PDA

View Full Version : 3 day hike

hijaf
02-11-2008, 01:47 PM
im looking to do a 3 day hike

ive summited mt washington when i was up there i was talking to a guy and he said he was on a 3 day hike and he would summit 3 mountians

is this a common hike?

basically im looking for more info on a hike i would like to do

Bill O
02-11-2008, 10:05 PM
Hmmm, you're a bit light on the details.

I'm guessing you ran into somebody doing a 3 day traverse of the Presidential Range. I'm a little confused because he likely summitted more than 3 peaks.

There's lots of options. Stay in the huts of course. Mizpah, Lakes and Madison Huts would be four days and three nights.

mtruman
02-12-2008, 08:54 AM
There are a number of ways to do multi-day hut hikes hitting multiple summits. My wife and I did a 4 day hut to hut presidential traverse last summer and it was awesome! See this post for more details: http://www.mountwashington.org/forums/showthread.php?p=12512#post12512

With this route you can summit Madison, Adams, Jefferson, Washington, Monroe, Eisenhower, Pierce Jackson and Webster - all but Webster being over 4000'. You can do this in 3 days by skipping the stay at Mizpah and going straight down from Lakes on day 3.

Another good possiblity for a mulit-day is Greenleaf, Galehead and Zeeland. You hit a bunch of summits this way too including the beautiful trek across Franconia Ridge.

Of course if you want to backpack and tent rather than stay in the huts then there are a zillion possiblities.

Whatever you decide you'll have a great time.