PDA

View Full Version : Hope your enjoying....

Wantabe
10-29-2006, 03:04 PM
Been keeping track of the weather over the last few days. Looks like the winds are getting interesting now. :D

BTW...time to update the server with the new time...it's one hour fast on the weather page.

HAVE FUN! I wish I could experience it.

Brad
10-29-2006, 09:25 PM
I moved a copy of the Conditions image from the strongest wind to the Favorites-2006 album. This gives a URL that should not change as images get archived.

http://images16.fotki.com/v30/photos/1/1002902/4141836/20061029_173531_conditions-vi.jpg

Bill O
10-29-2006, 10:02 PM
144 mph, not bad for October. Did anyone notice what caused that spike in windspeeds just before 7pm when the 144mph gust occured? Did a front move through or did some precipitation mix down stronger winds?

Brad
10-30-2006, 04:31 AM
At 2:00 AM (3:00 AM on the image due to the time change) the top wind hit 158.1 MPH.

http://images16.fotki.com/v30/photos/1/1002902/4141836/20061030_020316_conditions-vi.jpg

Jetstream
10-30-2006, 07:44 AM
The 20Jul96 Wind records are finally broken -- I could be wrong, but I believe that this wind event is the first since the July wind of 1996 to peak at or beyond 154 mph.

I can't wait to see what the resulting 24 hour wind will be.

-- Jetstream

Bill O
10-30-2006, 08:07 AM
The 20Jul96 Wind records are finally broken -- I could be wrong, but I believe that this wind event is the first since the July wind of 1996 to peak at or beyond 154 mph.

I can't wait to see what the resulting 24 hour wind will be.

I was thinking the same thing. I know 158mph is a multi-year high, but I don't know how far back that goes. For some reason I keep thinking there was a 164mph gust several years ago, but this is just a hunch.

Either way, 158mph is big news for the mountain. Just 3mph shy of the October Record and 22mph off the building record.

Jetstream
10-30-2006, 08:17 AM
Hi Bill,

I didn't recall the October wind record -- I didn't realize just how close the 158 was.

I both envy and slightly fear for the lucky observers who are on the summit when the 180 record is broken. I thought the moans, creeks, pops, and shudders when the winds ran much over 120 were creepy, I can't imagine the terrifyingly beautiful cacophany that would accompany the sustained and peak winds beaking the current building record.

With that said I got a crazy idea -- I know there are audio recordings of the wind from the 19-20July96 event -- ( sumit crew: ) is there any audio / video being taken of the winds from this event? Such would be great gifts :cool: .

-- Jetstream

Bill O
10-30-2006, 10:09 AM
Here is a list of the monthly records: Normals, Means & Extremes (http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/normals.php)

Jim Salge just confirmed in the web comments that this was the strongest gust since July 1996 (pending data review).

Brad
10-30-2006, 10:34 AM
Here is a list of the monthly records: Normals, Means & Extremes (http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/normals.php)

Jim Salge just confirmed in the web comments that this was the strongest gust since July 1996 (pending data review).
Along with Jim's comments was an image of the wind chart.

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/comments/2006/103008-lg.jpg

Bill O
10-30-2006, 11:03 AM
I seemed to have misplaced my trusty Hays Chart conversion table so I can't analyze all those winds, but it looks like the 1am hour averaged over 8 inches.

rockin rex
10-30-2006, 03:22 PM
Hey did anyone hear if anyone climbed Wasington in the past couple days with this wind? I can't imagine being in winds over 150 miles per hour. I can't wrap my mind around it. Being on level ground is one thing but on top of a mountain in those winds?? If someone did summit would love to know what it was like. For the guys in the observatory is it even possible to summit in those winds?? I know there are people who climb in anything but this is EXTREME!! over 150 wow!!

