PDA

View Full Version : Just saw the TV ad for LL Bean....

Nutmeg Weatherman
10-30-2006, 09:19 PM
which one of you guys at the summit was the one digging????

:D :D

Bill O
10-30-2006, 09:43 PM
I've seen a few of the tv spots. I'm not positive, but I don't think that was filmed on the summit. I think they did a great job re-producing the whiteout look, but it's not Mount Washington.

The print ad in magazines was taken on the summit.

Mike D
10-31-2006, 12:11 PM
An intern by the name of Rick was in the print ads.

I don't know if I should blow the magic of television by revealing what I know about the commercial.

misty
11-09-2006, 01:00 AM
If Rick was the one digging where and when was he digging? That's a lot of snow!:) :eek:

Charlie
11-09-2006, 07:46 PM
maybe that will be me out there some day when i volunteer up there.;)

when it snows at home here I'm out all the time ,i love the snow :)

Wantabe
11-14-2006, 03:17 PM
An intern by the name of Rick was in the print ads.

I don't know if I should blow the magic of television by revealing what I know about the commercial.

Go ahead, it's just us here....close friends :D

Bill O
11-14-2006, 05:20 PM
Go ahead, it's just us here....close friends :D

I'm sworn to secrecy.

Brad
11-14-2006, 07:26 PM
I'm sworn to secrecy.
Secretly post the answer here. No one will ever know.

Mike D
11-14-2006, 08:32 PM
I'll reveal the answer in the form of a riddle.

What does scene in the L.L. Bean commercial and Tuckerman Ravine have in common?

What is it that gives Tuckerman Ravine this attribute?

Brad
11-14-2006, 08:43 PM
I am guessing that what is behind the shoveler is a wall with the picture on it. Both have a wall as in head-wall.

Bill O
11-14-2006, 08:46 PM
I am guessing that what is behind the shoveler is a wall with the picture on it. Both have a wall as in head-wall.

I'm pretty sure the spot was filmed outside, so I don't know about a wall...but I may be wrong.

I do know that it helps to have a more global view on things.

Either way, that's an interesting riddle and I have no idea what it means. I was never good at riddles.

AlpineHikerFan71
11-14-2006, 09:07 PM
I'm pretty sure the spot was filmed outside, so I don't know about a wall...but I may be wrong.

I do know that it helps to have a more global view on things.

Either way, that's an interesting riddle and I have no idea what it means. I was never good at riddles.
Aha, good answer Brad, I was kind of thinking on the same lines, but I have been wrong many many times if my life:)

Like Bill, I was never good at riddles either, some will come up with it or Brad already answered it

Brad
11-14-2006, 09:52 PM
I went to http://www.mountwashington.org/news/release.php?id=5 and played the ad over and over. Then I paused it and stepped through to look at the background. It shows 'the tower" on the left - what looks like a garage with snow on the roof - and an antenna tower of some sort on the right.

Hmmm, not sure I have been around the Adams building to the side door at the tower where the snow drifts. Is there a small garage-like structure there?

Still working on the riddle ...

Bill O
11-14-2006, 10:07 PM
If they could film the Everest Imax on Mount Washington they could shoot the LL Bean ad just about anywhere.

fifteendays
11-14-2006, 10:17 PM
Jeez, I'm stumped.

I know the full story behind the ad, but even I don't know where Mike D's going with that riddle! He's a tricky one, you know...

Since we're talking about the ad, I thought you might find this interesting... We were asked via email a few days ago about the song that accompanies the ad. To try and find an answer, I Googled the lyrics that I could discern from the commercial and found out that it is a song from 1960 by Roger Miller called "Footprints in the Snow".

In a weird, tragic Mount Washington twist, it's about a guy finding a young girl who got caught in a snowstorm and succumbed to the adverse weather...

Here are the complete lyrics:

FOOTPRINTS IN THE SNOW
(Roger Miller - Jerry Elliott)
« © '64 Tree Publishing, BMI »

Some folks like the summertime when they can walk about
Strolling through the meadow green it's fun there's no doubt
But give me the wintertime when snow falls all around
For I found her when the snow was on the ground
Well I traced them footprints in the snow, I traced the footprints in the snow
I can't forget the day my darling lost her way
And I found her when the snow was on the ground
[ steel ]

Well I dropped in to see her there was a big round moon
Her mother said she just stepped out be returnin' soon
I found her little footprints and I traced them thru the snow
I found her when the snow was on the ground
Well I traced them footprints..
[ steel ]

Now she's up in heaven she's with an angel band
I know I gonna meet her in that promised land
But everytime the snow falls it brings back memories
For I found her when the snow was on the ground

Scot
MWO Staff

Torden
11-17-2006, 10:44 AM
ra‧vine 
–noun
a narrow steep-sided valley commonly eroded by running water.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ravine

Mike D
11-17-2006, 06:17 PM
Snow.

