PDA

View Full Version : Everest: Beyond The Limit

Bill O
11-15-2006, 04:46 PM
For those of you interested in Mount Everest (I figure there are at least a few on this forum) there is a new documentary series chronicalling one team's ascent last spring. New episodes air on the Discovery Channel, Tuesday's at 10pm....with many repeats during the week.

The show follows Russel Bryce's team up the North Col route through Tibet. The climbing season last spring was very controversial with many well-publicized deaths on the mountain. As many as the "Into Thin Air" season in 1996. Bryce's team was harshly criticized with a few of these fatalities. I hope this series will help set the record straight.

I watched the first episode last night and it was very good. Lot's of real footage high on the mountain (Everest Imax had less than 1 minute of film above high camp). This sort of series is long overdue in my mind.

Brad
11-21-2006, 08:29 PM
Excellent post. Thanks Bill. I recall seeing an ad for the series, but then did not do anything to record it. I will try to catch a repeat of the first one and also set up to record the series.

We followed Erik Weihenmayer's ascent up Everest with a lot of interest. This was during the spring climbing season in 2001. We followed the Everest web sites each day, e-mailed back and forth with the support teams, cheered when we heard the whole team made it to the summit, and cried when we stopped to realize what had happened. The first blind person had summitted Everest! What an amazing story.

A lot of our personal interest was because our daughter in law went to blind camp several summers with Erik. His story in his book, "Touch the Top of the World", is wonderful to read.

Bill O
11-21-2006, 08:47 PM
I was in the Khumbu region about one month after Erik summited Everest, in June 2001. We saw their expedition stickers everywhere. Every year I typically follow the Alpine Ascents team on their Everest expedition.

Brad
11-21-2006, 08:58 PM
On Erik's trip there was a father-son team from New Cannan - just up the road from you.

Erik has continued to do some amazing things. In 2004 he worked with 6 blind kids from Tibet - teaching them to climb - and they attempted to climb a 23,000 foot mountain near Everest. He knows no limits.

OT: I know folks who used to live on Tokeneke Trail by you.

travelmel
12-12-2006, 09:30 AM
I have missed several episodes of the documentary. Is there a DVD of all the episodes or the entire expedition? I would appreciate any info. Amazon does not have anything. Thanks
Travelmel

Bill O
12-12-2006, 10:01 AM
Since the show is still airing new episodes the series has not been released on DVD yet. I am sure it will be though.

There is a new episode on tonight and you can also find many replays during the week on Discovery. I think there are 3 episodes left. Once those are done I expect them to run the whole series back to back.

I am still amazed by all the footage on that show. Nothing like this has ever been done on Everest.

Brad
12-12-2006, 10:53 AM
I have not had a chance to watch any of the programs. Maybe this weekend I can run through them as I have recorded them all on DVR.

tkahike
12-12-2006, 04:13 PM
I would count on a DVD, which I will probably get since I have missed all of this. High peaks are an addiction, and Everest is the mother load.

AlpineHikerFan71
12-12-2006, 06:20 PM
I would count on a DVD, which I will probably get since I have missed all of this. High peaks are an addiction, and Everest is the mother load.

I am with you TKAHIKE. It is an addiction and have missed most of them too. I will keep an eye out for a DVD set if they come out with one.

hiker8261
12-14-2006, 10:07 PM
on 12/31 starting at 5pm the entire 6 hour series will run end to end. You can go to the website and have them email a reminder as well.

http://dsc.discovery.com/tvlistings/series.jsp?series=25121&gid=0&channel=DSC

chris

tkahike
12-15-2006, 12:52 AM
on 12/31 starting at 5pm the entire 6 hour series will run end to end. You can go to the website and have them email a reminder as well.

chris

Thanks-I'm working OT that night, so I will try to catch it.

Brad
12-15-2006, 04:21 AM

chris
I would highly recommend folks watching the series - or recording it for later. I saw the first of the series the other night and they did an excellent job. Hoping to find time to see one or two more shows this weekend.

AlpineHikerFan71
12-15-2006, 07:31 AM
I would highly recommend folks watching the series - or recording it for later. I saw the first of the series the other night and they did an excellent job. Hoping to find time to see one or two more shows this weekend.

Time to see the Tivo to record.thanks for the schedule of thr program guys. this is something I dont want to miss for sure and keep forever.

Bill O
12-19-2006, 10:36 PM
All the episodes are going to be played back to back this Sunday, 5pm on the Discovery Times Channel.

Magpie
01-06-2007, 01:47 PM
Hi all. I know I know I post all my thoughts at one time , but time runs short.I would suggest Alpine Ascents for anyone wanting to risk everything. Verne has keeped my bro safe for some years now. Thats my call. Good luck:D

Magpie
01-26-2007, 06:14 PM
I started to watch , but I had to change it. My brother has attempted twice to summit and had to turn around at the last camp. I could never understand why he's taken these risks over the last 20 years.During his last attempt they had a helicopter crash and a avalanch. 5 minutes of watching these people suffer was enough for me. I wish them luck this up coming season. :cool: :confused: WOW I forgot I already posted to this thread O-well.

mplumbw
01-26-2007, 07:37 PM
I watched the series and I must say that attempting such a feat is wild but actually summiting is amazing.:) The only thing that bothered me was that while some people were more than capable of climbing ,they still got hung up behind others not able to continue.:mad: Some even lost fingers and toes.It's one thing to not make it because your body won't let you,It's another when someone elses body wont let you. Frustrating:confused: definatly a good series to watch:D

Rich
10-30-2007, 10:23 PM
Everest: Beyond The Limit: Dream Chasers started at 10 tonight. Basically it's part 2. The biker from LA is back for his second attempt. Should be good watching....

