PDA

View Full Version : Membership Challenge - 2008

Brad
02-29-2008, 07:22 PM
Many folks on the forum as posters or just readers are members of the Observatory. Some, I am sure, are not members - yet. The organization provides a long list of services to us as web site visitors, the web cameras, the forums, videos, reports, educational programs for schools, research, and weather data recording. They are sometimes even active in rescue events. I am sure there are activities I have missed. It is quite an organization.

I would like to extend a challenge to everyone. In 2008 move up one level. If you are not a member - become one. If you are a member, move up at least to the next higher level of membership. The organization could use the support. And we all will feel good too in that we are supporting a very worthwhile non-profit organization.

I know we can do it.

Rich
02-29-2008, 09:25 PM
Already done!

Charlie
02-29-2008, 10:31 PM
yep me to i'm up 1 from last year ;) ;)

Brad
03-01-2008, 04:27 AM
Here are the membership levels from the MWO Membership page.

President's Club – $1000
"6,288" Club – $500
"231" Club – $275
Summit Club – $125
Family/Dual – $70
Individual – $45
Senior (Over 65) – $35
Student (Under 23) – $30

It does get harder to move up a level as you get to the higher levels. One might have to skip a year once you get to "231" or "6,288" levels. In any way possible it is a great to support MWO.

Bretton Woods Brat
03-01-2008, 06:45 AM
I took a baby step this year...:o

Steve M
03-01-2008, 08:27 AM
My membership ends the end of March so I'm saving my nickels to go up one level. Summit club baby!

Bill O
03-01-2008, 08:55 AM
I'll do it in July when my membership ends as long as the Summit Club gives me family benefits.

Brad, you should keep reviving this thread every month or so to keep people motivated.

I'd say that any one of the membership perks is worth it individually. As a whole its even better.

Charlie
03-01-2008, 01:18 PM
I'll do it in July when my membership ends as long as the Summit Club gives me family benefits.

Brad, you should keep reviving this thread every month or so to keep people motivated.

I'd say that any one of the membership perks is worth it individually. As a whole its even better.

bill it does and it gives you more :D

03-03-2008, 08:33 PM
Ummm, how do I know when my membership is due for renewal? I forgot which month I joined.

h2oeco
03-03-2008, 08:36 PM
If you login (via the front page, not the forums), it will show you your "expiration date" under "membership status."

Ed

Steve M
03-03-2008, 09:14 PM
Ummm, how do I know when my membership is due for renewal? I forgot which month I joined.
ALSO THEY MAIL YOU A RENEWAL AT LEAST A MONTH IN ADVANCE.

Brad
03-04-2008, 05:21 AM
You must climb to the summit and check the log book.

Brad
03-04-2008, 05:25 AM
I just added a reminder to my Outlook calendar with a 2 week advance notification when my MWO membership needs to be renewed each year.

Brad
04-01-2008, 08:18 PM
Since this is a new month, I will pop this thread back to the top. Please sign up to be a member if you are not one. If you are a member, please move up to the next higher level.

Brad
05-06-2008, 07:27 PM
Another new month has arrived. Please sign up to be a member of the Observatory if you are not one. If you are a member, please move up to the next higher level.

Bill O
05-06-2008, 08:09 PM
Javier? Where are you?

Steve M
05-06-2008, 08:33 PM
Another new month has arrived. Please sign up to be a member of the Observatory if you are not one. If you are a member, please move up to the next higher level.
so soon? I just moved up a month ago.:confused: :D

Charlie
05-06-2008, 08:54 PM

if i move up to much they will have to come up with more levels :eek:

Brad
05-06-2008, 09:45 PM
if i move up to much they will have to come up with more levels :eek:
This is a lofty challenge. I am sure the grand powers that be can come up with additional levels if they are needed. Or maybe they can name a rock at the summit for you.

fifteendays
05-06-2008, 11:13 PM
This is a lofty challenge. I am sure the grand powers that be can come up with additional levels if they are needed. Or maybe they can name a rock at the summit for you.

If new levels are needed... oh yes, there will be new levels.

Brad, we may need to create a special one just for you! "Enforcer Club"? Join today and we'll create a special edition MWO crow bar, just like the crew uses to smack ice off the parapet rails.

Despite winter's departure (I believe Wednesday's shift change will be made via truck), web traffic is still strong. I hope that means that the webcam drive will keep moving along nicely.

I wish we could have deployed the new webcams earlier this winter and launched the membership drive in December to take full advantage of the typical winter bump in web traffic, but like any non-profit, everyone's plates are quite full. However, the views from Jackson and Attitash will be amazing once we get these cams up and running when we meet our goal. I can't wait to see the time-lapse videos from Attitash as clouds and storms move west-to-east over the Presidentials... so I echo the Enforcer Club Chairman's plea. If you're not a member, we'd love your support.

