PDA

View Full Version : Our first W4K Two-fer

Tim&Val
03-16-2008, 04:11 PM
Tim and I climbed Mts Field and Tom yesterday. The trail conditions were much better than we saw on Mt Passaconaway last weekend, but the poor trees were not in much better shape. So much ice.

Our trail report, and what I consider some incredibly stark scenery, can be found here: http://www.barkeater.ws/NH48/images/MtField/20080315/MtFieldFrames.htm

I hope you enjoy!
Valerie

KD Talbot
03-16-2008, 04:23 PM
Another great effort, with a great TR and pics to boot! Beautiful shots of the Grayjays. We stopped at the same tree the picture of Tim is under! It's funny, on 13 summits this year we have not run into Grayjays once. I have seen 3 martens and a snowshoe hare, though!

KDT

Tim&Val
03-16-2008, 06:57 PM
... We stopped at the same tree the picture of Tim is under! It's funny, on 13 summits this year we have not run into Grayjays once. I have seen 3 martens and a snowshoe hare, though!
KDT

First, Tim would kill to see a marten. Mammals are just SO MUCH COOLER. ;) We settle for Hairy Woodpeckers most days. I think this is our third Gray Jay encounter this year.

We called that tree the "tiki hut". Try to imagine sand under your feet and a fruity rum drink in your hand. :p It was a funny little tree, and right in the middle of the trail.

Valerie

Brad
03-16-2008, 07:04 PM
Val, you are one real trooper! That is not a really comfortable day out there - but you still look like you are having fun. Great report and pictures.

JimS
03-16-2008, 07:16 PM
Those trees are just about the coolest things I have ever seen in the whites. Just awesome shots!

mtruman
03-17-2008, 09:08 AM
Was the "tiki hut" on the Avalon Trail? I think we actually went under that one a couple of weeks ago as well - very cool. You got some really spectacular shots with all that ice on the trees. As far as wildlife - I would settle for martens, jays, anything breathing. We didn't see a single sign of life in 5 days of hiking up there in Feb. :(

Tim&Val
03-17-2008, 04:43 PM
Was the "tiki hut" on the Avalon Trail? I think we actually went under that one a couple of weeks ago as well - very cool.

Yes, it sure is! You really can't miss it - especially with 2 feet of snow sitting on top of it.

mtruman
03-17-2008, 05:54 PM
Yes, it sure is! You really can't miss it - especially with 2 feet of snow sitting on top of it.

Here's what it looked like on 2/16. We were unfortunately missing the fruity rum drinks :D

http://lh5.google.com/mtruman42/R772EOZuDfI/AAAAAAAABEA/pLXwR5Z-yK4/s400/080216-143336.jpg