PDA

View Full Version : Overnight hike w/o a pack

Magpie
03-07-2008, 05:32 PM
OK so I have spring fever. Once this feeling comes over me the gear comes out and gets spread out in my living room. But oops I can't carry a full pack pack until mid to late summer due to a forth shoulder surgery, But I need to hike.
So what do I do ? I can carry the must haves ( sleeping Bag, food, Water, Gortex pants and coat 5-7lbs) that's about it so I need a good intermediate overnight hike. I've only made camp in the Whites. I Haven't stayed in a hut in 20+ years and don't like the idea paying for it.
What is a lone hiker with a messed up shoulder to do ? I really want to sleep outside.
Lonesome Lake? No done that so many times.

Any suggestions for May.
:)

Bill O
03-07-2008, 06:03 PM
Hermit Lake shelters?

KD Talbot
03-07-2008, 08:21 PM
We stayed at Imp Shelter last May. There will be considerably more snow this year, though.

KDT

Magpie
03-08-2008, 04:47 PM
I was looking at Hermit Lake shelters on the map. Looks like one for the list. Snow could be a concern for sure. especially if we get a spring storm.
Thanks

mtruman
03-10-2008, 10:12 AM
For an overnight without full pack in May the huts really are a good option. At about $70 a night with full breakfast and dinner (excellent food!!) it's really not a bad deal. Lonesome Lake, Zealand and Carter are open year round. All the others except Madison and Lakes (which open on 6/1) open on 5/9. A couple of really good May hut hikes (that at least I'd like to do) would be:

Franconia Ridge to Greenleaf Hut (although this could just be a day hike).

Webster-Jackson trail over Webster and Jackson to Mizpah Hut. Day 2 to Eiseenhower and back down Craford path.

Zealand should be a really nice overnight in May as well starting from Crawford Depot via the A-Z to make it a longer hike in/out.

Hope you find something that works for you while you're getting your shoulder back in shape.

msiesco
03-12-2008, 08:14 PM
I have the perfect solution for you:

http://www.prolitegear.com/prolitegear/images/items/granite_gear_dog_pack_rg.jpg