PDA

View Full Version : Thunderbolt Ski Trail

davidhowland14
11-07-2006, 07:08 PM
I'm planning a trip the Thunderbolt Ski Trail on Greylock this winter. I'm looking for any and all information pertaining to when the best time to ski is, where to camp, what the trail and the skiing is like, trailheads, etc. Any information is welcomed appreciatively.

Bill O
11-07-2006, 08:07 PM
I think I can dig up some info on this trail, its covered in a ski guide book I have. The biggest issue I see is snowfall. You need to time it after a big storm when a sufficient snowpack has built up. I'm not entirely convinced this area accumulates a snowpack anymore.

Bill O
11-07-2006, 08:13 PM
There's an 8 page section in the AMC: "Bakccountry Skiing Adventures, Vermont & New York" book.

Nothing about camping though.

davidhowland14
11-09-2006, 11:55 AM
From what I saw at the top of Greylock about three weeks ago, the area still accumulates a signifigant snowpack. I think that some of their snow lasted through the summer this year, but I'm not sure.

Bill O
11-09-2006, 02:50 PM
From what I saw at the top of Greylock about three weeks ago, the area still accumulates a signifigant snowpack. I think that some of their snow lasted through the summer this year, but I'm not sure.

I'm positive the snow on Greylock did not last through the summer. I could see the snow lasting through May, but at 3,000 feet that is pushing it. To beat 90 degree days you'd probably need 100 feet of snow to make it through summer. That is what they get in WA at 6,000 feet and it still melts out.

My guess is that it has been decades since Mount Washington kept some snow through summer. Maybe after the big 68-69 winter. I saw a large snow pile in Tucks in August 1996, but even that melted out.

davidhowland14
11-09-2006, 06:42 PM
oh well, anyway...if anyone knows when the best time for getting snow on Greylock is, pls. post it here.

Bill O
11-09-2006, 07:18 PM
At 3,400 feet Greylock probably does get some decent snow.

As for the best time to ski Greylock, I'm not sure. The deepest snowpacks in New England are mid-March to mid-April....on average. But the farther south you get the standard deviation on that grows.

Or you could time it after a big Nor'easter, which tend to hit that area hard. Keep an eye on Jiminy Peak and Mount Snow storm reports. Jiminy Peak is near by and Mount Snow is about the same altitude (25 miles away).

skituxnoob
12-04-2006, 06:30 PM
hope this helps:

http://www.techsourceconsultants.com/smf/index.php?topic=415.new#new

Cliff
01-22-2007, 10:35 PM
Hmmm thats sounds like an interesting weekend trip. The trail looks like it might be awesome if we would ever get some real snow. If we do I might just have to head up there and try it.

pitonpat
01-30-2007, 08:19 PM
You should check out the video titled EPOCH, by Meathead Productions. It's a great backcountry ski video which pays homage to the early skiers of Mts. Marcy, Greylock, Mansfield, Washington, and Katahdin. Meathead Productions is a group of young guys from the Burlington, VT area who ski all 5 peaks, providing history and a reasonable amount of information valuable to those of us who might also ski these peaks.

Brad
01-30-2007, 08:28 PM
You should check out the video titled EPOCH, by Meathead Productions. It's a great backcountry ski video which pays homage to the early skiers of Mts. Marcy, Greylock, Mansfield, Washington, and Katahdin. Meathead Productions is a group of young guys from the Burlington, VT area who ski all 5 peaks, providing history and a reasonable amount of information valuable to those of us who might also ski these peaks.
Thanks for the information - and welcome to the forum! I see you joined up today and have already posted. It is great to have active participants out here.

billyB
03-04-2007, 01:12 AM
hi, dont know if uv made ur trip yet, but i live about 10 miles from greylock and now would be great, nice base,prlly 30 - 40" at the summit. The summit has snow for a long time. but the lower sections will get bony in april. This is southern NE u know and late season snow at the lower elevations is marginal. I live in pittsfield , we are about 1000' elv. and have gotten about 28" in the last 2 weeks. happy trails and hope to hear of ur trip. Marc

billyB
03-04-2007, 01:17 AM
oh, also there is a great documentary, "purple mountain majesty" of the origins and history of the bolt. u shld check it out