I mentioned web traffic-- I just discovered an interesting website that I like better than alexa.com when looking at web traffic. Take a look at www.compete.com to see how we stack up against your favorite sites. Just for fun, I compared MWO to AMC and Views from the Top-- here's the analysis (http://siteanalytics.compete.com/mountwashington.org+viewsfromthetop.com+outdoors.o rg/?metric=uv). And to put things in perspective, here's MWO vs. Americal Idol (http://siteanalytics.compete.com/mountwashington.org+americanidol.com/?metric=uv)... yikes.

More than 45,000 people, like you and me, visited MW.org last month, and that's pretty amazing. Even more amazing is that if only 10% became members, we'd more than double our membership. We'd be able to overhaul the summit museum, replace our vehicles, beef up our research efforts, staff accordingly and add to our endowment every year. That's how important membership is.

Thanks for your support, your enthusiasm and for participating in this growing online community of people who passionately care about this big ol' pile of rocks with crazy weather!

Scot Henley
MWO Executive Director

Brad
05-07-2008, 05:47 AM
I think Chief Cheerleader sounds better. But, I am interested in the crowbar for at the office. To display at the office.

Steve M
05-07-2008, 07:59 AM
For those of you who get an error message when hitting the links posted by Fifteendays, just keep hitting your refresh button until the page loads correctly. It will eventually load.

Brad
05-17-2008, 07:28 AM
We are up to 131 new members! We are getting to the 250 mark - lets get rolling - please sign up.

Brad
05-19-2008, 05:07 PM
142 and climbing (pun intended).

Brad
05-23-2008, 07:37 AM
We are up 147 memberships already in!

Hmmm, 250 total minus 147 - "93 new memberships on the wall - 93 new to go - 93 new memberships on the wall - sign one up - cheers all around - 92 new memberships on the wall".

Sounds like a good drinking song. A new OpsCast topic?

RI Swamp Yankee
05-23-2008, 12:26 PM
... Sounds like a good drinking song. .... but I think we need to start at 103 .... or as of noon today 101.

Brad
05-23-2008, 05:56 PM
Oh yuck. I will have to go back and start singing at 101 new memberships . . .

Brad
06-01-2008, 10:44 AM
We are at 161 new members for the current Membership Challenge. Sign up - increase the level of your membership one level. Support a great organization!

Brad
07-29-2008, 05:30 AM
STP is over and now we need to focus on getting those last new memberships to give us all the 2 new web cameras to look at multiple times a day. We are so close to our goal of 250 new members. Maybe lots of folks signed up at the STP events and those numbers have not been counted yet.

If you are not a member, please sign up and get over our goal. We "NEED" these 2 new cameras to give us our daily NH mountain and MW fix.

TrishandAlex
07-29-2008, 08:19 AM
We just joined as a family. Happy to do so.

Caffeine Addict
07-29-2008, 04:55 PM
congrats to you for becoming a member TrishandAlex

Brad
07-29-2008, 10:34 PM
We just joined as a family. Happy to do so.
Wonderful news. You will enjoy the benefits and also know that you are helping a great organization.

Brad
09-04-2008, 05:05 AM
This thread was created at the beginning of the year to challenge us all to upgrade our membership level one notch this year. Or, if you are not a member, become one. Each month this have popped to the top of the discussion list to remind us all. We took a bit of a break to focus on the New Web Camera Membership Drive and STP. Now it is September and time to remind us all again.

Please look at moving your membership level up. It is a great organization that always needs our support. Look not at what MWO can do for you (web cameras) - look at what you can do for MWO (memberships).

whitestar505
09-04-2008, 06:06 AM
All
I have to confess that I too was a guest visiting the web site for over two years. At this time in life I am mostly a reader... I am happy to be part of and listen to the adventures you all share. Keep moving !

ws

Brad
09-04-2008, 09:12 AM
The web site, web cameras, and this forum are just some of the things the Observatory brings us. All of it costs money to provide and our membership dollars help to keep it all in place. Signing up for the forum is good and we would like more folks to participate. However, MWO membership is critical to the organization.

Here is a link to learn more about MWO membership.

http://www.mountwashington.org/about/membership/

Brad
10-10-2008, 07:41 PM
It is a new month and it is time to remind us all that this challenge is running. When your membership is up for renewal please upgrade to the next higher level. If you are not a member, please join.

When the economy slows or sputters it is the time to support great organizations like MWO. They need our support even more right now.

Brad
11-04-2008, 06:47 PM
I almost forgot! It is that time of a new month to move this challenge to the top of the list again.

