PDA

View Full Version : Easter Eagles 3/23/08

KD Talbot
03-20-2008, 08:24 PM
Sorry for the late notice. If anyone is in southern NH and would like the opportunity to possibly see an eagle, Judy, Emma and I would like to open our home to you. We are seeing them daily from the comfort of our living room here on Powow River in Kingston, NH. Today there were 5 all at once.

Of course, we cannot guarantee a sighting, but it will be good company, good conversation and a chance to meet some other hikers. There are many other birds on and around the pond to look at, as well. There are currently some large "rafts" of Ring-Neck Ducks, Bufffleheads, Hooded Mergansers and other transients, possibly some Loons also.

When: Anytime after 9am is good, probably ending mid afternoon.

What should I bring?: Binoculars, favorite libation. If anyone has a spotting scope, that would be excellent. We plan on having a large ham, and rolls to make sandwiches and a couple of types of salad. If you wish to bring food that is fine. Please advise what you will bring so we can plan.

Where: PM me and tell me where you're coming from. I will send directions.

Please PM so we know how many to expect. I know, its Easter, but if you can come by for a few hours, that would be great. Dog's are welcome, but please bring a leash so they don't wander onto the ice. Kid's are welcome too. Leashes optional. :)

Kevin, Judy and Emma

JimS
03-20-2008, 09:06 PM
How's after work tomorrow???

I should be around easter as well, cleaning out the old appartment though part of the day...

I'll bring my camera...
Jim

KD Talbot
03-20-2008, 09:58 PM
We're home around 3:30.

KDT

Brad
03-21-2008, 05:22 AM
I would love to drop in for this! Should be lots of fun and a great opportunity to see where Kevin is shooting all his recent bird pictures. He does them off his deck! Wow

BUT, I will be in NC for the weekend. Have fun folks.

Steve M
03-21-2008, 07:23 AM
Thanks for the invite. I wonder if my wife will let me fly up there for the weekend. Probably not but it would be fun.:)

Charlie
03-21-2008, 10:23 AM
i wish i could be there but last time i made a road trip to the north i had to take a 2nd mortgage on the house to pay for my gas bill :D

thanks for the invite i'm sure it would be a fun time
take pictures

spyboy
03-21-2008, 12:42 PM
I'm nearby in Manchester. I'd be interested in stopping by to take some photos. Good excuse to use my 70-300mm IS USM telephoto (and my new Canon 40D)

weather is supposed to be sunny on Sunday too!

Kirk

JimS
03-21-2008, 06:26 PM
Well, I just got home from an eagle watching session at KD's. I was certainly not disappointed. From his beautiful picture windows overlooking the lake we saw an adult (possibly 2 adults) and 1 immature flying over the lake. One landed about 100 yards out as well. They are truly awe inspiring to watch!

Also out on the lake were mergansers, ring-necks, and I believe some golden eyes as well. They scatter good when an eagle flies over!

Thanks KD, Judy and Emma for the hospitality, and hopefully I'll head back down sunday morning...

spyboy
03-23-2008, 04:32 PM
Headed over to take some pictures today.

On the way, I stopped at Lake Massabesic in Auburn, to get a few shots of the geese that are nesting in the river.

http://picasaweb.google.com/spyboy/LakeMassabesic

Then continued on to KD's house, one eagle showed up but he stayed far out on the ice. Did get some shots of him and a bunch of the cardinals at the feeder and some finches. Emma even posed for a few shots :)

http://picasaweb.google.com/spyboy/PowowRiver

Brad
03-23-2008, 05:03 PM
Spyboy, the first of the 2 geese coming in for a landing would be awesome cropped in. Give it a try.

KD Talbot
03-23-2008, 05:37 PM
Now, if we could get the eagle to pose like Emma...;)

KDT

Steve M
03-24-2008, 07:32 AM
Headed over to take some pictures today.

On the way, I stopped at Lake Massabesic in Auburn, to get a few shots of the geese that are nesting in the river.

http://picasaweb.google.com/spyboy/LakeMassabesic

Then continued on to KD's house, one eagle showed up but he stayed far out on the ice. Did get some shots of him and a bunch of the cardinals at the feeder and some finches. Emma even posed for a few shots :)

http://picasaweb.google.com/spyboy/PowowRiver
Thanks for sharing. Nice shots of the birds, and Emma. We had a yard sale Saturday and though I didn't get any pictures we saw two huge hawks in the trees and several beautiful cardinals.

Bill O
03-24-2008, 09:07 AM
While you guys were busy enjoying Easter Eagles....I was enjoying Easter Monday Sea Gulls.

Captured with the renowned Motorola Razor camera

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/5493/03240809031lc4.jpg

Those aren't fish they are enjoying. Its trash.

KD Talbot
03-24-2008, 03:30 PM
I actually tried to bait the eagles in closer with a turkey carcass we had frozen for just such an occasion. The gulls got it and it was gone in about 10 minutes. They appear to be slightly more opportunistic scavengers than eagles. :eek:

KDT