I'm sure my flubbed grammar didn't help anybody solve the riddle. Most years, Tuckerman Ravine is filled with snow well into summer. That's because high West winds blow it off the summit. The commercial shows a man shoveling chest-high snow. Snow never gets that deep on the summit, drifts notwithstanding. Since the snow in the commercial looks fairly consistent, it probably wasn't filmed on the summit.

That and the fact that no one shovels within sight of any office windows.

Bill O
11-17-2006, 07:19 PM
Also, consider timing here. The commercial first aired a few weeks ago, in October. Did they film this commercial last winter and leave it in the can for 6 months? Or maybe there's another logical explanation.

Nobody seemed to grasp my hint of "taking a more global view" either.

Grizz
11-24-2006, 08:54 PM
Considering the "global view" was this filmed at the south pole?

Bill O
11-25-2006, 08:03 AM
Considering the "global view" was this filmed at the south pole?

That's a good guess and you are considerably warmer (actually a lot colder). But the south pole is a dreadfully flat and incredibly expensive place to film. And for arguments sake it really never snows there, as hard as that is to believe.

Brad
11-25-2006, 08:17 AM
This was either filmed inside a studio - or in South America during their winter - our summer.

AlpineHikerFan71
12-01-2006, 10:47 AM
The print ads feature an actual photo of former Mount Washington Observatory intern Rick Giard chipping away at accumulated rime ice on an instrument, on a cold, windy, typical Mount Washington winter day. The ad states, in tongue-in-cheek manner, that L.L.Bean created their best jacket ever for the guy with the worst job ever.

Charlie
10-25-2007, 10:19 PM
it must be that time of year again ,its back on again and i wish it was me up there :D

Steve M
10-25-2007, 10:21 PM
it must be that time of year again ,its back on again and i wish it was me up there :D
Yea, I saw that one just the other day too. I want that jacket!:cool:

Charlie
10-25-2007, 10:44 PM
Yea, I saw that one just the other day too. I want that jacket!:cool:

for when it gets cold down there 50* :D :D :D :D

Steve M
10-25-2007, 11:22 PM
for when it gets cold down there 50* :D :D :D :D
No, so it can sit in my closet waiting for the few times a year I am up north!:D :D :D

Bill O
10-30-2007, 07:15 PM
Did we ever let the cat out of the bag on where this was filmed?

I still know, and nobody got it right yet. Assuming the insiders are willing to let me give up the secret.

kaseri
10-30-2007, 07:30 PM
Ah, just give it up already!

Steve M
10-30-2007, 08:36 PM
ooh, I'll guess...on the summit, of Mt. Washington?:D

treant985
11-03-2007, 09:45 PM
Somewhere in the Andes maybe? I don't know what kind of snow they get...

Steve M
11-05-2007, 09:21 PM
I'll reveal the answer in the form of a riddle.

What does scene in the L.L. Bean commercial and Tuckerman Ravine have in common?

What is it that gives Tuckerman Ravine this attribute?
The scene in the commercial and tucks have deep, drifted snow in common.

High winds from the north west give tucks this attribute.

So I will say somewhere in the North west that has deep, drifted snow. Like Alaska.

Jasper
11-07-2007, 07:45 PM
Well if no one wants to give us the story after a year, how about a few more hints? Vancouver BC might be a good guess, as there are a lot of production houses around and plenty of snowmaking if the weather's cold enough. I am guessing that snowmaking machines are ionvolved in making the snow and blowing it around a little.

Bill O
11-08-2007, 11:36 AM
From what I understand it was filmed in South America.

Steve M
11-10-2007, 09:31 AM
From what I understand it was filmed in South America.
How does that explain the riddle though???:confused:

Bill O
11-10-2007, 09:43 AM
How does that explain the riddle though???:confused:

Don't ask me, I didn't make the riddle.

sweeper
11-10-2007, 06:17 PM
I downloaded it and replayed it at max size.

