PDA

View Full Version : suggestions on campsites

lordvoldemort
04-01-2008, 05:03 PM
I am looking to do a overnight trip to either Jefferson/Adams/Madison or Mt Washington. I have camped above the tree line once and have stayed at Grey knob another time, but was wondering if anyone has suggestions on good campsites below the tree line ?
thanks,

KD Talbot
04-01-2008, 08:25 PM
Valley Way Tentsite on Valley way out of Appalaicha is about your only choice on the north side of the ridge. There are tentsites at the RMC shelters. If you climb from the gulf side, Osgood Tentsite is your only choice.

KDT

billperegoy
04-02-2008, 10:55 AM
The Valley way tentsite is a great option for an overnight in the northern presidentials. It's a fairly moderate hike to the site but it gets most of the elevation gain out of the way leaving you with the rock scrambling in the morning. I did this as my first winter backpack in January and it and it was a great time. You also get to wake up to an amazing view of Mount Madison from the platforms.

Bill

lordvoldemort
04-03-2008, 09:58 AM
thanks for the suggestions, guys..

hamtero
04-05-2008, 11:05 AM
There are campsites along the great gulf trail. Consult your AMC guidebook. There are several past the Wamsutta junction.

hamtero
04-05-2008, 11:12 AM
There are trailside campsites along the Great Gulf Trail past the Wamsutta TR junction. From there you could take GG TR, 6 Husbands, or the Buttress trails up.