PDA

View Full Version : Good Wind/rain Gear

CHRIS
01-21-2008, 08:33 AM
I have purchased what I believe is all my hiking gear except wind/rain gear. I will be doing mainly spring,summer,fall hiking and I am trying to buy something good and breathable outer wear for the wind/rain. Does anybody have any recommendations on what they have used and experinces? There is so much stuff out there and I want to get something that is going to last.I was at REI this weekend and looking at everything it can drive you nuts. Any help would be appreciated.Thanks in advance.
Chris

donnellyvj
01-21-2008, 09:12 AM
The EMS Thunder coat and pant work real well at first. Although the water stops beading up after a few serious uses. They say you just need to wash them as directed. Well, I tried that and they still don't work. My sister has the Patagonia gear and she says its great ($$$$$$$). I think its worth the money to stay dry.

Squid
01-21-2008, 12:18 PM
I use a Northface Hyvent jacket, it is one of the ones that does not have the fleece zip in, I got mine in 03 and I love this jacket. Everytime I am on washington it is with me, I also ski, coach and climb with it as well. For pants, if it is really that bad of a down pour, I will use some goretex pants that my buddy let me barrow. They are from the army, but they are patagonia. But if it is just raining, my gators go just below the knee, and I find i dont mind being wet!

I have always found, that when it rains on a hike, you are going to get wet no matter what you do! So I try to deal with it, move on and enjoy it for what it is.

Things to remember, find a jacket that you like and make sure you like the hood! When it rains, maybe a baseball cap will keep some of that rain off you too (under the hood!)
Pants, you want them to breath, if they dont, you will get just as soaked by sweating!:D
and make sure thoes boots of yours are waterproof!
Also i like to wear some light weight work gloves to keep some warmth in my hands, the tight fitting ones, like mechanics wear or what ever!

good luck, and shop around!

mtruman
01-21-2008, 12:32 PM
My wife and I did the same looking around and being confused for a long time when we we shopping for rain gear for last summer. I had a couple of previous breathable jackets (one Columbia and one White Sierra) that didn't work too well either for rain protection or breathability. On any strenuous hike they felt like they had been rained on from the inside (even if it wasn't raining on the outside). We wound up both getting a Northface Hyvent jacket that we got for a really good price at the Northface outlet in Freeport. We never would have paid the list price (which I think was something ridiculous like $300) - but they were by far the best thing we had seen for the $75 we paid for them. Hyvent is basically the Northface equivalent of Gortex and works the same way. We were actually looking for the light weight Gortex after trying one in the "Gortex test chamber" that was set up outside of LL Bean, but we couldn't find one that we liked anywhere that didn't cost a fortune. The Hyvent works (and feels) just as good - very dry and very breathable with no "sliminess" on the lining.

FisherCat
01-21-2008, 12:58 PM
I struggled with just the right jacket/parka for years and then nailed the perfect one (for myself).
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39172972&memberId=12500226
got it just in time to field test it during a hike up Cannon during Tropical Storm Ernesto (or Edwardo, I can't remember which one, but it was Ocotber 7,2005) I stayed bone-dry underneath and was very comfortable temperature-wise, which isn't easy for me because I sweat like a bush hog.