PDA

View Full Version : March 21st climb

climbabout
03-05-2008, 01:12 PM
I may be coming north and climbing Mount Washington (via Lion Head)with my son on Friday, March 21st. Anyone else planning the same that day?
Tim

lordvoldemort
03-14-2008, 01:18 PM
I am heading out for Mt. washington with a buddy of mine on March 15th, Sat. I, too, will be taking Lion's Head trail.

kate
03-16-2008, 11:13 AM
We're planning a trip up Mt Washington via the Boott Spur trail on Friday March 21st (there will be 4 of us). Depending on the weather, we may hike a day early or a day later. Maybe we will see you and your son on the mountain? Have a great hike!

By the way, I am a new member to the forum. I finally signed up...I have been a constant visitor (lurker) and really appreciate all the information posted by members here. So, I figured I should finally sign up!

Brad
03-16-2008, 03:52 PM
We're planning a trip up Mt Washington via the Boott Spur trail on Friday March 21st (there will be 4 of us). Depending on the weather, we may hike a day early or a day later. Maybe we will see you and your son on the mountain? Have a great hike!

By the way, I am a new member to the forum. I finally signed up...I have been a constant visitor (lurker) and really appreciate all the information posted by members here. So, I figured I should finally sign up!
Kate - welcome to the forum - out in the open!

climbabout
03-17-2008, 09:29 AM
Hopefully we'll be getting an early start at Pinkham on fri am.
Tim

lordvoldemort
03-17-2008, 11:09 AM
Me and my buddy had a late start but we still summitted and were back at Pinkham Notch well in time. Amazing how much this extra daylight hour can do to your hikes. It was very foggy above treeline, almost a whiteout but the Lions Head had lots of snow, much more than what we had last month. You could'nt see the top untill you actually got there.

Hope you guys have a great hike.

billysinc
03-20-2008, 11:24 AM
With the impending atom bomb of wind that's going to drop Friday anyone still going up?

We changed our plans to do Flume via the Osseo trail which tends to be more to the leeward side of the mountain. As always summiting is optional with mother nature making the call. We should start from LW around 8:30-9:00am

climbabout
03-20-2008, 11:38 AM
I'm still heading up this afternoon with my son, with no expectations of getting above treeline. With sustained winds predicted in the triple digits, we may venture up lion head trail a bit and turnaround when we feel uncomfortable. Or we may head up toward tucks - for a look, although visibility will probably be nil. We'll make the call on Friday am. Will post a trip summary when we return.
Tim

Bill O
03-20-2008, 12:08 PM
I'm still heading up this afternoon with my son, with no expectations of getting above treeline. With sustained winds predicted in the triple digits, we may venture up lion head trail a bit and turnaround when we feel uncomfortable. Or we may head up toward tucks - for a look, although visibility will probably be nil. We'll make the call on Friday am. Will post a trip summary when we return.
Tim

Who knows, with winds like that the Pinkham Window could open up with only the summit capped in clouds. You might be able to see into Tucks or off Lion's Head.

climbabout
03-20-2008, 12:10 PM
Bill - that's why wer'e still heading up - we'll make the most of it - only taking what the mountain will give us.
Tim

climbabout
03-24-2008, 07:20 AM
Not much to report from Friday - the mountain wasn't fit for man or beast. Temps were around 10 deg but with very high winds - we hiked up to about the fire road off of tucks trail before turning around.
Tim

Bill O
03-24-2008, 07:40 AM
Not much to report from Friday - the mountain wasn't fit for man or beast. Temps were around 10 deg but with very high winds - we hiked up to about the fire road off of tucks trail before turning around.
Tim

What was it like at that elevation?

climbabout
03-24-2008, 09:47 AM
Bill - I would guesstimate winds at 40+ with higher gusts and loose snow being blown in your face from time to time. One of those days it was tough to stay comfortable - and conditions worsening the higher you went. While we could have continued higher, there was no point as we the wind chill made it quite uncomfortable and we certainly would have turned around at treeline.
Tim

lordvoldemort
03-24-2008, 04:40 PM
We headed up on Lowe's Path towards Mt. Jefferson on sat. The weather was nasty, high winds and not great visibility. But we could see the cairns and were breaking trail and finally made our way up to the summit. We turned around and then stayed at Grey Knob and headed out again to Adams on Sunday. Although it was bright and sunny on Sunday, the wind gusts were still as bad as sat. I found it very hard to stay on the peak of Adams for more than a few moments, let alone enjoy the view or take pictures. I had a mild wind-burn/frost bite but it was worth the experience. I think the forecasts said winds gusts of 70+ mph on Sunday, good enough to almost knock you off balance.

Steve M
03-24-2008, 07:14 PM
We headed up on Lowe's Path towards Mt. Jefferson on sat. The weather was nasty, high winds and not great visibility. But we could see the cairns and were breaking trail and finally made our way up to the summit. We turned around and then stayed at Grey Knob and headed out again to Adams on Sunday. Although it was bright and sunny on Sunday, the wind gusts were still as bad as sat. I found it very hard to stay on the peak of Adams for more than a few moments, let alone enjoy the view or take pictures. I had a mild wind-burn/frost bite but it was worth the experience. I think the forecasts said winds gusts of 70+ mph on Sunday, good enough to almost knock you off balance.
Glad you didn't get blown into the gulf!:)

dangergirl
03-25-2008, 06:40 AM
Wow! This place has been unforgiving lately! Hard to believe for late March! :D

lordvoldemort
03-25-2008, 03:41 PM
The weather archives for Mt.Washington summit have avg wind speed at 80 mph on sat and 104 on sun. I don' think it was that bad on Jefferson/Adams at the time when i was there, but can only imagine how bad it must have been above Lion's head...

rockin rex
03-26-2008, 06:10 PM
Yea Between Lions head and Alpine Garden the winds must have been INTENSE!!! I can't believe you guys were up on Jefferson and Adams. I have been up on Adams in high winds and it is not alot of fun. The one time the winds were so high I turned around at thunderstorm junction and headed down. Were you guys able to stand up on Adams or were you pretty much hanging on. Wonder if anyone made the top of the rock pile on Sat???

lordvoldemort
04-01-2008, 04:39 PM
We were able to barely stand up on Adams and had to head back down pretty much as soon as we got there.