Bill O
10-30-2006, 03:36 PM
Hey did anyone hear if anyone climbed Wasington in the past couple days with this wind? I can't imagine being in winds over 150 miles per hour. I can't wrap my mind around it. Being on level ground is one thing but on top of a mountain in those winds?? If someone did summit would love to know what it was like. For the guys in the observatory is it even possible to summit in those winds?? I know there are people who climb in anything but this is EXTREME!! over 150 wow!!

Since the 158mph wind happened after 1am, I doubt anybody was up there climbing. Even if it was during the day my answer would still be the same. Nobody could summit or walk or even stand in 150mph winds. On top of Mount Washington a 150mph wind exerts over 500 pounds of force on the average human body. For comparison, a 100mph wind exerts a mere 240 pounds of force. That's why I am very skeptical when people say the summitted in just 100mph winds.

And that is just the force of the wind. Breathing is another problem. Imagine trying to suck in a breath of air as a 150mph tries to suck it out of your lungs.

I almost forgot. Rain drops sting at 40mph, imagine snow and flakes of ice at 150mph!

This doesn't take into account that these winds were recorded at 10 meters above the surface. Friction greatly increases as you near the ground. From my experience this decrease in wind speed is easily offset by gusts and lulls. Leaning against the 240 pounds of force during a 100mph wind is possible, but as the windspeed changes you need to constantly adjust your stance. Its not always the wind that knocks you down, its the lulls.

Torden
10-30-2006, 04:38 PM
158!

Holy Cow! :eek: Gratz!

I wish I were are up there for that!

Brad
10-30-2006, 04:53 PM
I seemed to have misplaced my trusty Hays Chart conversion table so I can't analyze all those winds, but it looks like the 1am hour averaged over 8 inches.
Bill,

How do you read a chart like this?

Bill O
10-30-2006, 05:07 PM
Bill,

How do you read a chart like this?

Not very well without the conversion table. There is a specially calibrated table that was made just for the MWO pitot anemometer. From what I remember 10 inches (the outside of the wheel) is equal to 140mph. But I don't think it is linear so you can't just correlate 5 inches to 70mph and so on.

A little more background. The graph is changed once a day, its on a 24 hour loop. The red pen draws continuously as the paper spins slowly underneath. For winds above 140mph there is another chart that will cover winds up to 300mph, should the day ever come. The chart is in inches (opposed to mph) because the wind is pushing on a column of water. The stronger the wind, the higher the water column reaches.

SummitStaff
10-31-2006, 06:50 AM
Hi Bill,
the sustained and peak winds beaking the current building record.

With that said I got a crazy idea -- I know there are audio recordings of the wind from the 19-20July96 event -- ( sumit crew: ) is there any audio / video being taken of the winds from this event? Such would be great gifts :cool: .

-- Jetstream

Hi Jetstream,

Mike Pelchat from state park had his video camera at the time...here's the video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7fDEbd8tKM

~SummitStaff

Doyle
10-31-2006, 08:33 PM
I had been watching the winds increase over the day. Since I am south of Mt Washington, I knew they were going to continually pick up throughout the day and night. Unfortunately I wasn't on when you hit 158.

I'm on here everyday looking at the latest info, keep it up great work up there!!!

harrywaldron
11-02-2006, 11:45 AM
When wind speeds exceed 100mph or even 150mph is this attributed to the Jet Stream being almost at ground level in relation to the mountain top?

This weekend, the passing front was significant even in Virginia with gusts over 60mph.

Bill O
11-02-2006, 11:52 AM
When wind speeds exceed 100mph or even 150mph is this attributed to the Jet Stream being almost at ground level in relation to the mountain top?

This weekend, the passing front was significant even in Virginia with gusts over 60mph.

Not exactly, the jet stream you are thinking of is usually found around 30,000 ft, plus or minus 10,000 or so.

Over the weekend there was a "jet" of high wind speed in the atmosphere at the same height as Mount Washington. Most likely, this area of high winds was squeezed between the mountain below and a stable layer above so wind speeds were forced to increase.