alvin, my Old Lady Maine Coon, who looks just like Marty, we all agree that "Marty" is a fit name for Top Cat. "We" vote to keep the name "Marty". As time goes on, he will acquire a few nick-names, as we all do.

Canoenana

debbie01
01-18-2008, 03:13 PM
We like Marty too! Didn't like it at first, but it grew on us and we really can't think of him by any other name.

MelNino
01-18-2008, 03:25 PM
As I have stated in other posts around the forums, I think Marty should be his name for many of the reasons posted above by other members. Marty will work well for the MWO I believe, like "Marty's notes" or "Marty's memoirs" or "Notes from Marty" or even "Marty's corner". His name will look great on mugs and Tee's as well.

GO MARTY!

Marty's Musings :)

bclark
01-18-2008, 03:35 PM
Marty's Musings :)

I knew I remembered somebody posting that at some point in one of the other threads about the new cat...was that you Mel? If it was, thank you! Ryan and I and the rest of my shift were talking about that the other day and we are planning on calling the new cat column Marty's Musings. With approval from our Windswept editor of course.

tikers
01-18-2008, 03:39 PM
I am the caretakers of three cats, one of which is named Tikers. Tikers looks very much like Marty. Even though I would rename the Summit Mascot Tikers, I really think the name Marty fits him. "LittleOne" and I have been to Mount Washington many times, and we love every trip we make up the auto road. People who have not experienced Mt. Washington are really missing out on something that is both beautiful and breathtaking! :)

GeneB
01-18-2008, 04:00 PM
Well I guess the overwelming favorite is Marty. Originally, I was thinking of Top Cat or "Top" as his call name. But if he was renamed for Marty who lived up there for so many years I think that is very appropriate. By the way I have 4 cats and they do know there names and come on command. Because of the overwelming interest in animals and Mount Washington "top cats" I think the observatory should think of publishing a book of the history of cats on the mountain. Also sell professional posters of Marty, Nin and other past cats. Finally I like the idea of Marty's musing column. I bet even a "cat cam" of Marty's bed area and with a weekly or monthly dairy would bring more visitors and members to the observatory. I was up on the mountain on New Years day and told Peter that the observatory should really play up Nin retiring. Guess all the publicity worked, 112 new members in a day, great!!

Finally is there anyplace that the tribute to Nin is still up. I would love to watch that again...

Gene

PS Im a professional photographer, bring me up I would be happy to do a portfolio of Marty....all for free...

chipsterva69
01-18-2008, 04:20 PM
If I named my cats something they would have responded to, they all would have been named Klink - as in the sound the can opener made hitting a can of cat food. As such, I agree with many others - he looks like a Marty.

wxhunterfl
01-18-2008, 04:22 PM
:) I Also Have A Furry Black Cat Named Sheba And She Is A Spoiled Brat And Marty Looks Just Like Her And There You Have It Marty Will End Up A Spoiled Brat And King Of The Mountain. So Marty The Brats The Cat!

Squid
01-18-2008, 05:19 PM
I like Marty
M tothe a.r.t.y.:D

Charlie
01-18-2008, 05:53 PM
WOW
welcome to all the new people posting

and Rosie and i like Marty to

Moa57
01-18-2008, 06:15 PM
Great choice, while I was away from the computer this week and was reading Nin's Notes in the most recent Windswept, I was thinking, what can they call it now, and my choice was Marty's Musings. I probably would have forgotten to mention it, so thanks for beating me to it, it's a great name.

myboyburt
01-18-2008, 08:34 PM
I vote for keeping it Marty.

BTW: Hi, we just rejoined the Observatory after letting our membership lapse for a few years. Read in our local paper that Nin was to retire so we rejoined in his honor. We met Nin during a winter EduTrip in 2000. We plan to do another EduTrip and are looking forward to meeting Marty!

Steve M
01-18-2008, 09:06 PM
It would seem the overwhelming response is for Marty. That is amazing that there is almost a unanimous agreement on this. I think it was meant to be.

Welcome to the forums all you who have just joined!:)

RU98A
01-18-2008, 09:10 PM
Marty it is now and Marty it should remain.

