PDA

View Full Version : Mt Washington Youtube Video

Byahseeker
01-28-2008, 12:31 PM
In late August myself and three friends took a hike up the mountain with video cameras. The result of this is a short documentary which we hope everyone on this site will enjoy. It is only 12 minutes long and can be found here in two parts

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=AAEAAB1269C74890

Any questions or comments please feel free to pm or email me.

Moderators I am sorry for posting this in multiple forums, please relocate it as you may see fit.

Charlie
01-28-2008, 07:27 PM
very nice thanks

Brad
01-28-2008, 07:51 PM
cool - I am ready to go.

Byahseeker
01-29-2008, 10:49 AM
Just a bit more information.... This was all of our first times actually climbing the mountain and although we made the climb successfully it was much harder than any of us had anticipated (although the camera gear certainly didn't help) We plan on making another trip in late spring/ summer and would love to meet up with anyone who has some great stories about the mountain. Until then keep on watching and hopefully enjoying.

CHRIS
01-29-2008, 12:13 PM
Very cool videos thank you I will be making my first trip up on STP.
Can't wait..

a3dad
01-29-2008, 02:20 PM
Very cool guys. Thanks. Now let's see a wintertime episode! ;)

Trekker
01-30-2008, 03:48 PM
Real nice video, guys!!
Been there so many times that I could recognize almost every shot, as to exactly where it was.
First time? You did great!
You didn't mention what routes you took DOWN . . . or was it a ride down?
Never-the-less it was an accomplishment you will all remember for the rest of your lives. I know. I can still remember, vividly, MY first time climbing Mt. Washington - 1970!! - like it was yesterday. Except the summit building wasn't there and Lakes of the Clouds was smaller.
I'm hoping this set off in you the same burning desire to do it again, that I felt so long ago. So far I've managed to get out at least once or twice every year since - including this past year, when I was lucky enough to have hiked Mt. Washington twice - once up the same route that you took (weren't the views down into the Great Gulf unbelievable?) and once up one of the most difficult routes - Huntington Ravine. Doubt I will EVER be tired of climbing that mountain - no matter how many others I have been to. There IS something unique about THAT mountain. Glad you could experience it too!

Byahseeker
01-30-2008, 06:48 PM
We will definitely be making many more trips up Mt. Washington in the future.

Unfortunately we didn't make the hike down. We had interviews with some of the observatory staff and honestly I don't know if we could have made the trip down.

The views were great throughout the hike and the day we had was crystal clear, a great experience all around.

Brad
01-30-2008, 07:17 PM
We will definitely be making many more trips up Mt. Washington in the future.

Unfortunately we didn't make the hike down. We had interviews with some of the observatory staff and honestly I don't know if we could have made the trip down.

The views were great throughout the hike and the day we had was crystal clear, a great experience all around.
Looking at the times on the video you were getting late in the day and not at the summit yet. Good choice to go Plan B for getting down.

Byahseeker
01-30-2008, 07:43 PM
yea we weren't taking any chances knowing how inexperienced we were as a group. Plus lugging camera equipment and hiking is not ideal conditions.

Next time we plan to take a harder trail but to do some conditioning first.

Brad
01-31-2008, 06:10 AM
For STP07 I had a backpack filled with a camera and lens (should weigh that thing some time) - and a camelpack filled with water. We went up Lions Head and down the Headwall. the added weight did slow things down a lot and made coming down hard. that would be a great route or your next episode.

Brad
01-31-2008, 06:29 AM
For STP07 I had a backpack filled with a camera and lens (should weigh that thing some time) - and a camelpack filled with water. We went up Lions Head and down the Headwall. the added weight did slow things down a lot and made coming down hard. that would be a great route or your next episode.
Turns out is it about 14 pounds for just the pack and camera stuff. And your video equipment looked even bigger and heavier.

Byahseeker
01-31-2008, 09:40 AM
Yea I was wearing a vest with about 8 batteries and tapes in it. Camera on my hand the whole time. We also had tripods with us too, just in case.

Towards the end of the hike we split into two groups, one group would film the other two coming towards them and the other group would film those guys walking away.

That technique worked out really well but there may be a better way....