PDA

View Full Version : Here's another

KD Talbot
02-13-2008, 05:02 PM
We probably missed this one while the world was watching Franconia Ridge:

http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=Mt.+Washington+night+climber +wanted+'solitude'&articleId=98755042-da43-4c27-90b0-72401d851d05

I'm sure this sat well with SAR after Franconia.

KDT

a3dad
02-13-2008, 05:38 PM
He wanted "quiet and solitude"... With "a reported windchill of minus-70 degrees at the summit and gusts of up to 70 miles an hour" he'd be looking for an eternity of it without any gear at 1am!!! :rolleyes:

Bill O
02-13-2008, 06:00 PM
The thing is the -70F windchill was ongoing at the time. He would have walked into it, gotten cold, and walked down.

Charlie
02-13-2008, 07:07 PM
it said the family called for help may be he was gone all day thats why the called . he may have bin driving around fore some time and then they found his car .
as for some of the people making comment about waiting 24 to 48 hr before they search not true ,if some one is heart or is missing every minute counts.
i belong to a search team in pa and they call for help they get the police and fire dpt , then when it gets dark they call us :( because they did not find them .there was 2 times that people past away because they did not find them in time .we were never called to either search

Bill O
02-13-2008, 07:12 PM
The article says he went for a hike on Monday night. Wasn't the weather improving during this period? Winds were low enough to land a helicopter on L Haystack in the dark.

The article doesn't emphasize that this man just went for a hike. His worried family called for a rescue. The man wasn't injured or in trouble.

I think there is a little more to this story than we know about. Maybe he wasn't in the best mental state when he decided to go for this walk.

spyboy
02-13-2008, 07:39 PM
Yeah when I hear "solitude" "started hiking at 9:30pm" "no gear" I'm thinking this guy wanted to go let nature end it for him.