1st thought is that's the worst shoveling technque I've seen. Look's like the first time they ever shoveled anything. I know he's supposed to be shoveling in the wind but,...

Although it's already been said that it wasn't flimed on the summit, I don't think it was flimed in a studio either.

2nd they do a very good job of Now you see the tower now you don't. The only way you get a wall on the left side of the tower is if you're shoveling on the north side of the summit as in the picture on the DVD

http://www.mountwashington.org/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=86

And why would you be shoveling down there? If they filmed it in a studio they'd use an image of the real summit buildings

Steve M
11-10-2007, 06:20 PM
Don't ask me, I didn't make the riddle.
We need Mike to help us out with his riddle.

Rich
11-10-2007, 09:44 PM
Is this the commercial? I don't watch much network TV.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNriouQ5LqE

Steve M
11-10-2007, 09:47 PM
Is this the commercial? I don't watch much network TV.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNriouQ5LqE
Yes, that's the one. A stumper huh.

Rich
11-10-2007, 09:51 PM
Why NOT film it on the true summit? Unless they needed to film it in July....

Bill O
11-11-2007, 09:14 AM

That was the problem, the commercial first aired last fall.

Steve M
11-11-2007, 09:15 AM
It would have been cheaper to make, that's for sure.

Knapper
11-12-2007, 12:31 AM
To shed some light and let sleeping dogs rest, I can help on this one. If you want to keep the magic, stop reading this now.

Lets start with the print ads. The Bean ad agency (four in total) crew came up on April 26, 2006 to shoot the commercials (both print and film). Being late spring, there was snow and rime on the ground. While my fellow observers and I were in meeting, our intern at the time, Rick Giard, put on one of the jackets and accompanied the film crew around to be shot (by film not bullets). So the print ads you see or saw, were actually taken on the summit with an actual (then) staffer.

Next the TV commercial. They originally filmed our intern shoveling a path in the Yankee drift. This is an “L” shaped building on the southern side of the summit that gets huge, wind packed drifts in the winter. When I say huge, I am saying two to three floors high. In late spring, it is about one floor high. So they filmed it but did not sound very happy about the results as they left. They sent us the original concept and I have to admit, it looked cheesy. So they scrapped it. They then went to a glacier in South America along the Argentinean and Chilean border. There is a glacier research center there that mimics the summit structures in a sense. So they hired an actor to shovel (that’s why he looks so uncoordinated). They shot the indoor shots in one of the “sheds” at the research station.

They then showed us a rough cut of the commercial. In the rough cut, you can see peaks in the distance that are high than their shooting location and higher than the summit of Mt. W. You can also see a giant wind fan and people throwing snow up into the fans wind path. You can also see the “sheds” of the glacier research center. The original wording was a bit funnier but I won’t go into that.

In post, they digitally added the summit buildings and views. The shot is as if we were shoveling to get into the Yankee building on the south side. The shed closer to the weather tower is the Cosmo shack that is now shut down. As for the garage, that is not from here, that’s the glacial station. The random poles, antennas and signs are not from here either.

So that’s the magic of computers and Hollywood. I actually like the end product. I especially like how they used the same metal mugs as us. Or as we like to call those mugs “Edutriper light shows” (they stick them in the microwave and anyone who has stuck metal in the microwave, you know what I mean). It is aimed for arm chair summiteers (visitors that have been here briefly once in the summer) not the avid summiteers that know this summit like the back of their hand.

As for the jacket, we beta tested and still have three to four here on the summit. They work in very cold weather. If you are using them in 30F above, they are a bit of over kill. But in 30F below with winds over 100 mph and wind chills 100F below, they work really well, I can attest to that. They have a ton of pocket room, which made holding our winter tools great. They also have a padded butt seat that is great for sitting after skiing a slope, fly fishing or pensive thoughts in your back yard or on the summit of Mt. W.

Brad
11-12-2007, 08:07 AM
Ryan,

Thanks for the insight from on-site. Those jackets do sound wonderful.

Charlie
11-12-2007, 06:35 PM
thanks for letting us know it is still a good TV ad no mater how the had to get it done

Steve M
11-12-2007, 09:06 PM
Yea, thanks for reviving the resting dog.:D I guess I won't be getting the jacket after all. We don't have conditions like that at all down here and the only other time I might need it will be up there volunteering next winter!:)