Mike D
01-18-2008, 09:52 PM
We at the Observatory are amazed at the tremendous response from such a diverse group. From Nin's retirement to the election to Marty's ascent we have had hundreds of mountain enthusiasts and animal lovers participate in the process. It's fantastic that the Cat Primary was a tipping point for many people to join who always wanted to or who had let their memberships lapse.

Welcome all who joined. It's good to see so many new contributors to the forums as well. The cat primary was this year's first truly decision election, with Marty winning over 50% of the vote. Yet the strength of opinion in favor of keeping his name is even more decisive. Other names mentioned, like "Tikers" and "Edison", may catch on as nicknames. As he becomes used to his new home, his personality will attract new monikers, some for when he's good, others for when he's bad. Time will tell.

Knapper
01-18-2008, 11:01 PM
Well, it seems like we will keep it Marty. It is great to hear everyones opinions and that most agree that Marty is fitting.

Finally is there anyplace that the tribute to Nin is still up. I would love to watch that again...

Yes, the tribute is under the weather section under the heading of Mt. Washington ObsCast. You just need to sign in and click on the date we made that video. I believe that is what you are referring to.

Thanks again everyone.

Cheers
Ryan Knapp
Staff Meteorologist, KMWN

fifteendays
01-18-2008, 11:13 PM
I have to agree with Mike. The incredible publicity, interest and support throughout the last month has been nothing short of astounding.

Here's a funny story-- "THE" actual Marty came by the office this week to drop off copies of his book (http://www.mountwashington.org/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6_8&products_id=36)to sell in our online shop and at the Weather Discovery Center. I greeted him and we struck up a conversation about the 2003 fire, the state's mostly-completed powerline project, global warming and general Obs stuff, and all I could think of while we were talking was, "Does he know about the 'other' Marty??"

I didn't let the proverbial "cat out of the bag" just yet, and he didn't mention it at all. However, if the name sticks (and I toss in my vote for Marty here as well...), I think we might need to do something really nice for Marty Engstrom to show that this is the Mount Washington community's way of recognizing how iconic he is and how so many, many people still think fondly of him.

He is doing very well, by the way. He is enjoying retirement and looks great. And just so you know, the accent hasn't changed a single bit.

Scot Henley
MWO Executive Director

MelNino
01-19-2008, 08:50 AM
I knew I remembered somebody posting that at some point in one of the other threads about the new cat...was that you Mel? If it was, thank you! Ryan and I and the rest of my shift were talking about that the other day and we are planning on calling the new cat column Marty's Musings. With approval from our Windswept editor of course.
Neat :) though I think another poster may have suggested it as well. Great minds think alike.

KathyC
01-19-2008, 09:43 AM
I have a black cat too, my Fiance named her Zee, my Mom calls her Mini and I call her Kitty Cat, she answers to all three. She looks alot like Marty, as soon as I can figure out how to post a photo I will.

I have a parkeet too that she keeps eyeing up, just a few minutes ago she tried to say HI to it again, lol.:D

My check is in the mail too, I didn't let my membership lapse, I just got the renewal form recently....

I really Love this site....:)

skhill
01-19-2008, 09:53 AM
Marty works for me. If, however, Marty develops a non-Marty characteristic, you could always consider modifying or changing it.

Steve Hill

storygirll
01-19-2008, 11:15 AM
Morning to you!

Patience please - I'm very new to this "forum" thing. I can't quite wrap my older brain around it. A cheat sheet for dummies would be nice.

Question: what was the date for the video of Nin?

Many, many thanks for all the warm welcomes from so many folks!

Smile always,
storygirll >^..^<

Brad
01-19-2008, 11:46 AM
Neat :) though I think another poster may have suggested it as well. Great minds think alike.
The first reference I recall was on Jan 9th
http://www.mountwashington.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2483&page=4

DHA
01-19-2008, 12:00 PM
Keep the tradition........Marty all the way.

Brad
01-19-2008, 01:19 PM
Morning to you!

Patience please - I'm very new to this "forum" thing. I can't quite wrap my older brain around it. A cheat sheet for dummies would be nice.

Smile always,
storygirll >^..^<
It looks like you did just fine. When you are replying there are a set of "emotions" off on the right. If you click on one it will be inserted where you were typing :p What appears on your screen is a set odd characters. But, when you submit your post it is converted to the image you clicked on. :cool:

The things up top over where you type are all sorts of things most folks never deal with. Just type away. When you have a specific question - how do I? - ask away and you can get help.

