PDA

View Full Version : Another few questions

Nutmeg Weatherman
10-22-2006, 12:14 PM
Is there a maximum amount of time anyone can stay outside when the wind chill/temp reaches a certain level??

What about skin exposure to the cold air....at what temp/wind chill is covering the skin mandatory??

How often do you guys lose power and what type of back up systems do you have??

Mike D
10-25-2006, 11:50 AM
The answer to your first two questions is derived from common sense. If properly dressed, a person might be comfortable for hours in sub-zero temps, OR, a 33 degree blowing rain might drive you back inside. It's all about keeping your body within operable limits, whether that means being outside or staying in. Staff members are told to use their sole judgment when considering their safety (and the safety of guests).

Power, that's a touchy subject. Currently there are two generators that alternate service as the State Park deems appropriate (every week or two). This has been the arrangement since the fire of February 2003. Longterm plans provide for powerlines to be buried under the Cog tracks. This is scheduled for 2008 as negotiations with the Cog Railway are ongoing.

Nutmeg Weatherman
10-25-2006, 04:44 PM
Ever have both generators die?

nevis_highwire
10-25-2006, 04:49 PM
Ever have both generators die?

I've never heard about that happening. Don't count on it though, too much riding on them not failing. Public radio, pagers, police communication, and much more would suffer dearly if they lost power.

I always thought there was a third generator for emergencies.

Pete S
10-26-2006, 07:18 AM
Hello- There is a third ( and fourth) generator on the summit to back up the primary generators. Either primary gen runs the summit independently

Bill O
10-26-2006, 12:38 PM
To make a long story short, it seems very unlikely that all four generators would die. Unless there was a fire (which has happened) or Nin started chewing on the Christmas lights.

Mike D
10-27-2006, 04:51 PM
I knew about the 3rd generator, but not the 4th. My understanding (and please correct me if I'm wrong) is that only the first two can run all of the transmittors and communications equipment on the summit.

Bill O
10-27-2006, 08:46 PM
I knew about the 3rd generator, but not the 4th. My understanding (and please correct me if I'm wrong) is that only the first two can run all of the transmittors and communications equipment on the summit.

I'm surprised you didn't know this. The 4th generator is used for essential operations only, it powers the sauna and hot tub on the deck.

Pete S
10-29-2006, 06:28 AM
Hello-
The 2 main generators are outside the Sherman Adams building. Back up generators are inside the Sherman Adams and Yankee buildings. Considering the creativity and skills of the state park staff, tempoarily loosing power is pretty low down the list of problems that would be difficult to solve on the summit.

Stay warm-- with the lights on!

Pete

Mike D
10-29-2006, 01:45 PM
Oh, of course, I forgot about the one in Yankee.

Creating power is less of a challenge than dealing with excesses of power (in the form of lightning). And even when power is run up the Cog tracks, backup generators will still be on hand to deal with inevitable outages.