If you are not a member, please join. Do it in recognition of your favorite Presidential candidate. Joining the Observatory is a very Presidential thing to do in November.

If you are a member and your renewal date is approaching, please think about moving up one membership level. This also is a Presidential thing to do. I am sure all the Presidents in the range would appreciate it as much as the Observatory itself.

P.S. I will admit I renewed last month and stayed at my current "6288" level - and would welcome folks to join me there - or higher.

Charlie
11-04-2008, 07:07 PM
well brad i wish i could say this year i will up my membership but this year i will have to stay the same because i was off work with my shoulder and did not make a lot of overtime .

i will keep my membership at Summit Club and i will give $100 for seek the peak .if i have a good spring and summer i will give more to STP .

Brad
11-04-2008, 07:18 PM
well brad i wish i could say this year i will up my membership but this year i will have to stay the same because i was off work with my shoulder and did not make a lot of overtime .

i will keep my membership at Summit Club and i will give $100 for seek the peak .if i have a good spring and summer i will give more to STP .
Charlie, it sounds like a plan. Stick to it and you will be happy with your support.

Brad
12-01-2008, 09:21 PM
Chief MWO Cheerleader here - It is a new month and the last month of the year for our 2008 Membership Challenge. If you are not a member, please join. It is also a great Christmas gift o give someone. If you are a member, when your renewal comes up, please raise your membership one level. Get at least to a Club level - and stay there.

My membership was renewed last month and I just got this nice letter from Scot thanking me for my membership. His letter outlined several things I could do to "be an active Observatory supporter".

I could volunteer on the summit for a week. Hmmm, we have discussed this option and folks know that there would be a revolt if the wonderful observors had to depend on my cooking. But, I am sure there are other ways of volunteering. It is a very flexible organization.

Go on an exclusive overnight Edutrip and special DayTrips to the Observatory in the winter. Both of these options are on my list of Must Do things. We are signed up for a winter day on the summit which is very exciting.

There are special events for members and special "special events" for Club Level members.

Ah, participate in the forums. I do that.

Submit photos to the Photo Journal (and get past Jim's keen photography eye) and be published. I do recall my first accepted submission. The whole Journal is fun to see and great to review on a regular basis.

Read every word of the "Windswept" magazine when it comes out. See what is going on at the summit. Learn about all sorts of topics and higher peaks stories. I am sure you will find several articles that will pique your interest.

It is a great organization and one that is fun to be an active supporter. MWO will keep up the good work. It is time for us to increase our support.

Charlie
12-02-2008, 08:38 PM
brad did you signed up for the over night trip yet and is going to be a summer or winter trip . i would be nice if we could get a couple of forum members to all go on the same trip :D
now that would be a fun trip [ im in for one ]:D

Brad
12-03-2008, 06:41 AM
Charlie,

I have not signed up for an overnight yet - but, I will. Probably not 2009 though. My son and I are doing a day trip (weather permitting) in February which has me so excited I could burst. I have never been above Tuckermans in the winter. This is one of the invitation-only "for Club Level members day trips in the winter" deals. It was mentioned in a membership flyer last fall and I was on the phone first thing the next morning to get a seat - on the snowcat.

Did I mention I was excited?

Charlie
12-03-2008, 03:59 PM
wow that does sound good and yes you do sound a little excited :eek:

Brad
12-03-2008, 04:08 PM
wow that does sound good and yes you do sound a little excited :eek:
Oh - and did I mention I was excited?

Membership in MWO is so good.

Charlie
12-03-2008, 04:13 PM
Oh - and did I mention I was excited?

Membership in MWO is so good.

yes you did say you were :eek::eek::eek:

and yes MWO membership is good :D

mtruman
12-03-2008, 05:55 PM
There seems to be a lot of excitement here :)

Brad
01-30-2009, 06:43 PM
Folks,

To all who joined the Observatory in 2008, thanks for becoming a member and supporting a great organization. And for those folks who took up the challenge and moved to a higher membership level - THANKS!

It would be nice to know how many did do this. Any number is a big help.

Steve M
02-02-2009, 01:08 PM
Folks,

To all who joined the Observatory in 2008, thanks for becoming a member and supporting a great organization. And for those folks who took up the challenge and moved to a higher membership level - THANKS!

It would be nice to know how many did do this. Any number is a big help.

Brad, now's your chance to start the '09 membership drive.:)

Brad
02-02-2009, 02:15 PM
Brad, now's your chance to start the '09 membership drive.:)
Double or nothing?

Charlie
02-02-2009, 04:55 PM
i paid for 2009 and my account said i did not

did you have something to do with this brad :eek:

just kidding brad i e mailed them and we will see :D

MelNino
02-02-2009, 08:36 PM
Got my membership card in the mail a few days ago :):) (have to remember to get that thing laminated) and already used to get a goody from the online store. SO awesome, and I missed seeing the kitty column in the bulletin.