Texas
01-19-2008, 02:43 PM
Hello! I'm new to the forums, too, but have had a fascination with Mt Washington since my childhood in New England (CT).

I didn't get the opportunity to vote for Marty, but he would have been my choice as well. He bears a striking resemblance to my old cat Pooky, who passed away a couple of years ago. They even have the same poofy tail.

May Marty have a long and prestigious reign atop the Rockpile :)

Texas

Brad
01-19-2008, 03:24 PM
Hello! I'm new to the forums, too, but have had a fascination with Mt Washington since my childhood in New England (CT).

I didn't get the opportunity to vote for Marty, but he would have been my choice as well. He bears a striking resemblance to my old cat Pooky, who passed away a couple of years ago. They even have the same poofy tail.

May Marty have a long and prestigious reign atop the Rockpile :)

Texas
Tex,

Welcome to the forum! We understand your fascination with Mt Washington since we all have it too. At least you are in north Texas - a little bit closer. Where did you live in CT? And do you get a chance to get to NH and northern New England at all?

Great Guinness Ghost
01-19-2008, 05:30 PM
Mountains Are Rarely That Young. MARTY! All right it's a stretch but I still vote for Marty. Can't wait to see him on the rockpile.:)

wxhunterfl
01-19-2008, 06:59 PM
the other cat nin , did the fox ever try to go after him ? :) or it never pop up . i would think in the middle of winter the fox most get pretty hungry.

Bill O
01-19-2008, 08:00 PM
the other cat nin , did the fox ever try to go after him ? :) or it never pop up . i would think in the middle of winter the fox most get pretty hungry.

Cat versus Fox? I'd bet on the cat.

Patrad Fischroy
01-19-2008, 09:56 PM
Cat versus Fox? I'd bet on the cat.
I wouldn't, we have lost several cats in this neighborhood to foxes over the past few years. I myself try to make sure that my cats are safely tucked in the house every evening.

Steve M
01-19-2008, 10:01 PM
I wouldn't, we have lost several cats in this neighborhood to foxes over the past few years. I myself try to make sure that my cats are safely tucked in the house every evening.
And foxes aren't nearly as aggressive as Fisher Cats.

Mike D
01-19-2008, 10:12 PM
Luckily, house cats have a well-advised appreciation for a warm house (or state park building, as it were). There's something about the alpine climate these subtropical felines just don't envy. I can't imagine why.

This reminds me of the time when the fox came in the tower door when they were airing out the living area. It stayed for just a few seconds before being scared away by an investigating Observer.

Moa57
01-20-2008, 09:59 AM
Morning to you!

Question: what was the date for the video of Nin?

Many, many thanks for all the warm welcomes from so many folks!

Smile always,
storygirll >^..^<

The Nin Video was the ObsCast from December 24th

Magpie
01-20-2008, 12:15 PM
And foxes aren't nearly as aggressive as Fisher Cats.
Fisher Cats are not very nice animals. Not much scares them and they will eat animals twice there size.

Mike D
01-20-2008, 12:55 PM
I eat cows, which are about ten times my size.

Fisher Cats are not very nice animals. Not much scares them and they will eat animals twice there size.

Brad
01-20-2008, 02:13 PM
I eat cows, which are about ten times my size.
You also work in high places.

Charlie
01-20-2008, 04:14 PM
very high that is

skilasrocks
03-03-2008, 01:11 AM
A cat's name is simply a human affectation; it means nothing to the cat. Keep calling it Marty, or don't, Marty won't aknowledge the difference.

debbie01
03-03-2008, 12:24 PM
I beg to differ on a cat's name :confused: . I have three cats and they all know their names. One of my cats will even come when called (most of the time). While the cats may not know the meaning of the name, they do learn that it is what we use to interact with them, and they respond. Cats are amazingly personable and communicative. I'm sure those that own them, or are owned by them, would agree. :)

njgail11
03-03-2008, 09:10 PM
Marty sounds good to me.

edog2007
03-09-2008, 09:45 PM
Marty..........Marty..........Marty..........Marty ..........Marty..........Marty..........

Bill O
03-09-2008, 10:19 PM
Put me on the list for Marty as well. I love dogs!

Charlie
03-10-2008, 07:28 PM
old news :D :D :D :D :D