PDA

View Full Version : Ice shelf collapse.

edog2007
03-26-2008, 09:41 AM
http://nsidc.org/news/press/20080325_Wilkins.html

Well that sucks.Next year should be interesting.

We are not helping here,this global warming thing is much bigger than you and I.

I think I will walk to the post office today.:)

Rich
03-26-2008, 10:12 AM
Don't forget that a series of these shelves in the same area have BEEN collapsing for something like 40 years. This is nothing new. Also, as it says in the article, ocean waves are to blame too so whatever you do...don't take your boat to the post office today. :rolleyes:

Bill O
03-26-2008, 11:35 AM
I agree, this is nothing new. We just happen to be watching it more closely now.

A few years ago several, much larger, ice shelves collapsed.

Did you know that a few hundred million years, before the dinosaurs, the entire planet turned to ice. It was called "Snowball Earth." I think it lasted for a few hundred million years.

spyboy
03-26-2008, 12:08 PM
So all through grade & high school, my teachers said we've been "coming out of an ice age" so wouldn't that mean it's been getting warmer for the past 20,000 years?

edog2007
03-26-2008, 12:41 PM
Sounds like global warming to me.

Bill O
03-26-2008, 12:49 PM
So all through grade & high school, my teachers said we've been "coming out of an ice age" so wouldn't that mean it's been getting warmer for the past 20,000 years?

Its not about facts its about how loud you can talk. Plus, we've only been warming for like 10,000 years.

By my count this is only the third time an ice shelf has collapsed in the past 10,000 years. Except I only have data for the past 5 years.

donnellyvj
03-26-2008, 01:14 PM
You would think that over the last 4.6 billion years average temps have been much higher than our current temps. 10,000 years! thats nothing!

Bill O
03-26-2008, 01:21 PM
You would think that over the last 4.6 billion years average temps have been much higher than our current temps. 10,000 years! thats nothing!

Except for snowball earth, it hasn't been much colder than it is right now. I'd argue that we are just a few threads away from spiraling into a new ice age. A large equatorial volcanic eruption, reduced sunspot activity, unusual snow coverage across Russia and Canada.

spyboy
03-26-2008, 01:32 PM
We're told that ozone is bad, but cities with pollution have high ozone rates. Then we're told that without ozone the sun would burn us all up.

It's madness I tells ya!

KD Talbot
03-26-2008, 08:04 PM
The "Ice Shelf" at Powow River in Kingston is now gone, too. Those that were here last weekend got to see the last of it. Today's warm temps, 57 @ 6PM, did away with the last of it.

KDT

spyboy
03-26-2008, 10:08 PM
Did you ride it out to sea, ala Dr. Strangelove?

http://patdollard.com/wp-content/uploads/normal_dr_strangelove01.jpg

The "Ice Shelf" at Powow River in Kingston is now gone, too. Those that were here last weekend got to see the last of it. Today's warm temps, 57 @ 6PM, did away with the last of it.

KDT

Steve M
03-26-2008, 10:55 PM

KDT
See, another case of warming, this time it's "local warming". What are we all to do???:eek:

Brad
03-27-2008, 05:22 AM

KDT
Oh my goodness. Maybe we should get the news trucks out there for a live broadcast.

I think we have a ways to go on the lake before we hit it.

03-28-2008, 10:41 PM
Just remember folks, regardless of wether or not GW is real , or it's man made, it's never a bad thing to "walk to the post office". Or use less, or do it better. Sometimes I wish this whole GW thing was not tied so closely with environmentalists. We should not need an excuse to make our world cleaner.

Brad
03-29-2008, 07:41 AM
6288, absolutely agree. Recycle - use less - save - protect the environment we so much love.

spyboy
03-29-2008, 07:53 AM
The one that got me, when I lived in Austin, Texas, was that people only conserved water when they were told it was a drought situation. Why not zero scape their land (zero scaping is using plants that are native to the area and can handle dry conditions). During the drought, you could only water your lawn every other day, but when there wasn't a drought, people would water all day long, every day. Why? Just conserve all the time.

[gets off soapbox]

Steve M
03-29-2008, 08:31 AM
I guess I see this whole global warming scare as people that are wanting to control other people and there is money to be made in the process. Trying to force regulations on us for no reason. I am all for recycling, conservation, and keeping our forests pretty for the next generation but I don't like the Idea that someone is going to force me to meet there standards. I would like to know I do what I do because I take pride in doing it and it is helping out but I also like to know that if I want to drive my 68 Camaro around on a Saturday that I am not going to get a ticket for polluting the atmosphere.

(off soapbox also)

Bill O
03-29-2008, 08:36 AM
Just remember folks, regardless of wether or not GW is real , or it's man made, it's never a bad thing to "walk to the post office". Or use less, or do it better. Sometimes I wish this whole GW thing was not tied so closely with environmentalists. We should not need an excuse to make our world cleaner.

I totally agree.

03-29-2008, 10:14 AM
but I also like to know that if I want to drive my 68 Camaro around on a Saturday that I am not going to get a ticket for polluting the atmosphere.

(off soapbox also)

I don't think you have too much to worry about. For all the press and hype, our government is in love with oil. (heck, they make more from it than anyone). Our own EPA sued the California ARB board when they tried to mandate ZEV's a decade ago. Try and go out today and buy a hybrid other than a Prius. You can't get a Ford, GM's hybrids are a joke, Even the Altima I bought is only available in 6 states. The next logical step in clean efficient autos is PHEVs. But instead our government decided to pour billions into hydrogen research, knowing full well that it is destined to fail in the near (or even distant) future. The only thing that will, and has ever, driven change is economics and fear tactics. I don't condone the fear tactics, but I do want to be able to go out and have the choice to purchase a PHEV. It makes sense on so many other levels other than GW.

Your 68 Camaro is not the problem (nice car BTW!) It's the millions of daily driving vehicles. And the fact that we really don't have a choice. My fear with all the GW debate is that we will throw the baby away with the bathwater. If GW fails to be a viable argument (and it certainly has many flaws) will we just use it as an excuse to continue bad habits?

(wow, talk about a soapbox)

spyboy
03-29-2008, 12:27 PM
How about all of the vehicles idling at traffic lights and in gridlock?

And what about those stupid toll booths? Hit the brakes (waste energy) slow down, and somtimes stop, then accelerate and stop at the booth, pay money, then accelerate as fast as possible to get going again, thus burning tons of gas.

If the airlines have a "bad day" the government throws billions at them. Meanwhile the railroads struggle and the government wants to see them go under (yeah when I lived in NJ, NJ Transit is considered one of the best run and profitable commuter lines in the country).

I am definitely glad I work from home. :)

Kirk

edog2007
03-29-2008, 12:28 PM
I guess I see this whole global warming scare as people that are wanting to control other people and there is money to be made in the process. Trying to force regulations on us for no reason. I am all for recycling, conservation, and keeping our forests pretty for the next generation but I don't like the Idea that someone is going to force me to meet there standards. I would like to know I do what I do because I take pride in doing it and it is helping out but I also like to know that if I want to drive my 68 Camaro around on a Saturday that I am not going to get a ticket for polluting the atmosphere.

(off soapbox also)
Have you driven your Camaro up the auto road?
I took this up a year ago.:D
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h196/edog_02/100_2935copy.jpg

Steve M
03-29-2008, 01:31 PM
Very nice! No, I never drove it in New Hampshire. That would be fun to drive it up the auto road though, but that would mean I would have to drive it up from Florida.