PDA

View Full Version : Foot traction gear

Brad
11-13-2006, 01:30 PM
I am looking for traction gear to go over my hiking boots. Two types I have heard of are Yaktrax Pro and Stabilicers. Does anyone have experience with either type?

Based on web site research I am tending towards Stabilicers. My major usage would be going from Pinkham back to HoJo's and Tuckerman's Ravine.

amfrede
11-14-2006, 09:10 AM
When are you going up there? The time is fast coming to need full blown crampons on the mountain...

Brad
11-14-2006, 01:09 PM
When are you going up there? The time is fast coming to need full blown crampons on the mountain...
I try to get back to HoJo's and into the Ravine several times during the winter. There are times the trail is very slippery. I am not looking for crampons - just extra traction help. I know I should not be "on the mountain" in the winter. Looking at it is just fine for me.

afmrintern
11-14-2006, 03:18 PM
I've had good luck with both, but I'm partial to yaktrax. They are just easier to slip on and off and in my mind more convenient. I've broken one after a long trek of mixed hiking (ice and rock), but generally find them reliable. It is important to size them correctly though.

A agree with the above poster though, these are not a replacement for crampons, but I think they'll get you to hojos...

Brad
11-14-2006, 07:27 PM
Thank you - I will stop in at REI and see which they have in the store and think about getting one or the other soon.

MtnMagic
11-15-2006, 08:12 AM
Yaktrak are best for nearly level traction. They break easily on our sharp rocks and elevation gain. Stabilicers are made for elevation gain and spotty patches of ice. 6 or 10 point step in crampons are what hikers need for ice in the Whites. I only use Grivel G-10's. You need reliable, dependable traction.

Wednesday, November 22, EMS is having another "20% off everything in the store sale." Stabilicers now list for $48. You may find them for $35-40 in others stores at last season's prices. At EMS Autri Alpin SGOLP 6 point crampon are $60, Neve 10 point are $89.95. Black Diamond Contact 10 point crampons are $99.50. Wednesday take 20% off.