PDA

View Full Version : March 1-3 Presidential Traverse

bermuda
02-22-2008, 05:21 PM
I’m planning on doing the traverse next weekend with a friend and was just wondering if anyone here was planning to be out that weekend. I’m looking forward to it after two failed attempts.

Bill O
02-22-2008, 06:55 PM
Good luck. Please report back with photos.

lordvoldemort
02-22-2008, 08:17 PM
That is great. I am considering doing it with one of the guided services in NH. There is one on March 7 which i am considering.

dangergirl
02-23-2008, 09:21 AM
We are planning to do the traverse Feb 28-March 1st/2nd. Our only issue is shuttling because there will only be two of us. Does anyone know of any shuttle or services this time of year?

dangergirl
02-23-2008, 11:03 AM
We are looking at Feb 28-March 1st

Bill O
02-24-2008, 08:27 AM
We are planning to do the traverse Feb 28-March 1st/2nd. Our only issue is shuttling because there will only be two of us. Does anyone know of any shuttle or services this time of year?

I don't think there are any reliable shuttle services this time of year. Just like bringing the right gear, part of a winter traverse is dealing with the shuttle issues.

I assume you know how most people deal with this issue. I won't mention it here, but the big question is whether you want to do it at the end or the beginning.

bermuda
02-24-2008, 11:06 AM
Glad to see that others will be out there. As far as the guided services i think that's a great way to go. I spent a day climbing at Cathedral and Whitehorse with Marc Chauvin and found him incredibly knowledgeable. My dad did an intro. to winter mountaineering with IMCS and was similarly impressed.

The lack of a winter shuttle is a pain. We're planning on leaving a car at both ends and just dealing with the extra driving. Hitching also seems to be a popular possibility, but most likely you'd need to get more than one ride to get back to the other end. One year I was forced to bail out into Jefferson Ravine and ended up at Pinkham Notch, where upon we ended up calling a cab in to pick up the three of us.

A question on photos. I haven't taken my digital camera on any multi-day winter trips and I was wondering if anyone had any experience using something like a point & shoot Canon over 3 days in winter. I was thinking about just bringing a disposable.

a3dad
02-24-2008, 05:35 PM

Best best is using a taxi service. I've used EZ Taxi before - very reliable but also kinda expensive($90 from the Highlands center to Valley Way). More here> http://www.mountwashington.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2409&highlight="EZ%20taxi" (http://www.mountwashington.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2409&highlight="ex%20taxi")

dangergirl
02-25-2008, 06:50 AM
Thanks for the info on the taxi! We were actually going to try to bribe friends to shuttle us and we were going to pay $100.00 so if there is a taxi service for about the same that is great!
Bermuda, we also took some courses with Marc Chauvin and he was really great! I am looking at the weather forcast and I think we are probably going to start our traverse on Friday. With this winter storm coming in we may end up breaking trail! Ouch! :D

dangergirl
02-25-2008, 07:02 AM
also, we bring a canon powershot camera with us and it survives the cold temperatures. Just keep it in a warm pocket or put a hand warmer near it. If the battery loses power warm the camera up and it will work just fine. Here is a link to pics from last years modified traverse where we used a regular camera.http://www.flickr.com/gp/12439911@N07/x9j658

Here are other pics
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kfolcik/collections/

billysinc
02-25-2008, 07:49 AM
What are your plans in regards to camping? This time of year and with all the snow you're probably looking at 1-2 nights out.

bermuda
02-25-2008, 10:05 AM
Good news on battery performance. I’ll post pictures as soon as I can.

As far as camping, we’re hoping to have a strong first day and spend the night at Sphinx Col. The last time I made an attempt we spent the first night at Edmunds Col before having to bail out due to zero visibility. I’m planning for an earlier start this time and hoping the extra legwork will enable us to make it down to Crawford Notch on the second day.

If we can’t get to Sphinx Col by nightfall, we’ll most likely end up in Edmunds Col (above tree line; if the weather cooperates) or down the Israel Ridge near the intersection of Grey Knob and the Randolph Path (below tree line; if the weather doesn’t cooperate). If necessary, we’ll spend the second night somewhere along the Crawford Path.

It’s looking like it will be fairly windy and snowy next weekend, so who knows what kind of progress we’ll make.

Oh, I also thought I’d mention the most important feature of winter trip to the Presidentials: BBQ at the Yankee Smokehouse (www.yankeesmokehouse.com) on 16 south of North Conway. I’ve been going there for ten years and have to say that a pulled pork sandwich is the best way to forget the taste of freeze dried chili mac n’ cheese.

bermuda
02-25-2008, 10:16 AM
I was going to mention, for those who are interested, that I have a handy little spreadsheet I made that shows elevation, distance, and time info for the basic traverse (Valley Way > Gulfside > Crawford Path). I’d be more than happy to email it to anyone who’d like it. Just send me a PM with your email address.

dangergirl
02-28-2008, 04:44 PM
I will sadly not be doing the traverse this weekend. :( I was diagnosed with bronchitis on Tuesday. Well, I am still hacking up yellow chunks from my lungs. :eek: The doctor told me if I did try the traverse I would most likely end up in the hospital even sicker. I tried to go outside today and the cold air made my lungs feel like they were on fire! Just walking around the house gets me winded. Hopefully you guys have fun. It looks like it will be a fun and adventurous weekend! I am jealous!

Steve M
02-28-2008, 07:57 PM
Hopefully you will feel better soon!:)

mmatty
02-29-2008, 09:51 AM
Anyone still attempting it this weekend? When are you starting out?

Think we are still going to give it a try...summit Madison and see what conditions are, and call it from there. Will try to get to Sphinx for Sat nite as well.

We are a group of 2...wouldn't mind hooking up with another small group.....

Mike

billysinc
02-29-2008, 11:24 AM
I'm heading up there next weekend.

Looking at the forecast it doesn't look too good for all living things above treeline tonight and tomorrow. Take a close look at the forecast and remember Mt. Washington isn't going anywhere. If you do decide to go be safe.

lordvoldemort
03-03-2008, 04:04 PM
So how did the traverse go ?

mmatty
03-04-2008, 09:57 AM
posted a brief report under 'traverse attempt/lost water bottle'.....essentially we made it somewhat past Thunderstorm Junction, lost the cairns, and spent Saturday night above treeline in the wind and snow.

The traverse continues to elude me!

lordvoldemort
03-04-2008, 03:03 PM
I am doing it this weekend with a guided service. Will let you guys know how it goes.

mmatty
03-10-2008, 10:39 AM
How did the traverse go? Did you get out there?

lordvoldemort
03-11-2008, 02:10 PM
We started out on Fri and got to Madison and then Adams. Then we camped somewhere around Edmunds Col/Peabody and the next day moved on to Mt. Jefferson. The weather was supposed to get bad and the guides suggested that we head back or else we could get stuck in a storm and it would'nt be fun to setup camp in the storm . So unfortunately, we had to turn back. We took Randolph Path back.

I would like to do this again.Is anyone going to try this again in the near future ?