PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Mount Washington Trail

Bill O
11-04-2006, 10:09 PM
I'm trying to get a little action going, so what's your favorite trail to the summit of Mount Washington. Most importantly, why?

If I had ever climbed Huntington's I'd probably put that on top of the list. Since I haven't I think I'd have to go with Tuckerman's. I'm really shocked to see in the summer after a spring skiing trip. Its hard to believe I skied over all those cliffs on what was just a steep snow slope.

Lion's Head for the view into Tuck's is right up there especially when you can mix in an Alpine Garden traverse.

Brad
11-04-2006, 10:29 PM
In the summer Lions Head trail is my favorite. You rise rapidly then you are in the open with a wonderful view. The Alpine Garden gives you a chance to look across and also down into Tuckermans Ravine.

Bruce Jordan
11-05-2006, 02:05 AM
Huntington's up and Lion's Head Down. But, all the trails are great and one should do them all...

rockin rex
11-05-2006, 07:06 AM
I really enjoy the Ammo Ravine Jewell trail loop on the other side of the mountain where it is alittle less traveled. The waterfalls are incredible (Gem Pooll) and the views from where you break tree are awesome. Food at Lakes also makes this trail great. I have done this loop both in winter and summer and it has been incredible each time!! Speaking of winter, anyone know if the road to this trailhead is still open?? Not sure when they close it?
Thinking about coming up next week to summit. If trailhead parking is open might climb using this loop.

Brad
11-05-2006, 07:44 AM
I really enjoy the Ammo Ravine Jewell trail loop on the other side of the mountain where it is alittle less traveled. The waterfalls are incredible (Gem Pooll) and the views from where you break tree are awesome. Food at Lakes also makes this trail great. I have done this loop both in winter and summer and it has been incredible each time!! Speaking of winter, anyone know if the road to this trailhead is still open?? Not sure when they close it?
Thinking about coming up next week to summit. If trailhead parking is open might climb using this loop.
I think the key web site to check is the one for the Cog Railroad. If they are running trains and their Ski Train you should get in to the trailhead fine. Park up by the building and pick up the trail from there.

This is the loop I did with my oldest grandson this past summer. It was his first hike up Mt Washington and he had a great time. The loop is long but the trail is not too hard. Pictures of this hike are at http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet/hikes/2006_hikes/07_mtwashdakota/

When the clouds came in he really thought it was cool.

http://images12.fotki.com/v216/photos/8/8235/3779383/IMG_6185a-vi.jpg