PDA

View Full Version : Birdsongs...the sign of spring...

JimS
03-07-2008, 01:48 PM
Those in New England have many sure signs that spring is truly on the way, and I got to hear one of my favorites this morning. Scraping the ice off my car in southern NH this morning, I heard, for the first time, a red winged blackbird call. It seems a bit early (KD? is that so?) and it was before I heard my first winter wren for the year...which I thought odd...

Then right on cue, a wren started singing.

After 95 consecutive days with snow on the ground, spring is perhaps soon on the way!!!

Bill O
03-07-2008, 03:29 PM
I'm no bird song expert but I definitely noticed an increase in activity over the past two weeks.

I hope somebody told them that DST begins this weekend.

Tim&Val
03-07-2008, 06:24 PM
Tim and I have noticed that the Tufted Titmice, which have been here all winter, have changed their tune just in the last week. I think they think it's spring already and time to attract those females!

KD Talbot
03-07-2008, 07:59 PM
Red Wing Blackbirds have been at my feeder about a week or ten days now. definitely the first sign of spring! Last Saturday during the snow, at my feeders I had the blackbirds, about thirty goldfinches, a half dozen bluejays and a pair of cardinals along with the usual gang of chickadees, tree sparrows, titmice and and nuthatches. A Hairy woodpecker also dropped in for some suet. In my neighbors cherry tree there were about twenty Cedar Waxwings. We took a hike at Hampstead Conservation Land and saw a half dozen Bluebirds in the snow. I believe they came north with the storm that came up the coast that day.

In case anyone was wondering, there has been a huge flock, maybe 35-40 robins eating staghorn sumac at my work for the last week or so. They've been around all winter. They stay near the coast where the snow depths aren't as bad and there are open patches of grass to find insects on.

KDT

spyboy
03-07-2008, 09:54 PM
I heard a lot of bird songs yesterday morning and this morning too. I didn't give it too much thought other than "that sounds nice..spring is close.."

Maybe they're just singing praises of happiness that the snow is melting and they'll be able to get to the worms soon.

(Except at Brad's house, where he has heated coils under the grass so the wildlife can forage all winter)

Steve M
03-07-2008, 10:21 PM
Every year around the end of Feb through March birds will come in by the hundreds even thousands and spend a day or less in the trees on my street. It is so cool to walk outside and hear them all carrying on. I often wonder where they end up on their trek back north.

edog2007
03-10-2008, 01:49 PM
I wait for the Robins to show up.Then I start getting wound up!!!!!!:D