PDA

View Full Version : seek the peak-2007

benytomato
10-22-2006, 09:51 PM
Hello, would like to participate in seek the peak 2007, and cannot find a definite date. Could you please post it, or post a date when it will be available. I am planning a vacation around this date.
Thank you,
ben

fifteendays
10-23-2006, 04:51 PM
Funny to be talking about hiking when MWO observer Neil made his first tele-turns today on fresh snow at the summit...

Seek the Peak will be held on Saturday, July 28, 2007, possibly with a new kickoff event Friday night.

We'll be launching a new STP mini-site in January with all the information you need... Check seekthepeak.org sometime in January or you can get there through the events section of our existing site. In 2007, look for a slick new logo, new STP retail items, better goodie bags, more prizes and lots more "stuff" in general. We're looking forward to a great event.

See you there!

Scot
MWO Staff

nevis_highwire
10-24-2006, 08:30 AM
I already put it in my calendar.

benytomato
10-24-2006, 11:12 PM
Scot, thank you for the information, hope to see Nevis there.

beny:)

debbie01
10-26-2006, 02:25 PM
Hey Ben, Thanks for asking for the date. We would like to participate in the Seek the Peak climb again in 2007. 2006 was our first year participating. We kind of found it by accident. We were planning to climb on the day of this event anyway and happened by the weather museum in No. Conway and learned about Seek the Peak. We signed up and had a great time! Lots of great trinkets too! We hope Sadie will climb in 2007 :) ...she was AWESOME and an inspiration to us!!!
Debbie and Paul

Bill O
01-08-2007, 04:44 PM
Is it January yet?

SDB777
01-09-2007, 05:07 AM
Is it January yet?

Nope, you must be thinking about a differnt calender:D

Put the date on my things to-do-list! Hopefully will make it this year. Is there a closeby RV place that someone could post, as I refuse to stay in a hotel/motel.....especially when the wife bought the camper! Lakeside is better, but I'll settle for whatever.

Scott (packing the RV already) B

Rich
01-11-2007, 12:42 PM
I just went to visit seekthepeak.org and it seems they are experiencing full white out conditions on their summit! :o

Rich
02-07-2007, 01:07 PM
Ok...let's see...what happends if I bump this to the top...:rolleyes:

Bill O
02-07-2007, 01:15 PM
I agree, not much activity over there.

Rich
02-25-2007, 10:08 AM
The more time one has the more money one can raise. :rolleyes:

Is it January YET?

(ok...I'll stop)

fifteendays
02-25-2007, 01:46 PM
Thanks for hanging in there... we're 90% done with our new mini-site and we should be ready to launch in the next couple of weeks. Hopefully sooner!

This year, we're making a bunch of changes to the event:
-- New Friday evening (5-9 PM) STP Pre-Party, venue TBD
-- New awards banquet venue... under the big top at the base of the Auto Road
-- Post-hike feast by Hart's Turkey Farm
-- Award party music by local favorites Tom Dean and Tom Yoder
-- All hikers must pre-register, and it's super-easy on the new website
-- Like many other "____-a-thon" type events around the country, we've instituted a $100 minimum fundraising goal per hiker.
-- Two grand prizes... one for the top fundraiser, one drawn among all hikers. For each $100 raised, each hiker gets one shot at that grand prize ($800 = 8 entries).
-- One grand prize is a his/her L.L.Bean bike package with helmets and hydration systems! We'll announce the other one soon.
-- No registration fees
-- Jam-packed goodie bags
-- GREAT long-sleeve event t-shirts for all hikers!
-- Slick new event logo, new STP-branded retail items available soon in our online shop and at the event (bottles, t's, etc.)

Thanks for your patience... the new site launches soon!

Scot
MWO Staff

rockin rex
02-25-2007, 02:19 PM
I will be there for seek the peak this year. I will work my butt off in physical therapy to make sure my knee is 100% by then. Maybe I can work a family vac. around Seek The Peak. Should be an awesome time. Great cause, great people and great mountain. What could be better.

KD Talbot
02-25-2007, 03:14 PM
I would just like to say that people of all ages and abilities can participate in this event. Making it to the summit is not mandatory. There are many excellent hikes for all abilities from the Joe Dodge Lodge in Pinkham Notch. There are volunteers there at registration who would be glad to help you pick a hike suited to your ability.

The goal is to raise money for the the MWO. This can be accomplished without hiking all the way to the summit! I have only summited twice during this event, I prefer to summit during weekdays when it is not so crowded.

I missed the first year in 2001 but have participated each year since. In '02 my dog and I went to the summit in the pouring rain. In '03 we went up Lion's Head and then across to Boott Spur without summiting. It was fun because we explored new territory. In '04 my wife joined us and has hiked every year since. We climbed the Glen Boulder Trail, again new territory, to Boott Spur and down the Boott Spur Trail to Boott Spur Link and down to Hermit Lake Shelter. In '05 we climbed the Nelson Crag Trail and finally had a trail to ourselves. Again, new territory. Last year we climbed UP the Boott Spur Trail. We had only descended it before. Bad weather moved in and we didn't go to the summit, but were satisfied with a great day on the mountain, even though we got rained on. Visibility was about 50' on Lion's Head as we descended. Every year was an excellent hike, whether we reached the summit or not.

But that's not all there is, nooo! At the post hike cookout there is good food, entertainment, and socializing with folks who share your love of the mountain. Also, there are awards for raising money and door prizes. Among the prizes I have seen were a canoe and all the gear related to paddling. A complete family camping package, tent, bags, cooking gear, etc. All quality LL Bean stuff! I have won a door prize of a free meal for two at Notchland which was quite excellent, and my wife has won a portable CD/Radio Stereo.

If you are a business you can participate by a contribution which will get your business name on the T-shirt all participants recieve. Also you can donate a service or gift for a prize. I donate a 16x20 photo from my website each year, and they are well received.

I could go on about why to participate, but I just wrote a short novel so I'll stop here. If you can't make it this year you can always sponser Emma, my dog who wouldn't miss it for the world. Look for her name when the pledge pages appear on the new STP website. Thanks if you read this whole thing.
KDT

Brad
02-25-2007, 07:15 PM
Go Emma!

Emma, Emma, Emma ...

KD Talbot
02-25-2007, 09:53 PM
Wait 'til I show my wife this, Brad, Emma's her world! Thanks for your support and encouragement. Emma says, "Just throw biscuits!" July is so far away we may have to climb MW a few times before that!

I want to add, "Go Rex! Good luck rehabbing that knee and hope to see you there!"
KDT

Rich
03-14-2007, 07:57 AM
I think the site (http://www.seekthepeak.org) is up but it's password protected. Where does one go to set this up? Thanks.

rockin rex
03-14-2007, 09:23 AM
:rolleyes:
I think the site (http://www.seekthepeak.org) is up but it's password protected. Where does one go to set this up? Thanks.

Looking to get things going with Seek the peak but not sure how to set up account so I can gain access. Can someone help us out. As far as me being able to climb on July 28th I have been told by some that there is no way I will be able to climb with me having knee surgery on April 5th. The challange has been set. July 28th has been marked on my calendar.

fifteendays
03-14-2007, 12:47 PM
Hang in there-- we're almost done with the site. We needed to redesign the online pledge functionality and reorganize the registration process. But we're close.

The good thing is that once the site is done and live, it's done for years to come. The bad thing is that it has taken a bit longer than we anticipated.

When we're ready to go, this group will be the first to know.

Thanks for the interest!

Scot
MWO Staff