PDA

View Full Version : how much time

njgail11
03-02-2008, 09:48 PM
Has anyone ever heard of the longest time and the shortest time to hike up mount washington by tuckermans ravine trail, just going up not going down.

Bill O
03-03-2008, 06:46 AM
I'm not sure about the longest. I don't think anybody keeps track of that. Let's just assume it was a very long time.

What does the White Mountain Guide say? 4 hours? That's a fairly easy pace with several stops. 6 or 8 hours would be close to a snail's pace.

I think I did it in 2:15-2:30. My guess is that many people out there have done it in 1:30, even less.

JimS
03-03-2008, 01:58 PM
I'm not sure about the longest. I don't think anybody keeps track of that. Let's just assume it was a very long time.

What does the White Mountain Guide say? 4 hours? That's a fairly easy pace with several stops. 6 or 8 hours would be close to a snail's pace.

I think I did it in 2:15-2:30. My guess is that many people out there have done it in 1:30, even less.

I know that alot of the amc kids do the ammy in around 1:30 by the end of summer. I've done that trail in 1:48 when I was in shape and living at the top. Not quite fast enough to beat the train (my goal), but that's been done.

I think I've heard one of the EMS guides has done about 1:15 up the standard winter route, with ski/skin assistance and a light pack on a prepacked winter trail, which is probably optimal for hiking washington as it burys the rocks.

Longest...hmmm...a few ill prepared november hikers that met me on the summit late at night had some stories...

rockin rex
03-03-2008, 02:51 PM
That is a ? that is rather difficult to answer. I guess the fastest way up would be tucks so lets just assume that. Now are we talking hiking or trail running?? Trail running I would say just a little under an hour would be the best time. Hiking up I would say 1 hour and 45 would be about the best time.
I did it in winter leaving Pinkham at 7:00 after breakfast and arriving back down at 12:30. This was rather fast but there are folks out there doing it MUCH faster. Coming back down is the fun part. I raced the shuttle van down in the summer and I made it to Pinkham before the shuttle. I made it down Tucks in 58 minutes to Pinkham. Now that was fun!!!!! The whole idea is to just enjoy yourself and to be safe. I plan on doing a double climb this summer and run Pinkham to cog lot and back. Now I will have to see how long that takes.

Bill O
03-03-2008, 04:40 PM
I plan on doing a double climb this summer and run Pinkham to cog lot and back. Now I will have to see how long that takes.

Sounds like fun. I want in.

I bet the fastest times are the unauthorized are by the people who parallel the cog tracks. Like I said, totally unauthorized.

mtruman
03-03-2008, 06:02 PM
Record time for the Mt Washington Road Race (7.6 miles up the auto road) is 58 minutes. Imagine how fast one of these runners could make it up the quickest trail route...