PDA

View Full Version : Washington 3-25

OFbulldog
03-28-2008, 02:05 PM
Hey this is my first post on this website but I always read these forums, there is alot of useful information on here. First off my name is James Bohland, I'm a junior in high school from Cleveland Ohio. I climbed Washington last Tuesday, with guide Tim Martel from EMS, we had perfect weather. It was in the teens on the summit, there was nearly no wind, and a beautiful sunny blue sky. I was so happy, because driving two days from Ohio to New Hampshire is kinda boring and if the weather was bad that would almost ruin the trip. We took the Lion Head winter route to the top, it took just about four hours to get to the summit from Pinkham Notch. Tim spotted a migrating Hawk by the Lions Head, it was huge when its shadow past over us. Otherwise it was pretty much an uneventful climb. I do have to say thought that I thought it was one of the hardest things I've ever done. Even compared to the 70 mile trek my Scout Troop did at Philmont in the Sangre de Cristo Mountains of New Mexico I would have to say that climbing Mt. Washington in winter was definitely harder. I enjoyed the beautiful state of New Hampshire, and cant wait to come back to the Whites. This was one of the funnest things I've ever done. I'm back in Ohio now, actually i just had my wisdom teeth removed it hurts, so i will try to post some pictures soon.

Knapper
03-28-2008, 11:48 PM
Congrats on getting to the top. It is a difficult climb up in the winter but worth it. You really lucked out on the weather. I was off summit that day and everywhere I drove that day, the summit stole my attention away from the road from time to time. The combination of weather you got that day happens maybe a handful of times a month this time of year. And I hope you are talking about posting pics of the hike and not your wisdom teeth being pulled. JK!

Cheers
Ryan Knapp
Staff Meteorologist, KMWN

Steve M
03-29-2008, 08:39 AM
Hey this is my first post on this website but I always read these forums, there is alot of useful information on here. First off my name is James Bohland, I'm a junior in high school from Cleveland Ohio. I climbed Washington last Tuesday, with guide Tim Martel from EMS, we had perfect weather. It was in the teens on the summit, there was nearly no wind, and a beautiful sunny blue sky. I was so happy, because driving two days from Ohio to New Hampshire is kinda boring and if the weather was bad that would almost ruin the trip. We took the Lion Head winter route to the top, it took just about four hours to get to the summit from Pinkham Notch. Tim spotted a migrating Hawk by the Lions Head, it was huge when its shadow past over us. Otherwise it was pretty much an uneventful climb. I do have to say thought that I thought it was one of the hardest things I've ever done. Even compared to the 70 mile trek my Scout Troop did at Philmont in the Sangre de Cristo Mountains of New Mexico I would have to say that climbing Mt. Washington in winter was definitely harder. I enjoyed the beautiful state of New Hampshire, and cant wait to come back to the Whites. This was one of the funnest things I've ever done. I'm back in Ohio now, actually i just had my wisdom teeth removed it hurts, so i will try to post some pictures soon.
James, nice to have you on the forums. Now would be a great time for you to become a member of the mount Washington Observatory. You can join as a student for $30 and you will have access to great webcams of the mountain. There are many other great benefits included as well. Check out this page:

http://www.mountwashington.org/about/membership/

OFbulldog
03-29-2008, 10:58 AM
http://picasaweb.google.com/OFbulldog

the pics from the climb, i dont have any pics from the wisdom teeth lol. I will look into becoming a member, seems like a good deal.

edog2007
03-29-2008, 12:37 PM
Thanks for sharing those pics?

mtruman
03-29-2008, 01:13 PM
What a great experience! Sure looks like it made the drive from Ohio worth while. Glad it turned out to be a perfect day for you. I'm sure everyone here wishes they could have been there with you. Great pictures too.

Welcome to the forum. Hope you visit here and NH again often!

JimS
03-29-2008, 04:16 PM
Thanks for sharing your experience and congrats on the summit. Looks like a great day in the pics. It's very refreshing to hear about folks your age catching the mountaineering bug...

I'm glad to hear that you chose to go with a guide...Tim is top of the line!