Brad
10-31-2007, 06:10 AM
Everest: Beyond The Limit: Dream Chasers started at 10 tonight. Basically it's part 2. The biker from LA is back for his second attempt. Should be good watching....
He was quite a guy last time. It is surprising anyone would take him back after seeing what he did last time.

Charlie
10-31-2007, 05:46 PM
i saw just a little of it . i will have to look to see when its on again .

now thats hiking :eek:

Bill O
10-31-2007, 09:12 PM
Those sherpas have it easy when it comes to climbing.

Lay rope to the summit, stand on top, back at advanced base camp for dinner and shots of whiskey.

mk10
11-01-2007, 12:39 AM
For those of you who don't mind spoilers, you can find out what happened (who made the summit, who didn't) at:
http://blogs.discovery.com/everest/2007/05/index.html

Steve M
11-01-2007, 09:21 AM
For those of you who don't mind spoilers, you can find out what happened (who made the summit, who didn't) at:
http://blogs.discovery.com/everest/2007/05/index.html
No I can't look...it would spoil the surprise.

Brad
11-02-2007, 09:41 PM
I just saw that the first program was recorded on my DVR - must be called the same series on the guide. The sherpas are amazing!

Charlie
11-03-2007, 09:40 AM
I just saw that the first program was recorded on my DVR - must be called the same series on the guide. The sherpas are amazing!

the sherpas make it look so easy

donnellyvj
11-03-2007, 12:09 PM
How about learning to use crampons and ice climb on Everest. Seems to be a different than I think it should be.:confused: :confused:

Bill O
11-03-2007, 12:58 PM
How about learning to use crampons and ice climb on Everest. Seems to be a different than I think it should be.:confused: :confused:

Are you talking about that lady?

She is nuts, no way she is going to be allowed to go up.

Charlie
11-03-2007, 01:09 PM

this is like having a volunteer go up top in the winter and is learning ho to cook and never saw snow before :eek: :eek:

i think brad could make it to the top ;)

Bill O
11-03-2007, 01:10 PM
this is like having a volunteer go up top in the winter and is learning ho to cook and never saw snow before :eek: :eek:

True, or its like showing up to Mount Everest and not knowing how to climb.

donnellyvj
11-03-2007, 02:57 PM
Yeah, I couldn't beleave it last night when I watched the re-run. I don't care how determined you r. That is the least safe thing i may have ever seen (i think). What if she made it to the final step and held people up like last year. I think it would put to many other people at danger. RIGHT??? :eek:

KD Talbot
11-03-2007, 08:05 PM
I don't know, I just saw a show on Globe Trekker where they took the Hautte route from Chamonix to Vermatt on skies, and the guy couldn't ski for sh__! They made it, but that's certainly not climbing Everest, now is it?

KDT

Brad
11-03-2007, 08:55 PM

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but, I know I could not make it. Now, if I worked at getting in shape - or I retired to focus on it. Oh, I would love to do it. But that is serious business. Good folks, qualified - last year got hung up by folks going up who should not have been there. Not a good scene.

Steve M
11-03-2007, 10:50 PM
Thanks for the vote of confidence, but, I know I could not make it. Now, if I worked at getting in shape - or I retired to focus on it. Oh, I would love to do it. But that is serious business. Good folks, qualified - last year got hung up by folks going up who should not have been there. Not a good scene.
Yea, I know I'm not anywhere near being qualified to take on something like that. I would put others in danger unnecessarily.

Acrophobe
11-04-2007, 03:40 PM
Sure would be fun, though, eh?

billysinc
11-07-2007, 08:21 AM
I finally went out and bought a HD tv last week. Shows like this are amazing to watch in high-def. I almost had to put on my crampons in my living room it looks so real.

donnellyvj
11-07-2007, 08:39 AM
I watched every episode last year. I have to say that I am getting tried of "TIM THE BIKER". I know he has screws in leg, back, head, finger, toe, elbow for 100th time. He probably feel to sleep on his bike. :D

billysinc
11-07-2007, 09:12 AM
I can tolerate Tim the biker (without seeing his x-rays a hundred times). The girl they have on this year though is just un-watchable.

mk10
11-07-2007, 10:36 AM
The girl they have on this year though is just un-watchable.

Although the producers of the show are trying hard not to highlight it, there's no denying the fact that she's been ostracized by her fellow climbers. It appears that almost everyone finds her annoying. So if I had to choose a hero in this series, I'd choose her guide--as he's the one that has to put up with her more than anyone else.

Bill O
12-11-2007, 11:05 PM
I can't believe you know who made it. Unreal.

Charlie
12-12-2007, 08:06 PM
i have it on tape and will watch it later

Jimmy Legs and Little d
12-21-2007, 02:05 PM
If anyone out there subscribes to Netflix you can get the first Season of the Everest Series on DVD now. We saw the episode 1 thru 4 this week. Excellent shows.
Jimmy Legs and Little d

MelNino
12-22-2007, 11:30 AM
Ugh...I forgot this was one.....will have to NetFlix it when its there....or I could just look at the spoilers.

I can't even fathom climbing Everest, or any of the "big ones."

Charlie
12-22-2007, 02:33 PM
Ugh...I forgot this was one.....will have to NetFlix it when its there....or I could just look at the spoilers.

I can't even fathom climbing Everest, or any of the "big ones."

i can but will never happen but i will give moral support to all that go

Brad
12-22-2007, 04:41 PM
My wife was out of town and was not able to watch the series this year. So, I brought them all up for her on DVD.

MelNino
12-24-2007, 10:12 AM
There's a marathon on now. So happy I have work off. :D