PDA

View Full Version : Presidential Range Hike- July 20- July 26

Crew2442
01-22-2008, 10:26 PM
Moderator's note: These overlapping threads were held for moderator approval. I merged them because they were different enough. Every user's first post is held for approval.

Our Venturing Crew is planning a hike from Franconia Notch through Crawford Notch and ending at Pinkham Notch- a total of 53 AT miles plus the hikes from the trail to campsites.

Thoughts?

This has been somewhat in the planning stages since the fall of 2005 (was originally planned for Summer 2006, but got moved back from a lack of adult leaderhsip for the hike)

The group we've got will include 10 (maybe 11) people.

The Youth leaders will start planning the camping areas and hiking lengths for each day tomorrow.

We have a scouter that has done the trip on a couple of occasions that will talk to the crew members.

We will suggest to the youth that they need to plan not only each days worth of hiking, but plan any and all escape routes in case of severe or inclement weather for each day.

We plan on having a vehicle stationed at Crawford notch to resupply (fuel and food).

What are some things you guys have used to help plan your hikes? Also, if you guys have some trip reports, I'd love to have them, especially if things weren't so great (weather) to give the crew members a good idea of the things that could go wrong.

Crew2442
01-23-2008, 09:46 AM
Hello all and good day!

I am an advisor for a Venturing crew in northeastern Ohio. Our crew officers (these are youth for all of you not familliar with Venturing) decided they wanted to hike the Presidential Range this summer over a 7 day period (July 20-July 26). Their tenative plan is to start hiking at Franconia Notch and finish the trip at Pinkham Notch. Over the seven days, we will be doing six days of hikig, giving us a layover day either the day before or the day after Mt. Washington, or to use in case of foul weather that wont allow us to continue for a day.

Tonight they will start planning the specifics of the trip‑ The mileage hiked each day, where to camp, as well as getting familliar with the trail maps. We have a copy of the AT Trail Guide with maps, and I have the AMC White Mountain map set on order.

I also am going to have them come up with a bail plan for every day on the trek- including every trail down from the ridges. I want them to be aware of the weather concerns, and help them develop a safe, challenging and fun experience. I have been reading through as many trail reports as I can find, and if any of you have trail reports, espescially ones that include fould weather, having to bail, etc that would be great. I want them to see the things that can happen that they need to be able to be concerned about so they know what decisions they might face on the trail.

Thanks!

Jim Bailey
Advisor, Crew 2442
Creston Ohio

mtruman
01-23-2008, 01:30 PM
One excellent resource (in addition to these forums) is the Hike The Whites site: http://hikethewhites.com/ Lots of stuff on trail conditions, suggested hikes and routes, maps and many trip reports that will include trails on this route. It was one of the main resources that we used when planning our Presidential traverse last summer. There are a number of other good online resources as well. I'm sure others here will recommend their favorites. Good luck with the trips. Should be an awesome experience!

Crew2442
01-23-2008, 01:56 PM
We are hiking Philmont next summer (09) and I have a feeling that this will be much more of an experience. I went to Philmont as a youth in 99... Hiked 85 miles in the 10 days, and our 55 mile shake down hike in Shenandoah the year before was much harder (but was well worth it)

a3dad
01-25-2008, 03:26 PM
Hi. I'm a scout leader from Northern NJ and are headed to Philmont this year (08). I've never been before so I'm really looking forward to it. I think the Whites are much more challenging, especially when you consider the weather. I'd advise to leave a day or two slack in your schedule to accomodate for days when you can't get from point a to b. Especially when you're above treeline.

Kevin

rockin rex
01-25-2008, 06:16 PM
Wow the leaders will have their hands full. This is a rather large group to do a Franconia to Pinkham traverse. Camping at night with such a large group could present a problem due to such strict camping regulations in the whites.
You say your group is starting in Franconia but that leaves a large area of where your group will be starting. You say you are doing the A.T. so you most likely will start at laffayette campground. From Franconia to Pinkham is an incredible hike but it so depends on the weather. Most of this hike is above treeline and exposed to the elements. My number one thought when reading your thread is where you can camp with a group of 10. This is an amazing trip you have planned but you have your work cut out to make it all come together. To make this traverse you really need to be in top physical condition. Good luck in planning and I hope it all comes together. This could easily be a trip of a lifetime for your group

KathyC
01-25-2008, 06:59 PM
Hi. I'm a scout leader from Northern NJ and are headed to Philmont this year (08). I've never been before so I'm really looking forward to it. I think the Whites are much more challenging, especially when you consider the weather. I'd advise to leave a day or two slack in your schedule to accomodate for days when you can't get from point a to b. Especially when you're above treeline.

Kevin
I'm From North Jersey too....:D