Steve M
03-29-2008, 07:39 PM
Photo's are great. All I can say is I'm jealous. One day that will be me!:)

PatriciaS
03-30-2008, 10:09 AM
Great pictures! Congrats on your accomplishment! I agree that Tim from EMS is great!! I did an overnight trip thru EMS in Dec 06 and he was our guide.

KD Talbot
03-30-2008, 10:30 AM
It's amazing to see the amount of snow in Tuck's, Left Gully is hardly discernible. The trail above Lion Head is almost complete scoured, and all the snow is in The Bowl. Classic Mount Washington. Epic Spring Skiing! Thanks for the pics!

KDT

Bill O
03-30-2008, 10:44 AM
Thanks for sharing. Looks like you had a great experience. Many of us are pouring over your photos to get a fresh look at all the snow cover. A new perspective always helps.

I agree with others. This is a great time to join the observatory. Its only $30 and you'll help turn on the new webcams. Not to mention all the great benefits; Windswept, webcam zooms and time lapse movies. Don't worry though, nobody here will know if you choose not to join. And the forums are open to anybody who is interested in Mount Washington, member or not.

Hopefully you'll make it back to NH for some summer climbs.

Bill O
03-30-2008, 10:47 AM
Any anecdotes about snow cover below treeline on the Tucks Trail? Buried signs, missing rivers, what about Pinkham Notch? Deep snow in the bowl is great, but its hard to compare to anything.

dangergirl
03-30-2008, 05:02 PM
Your pictures look great! You were very lucky to have such a nice view! :)

OFbulldog
03-31-2008, 03:59 PM
Yeah snow cover before the tree line was great. Tim said that he rarely saw it as snowy as it was and that we were lucky that we didn't have to scramble over rocks. Tim was an excellent guide he told me he was going down to Ecuador the next day so he is probably there now. I think he said that he is going to climb Cotopaxi (http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock/150311/cotopaxi.html) with his father. He took all the pics by the way and its a good thing to, I was so exhausted that I probably wouldn't have gotten the camera out. I would like to come back some summer to do it again to see how different it is.

dangergirl
03-31-2008, 04:46 PM
You should come back in the summer to hike Mt Washington. I find it more challenging in the summer due to the exposed rocks. In the winter the trail is nice and smooth from the snow. The toughest part of the winter is the cold temperatures and possibility of deep snow.

In the summer you literally have to hop from boulder to boulder from the start to the finish. It is usually quicker in the summer because you can carry a lighter pack and don't have to use much technical gear (ie. axes and crampons), but I still find summer to be harder. The other part about hiking up in the summer is there are more people and when you get to the summit you see people walking around in flip-flops. They actually come talk to you and take pictures of you because they are shocked that people hike up Mt Washington!

The best part about the summit in the summer is the weather station. It is so cool to check out the videos, weather data, etc. Also, you have to get one of the whoopie pies they sell at the summit, they are AWESOME!!!!!!!

The scariest part of the summer climb has to be the risk of thunderstorms. They roll in fast and unexpectedly. Two years ago I had the pleasure of being in one after passing the lake of the clouds hut. We made it to the summit and waited out the storm before heading back down. It was actually my mom and dads first time climbing Mount Washington and my dad was so excited that we hiked up in 80mph gusts! He really loved the weather station. My mom really loved getting back to the car. She was quite the trooper.

mtruman
03-31-2008, 08:14 PM
I would like to come back some summer to do it again to see how different it is.

You really need to come back in summer. It is amazing. Check out the photo albums listed in my profile below (and MANY of the others from the regulars on this forum) for an idea of the experience. Better yet, come in July and join us for Seek the Peak. It would be great to meet you and share your next Mt Washington trip with you!

lordvoldemort
04-01-2008, 11:40 AM
I was there on sat 3/29 and the weather was as nastiest i have ever seen. 80mph winds, 10-15 feet of visibility with snow blowing. Once above the tree-line you had to break the trail as most people had turned back earlier. We went a little bit beyond Lion's head, but called it a day soon and turned back.

btw, the best thing about the summer hike is that you can get some soup and snacks at the top.