Steve M
02-15-2009, 01:36 AM
I am going to try hard to go up one level again this year. We will see how the funds are at that time. Anyone else thinking of raising the bar this year?

Brad
04-08-2009, 08:39 PM
I am going to try hard to go up one level again this year. We will see how the funds are at that time. Anyone else thinking of raising the bar this year?
Steve is asking the right question. Are you going to raise the bar this year? Can you do it now?

Many of us subscribe to the news e-mails MWO sends out. The one that just came to us included several very important things.

One was a special event no one should miss! It is an evening photo presentation given by Jim Salge and ForestGnome (aka Patrick) on May 16th. BUT - drum roll - it is only for Club Level members. That is, you have paid at the membership level of $150 or higher. This is one of those events you should not miss. I will figure out some way to be there from NC.

If you are not at the Club Level, renew your membership early at the Club Level to be able to go. Or, send off a check for the difference and move up to it. Find a way to support this event - and the Observatory.

Also the newsletter had a video of Scot talking through "the good, the bad and the ugly". The ugly is that donations to MWO are down compared to prior years. When the economy is tough, as it is today, our support for key non-profit organizations is more important than ever. If you are not a member, please join. The funds are really needed right now.

If you are a member - whether you are up for renewal or not - think about sending off an extra check as a donation. Maybe moving to the next level is hard for you. Split the difference and send an extra check. Or, as we have been talking for over a year, move to the next higher membership level.

Did you get a large tax refund check? Send it to MWO! They need it. We get so much from the organization that they give out for free. We do need to support it any way we can.

The membership page is at https://secure3.convio.net/mwobs/site/SPageNavigator/membership/membership_center

The levels are:
President's Club - $1000
6,288 Club - $500
"231" Club - $300
Summit Club - $150
Family/Dual - $70
Individual - $45
Senior (65+) - $35
Student - $30

The donation page is at https://secure3.convio.net/mwobs/site/SPageNavigator/giving/donor_center

It is time we stepped forward.

PS. I talked to the Evil Bunny and even he is going to join.

Charlie
04-10-2009, 09:37 PM
One was a special event no one should miss! It is an evening photo presentation given by Jim Salge and ForestGnome (aka Patrick) on May 16th. BUT - drum roll - it is only for Club Level members. That is, you have paid at the membership level of $150 or higher. This is one of those events you should not miss. I will figure out some way to be there from NC.

where is the info about this

fifteendays
04-10-2009, 11:00 PM

Coming soon on the website... we just announced it in our latest e-newsletter.

It's a special "thank you" event for Club Level members ($150+) and Obs major donors, one of a few that we'll do over the next year or so. Wine & cheese plus incredible photography from Jim and Patrick... what could be better?

Invites go out in the mail this week, so stay tuned.

Scot
MWO Staff

Brad
04-11-2009, 08:33 AM
Charlie,

Sign up for the e-newsletters on the MWO site. They are sent out every so often and are a nice way of keeping in touch with new announcements.

On the left side of this page is a "Join our Email List" link.

http://www.mountwashington.org/news/

Charlie
04-11-2009, 06:30 PM
Coming soon on the website... we just announced it in our latest e-newsletter.

It's a special "thank you" event for Club Level members ($150+) and Obs major donors, one of a few that we'll do over the next year or so. Wine & cheese plus incredible photography from Jim and Patrick... what could be better?

Invites go out in the mail this week, so stay tuned.

Scot
MWO Staff

thanks scot im will be making plans on coming :D

Brad
04-11-2009, 08:44 PM
It turns out I have a church meeting the weekend before - and a college graduation to go to in Boston the day after this event. So, I will be there! For sure.

Charlie
04-11-2009, 09:40 PM
sounds good

now i need to find a place to stay ,im looking into a place that has little cabins or i may camp out
i think it will be just me

Steve M
04-13-2009, 12:00 PM
Wow, I would love to go but I don't think I can afford the cost or the time to travel up there. Sounds like an awesome event though.

I wish Stargates were real. :)

Brad
05-03-2009, 01:21 PM
This is a new month and we need a reminder that if folks are not members of Mount Washington Observatory, please sign up. It is a great organization that needs our support.

If you are a member and your membership is up to be renewed, think about moving up one level to provide a bit more support.

If you are at the Club level you can come with us to the special event in N Conway on May 16th - photo show put on by 2 of the Observatory's very active supporters. Otherwise, move up to the Club Level to be able to join us on May 16th. It is worth the higher membership level.

Here is the membership page
https://secure3.convio.net/mwobs/site/SPageNavigator/membership/membership_center