PDA

View Full Version : meteorology colleges

tigerbeat
11-25-2006, 04:29 PM
I am starting to look at colleges and I want my major to be meteorology, does anybody know of any good schools?

Bill O
11-25-2006, 04:37 PM
What kind of meteorology do you want to study? Tropical, severe, mountain, forecasting, etc? What sort of hobbies/sports to you do? Where do you want to live?

tigerbeat
11-25-2006, 04:48 PM
I would like to study forecasting, I am in a drama club, student government council, and I plan to play lacrosse in the spring, and I would like to live in the Northeast, but anywhere in the US is fine

afmrintern
11-25-2006, 05:04 PM
Northeast...you have:

Lyndon State
Plymouth State
Suny Albany
Suny Oswego
Umass Lowell
Western Connecticut State

Other Big Ones:
Oklahoma
Florida State
Penn State
Utah
Rutgers
Texas A&M
San Jose State

That should keep you busy...
Like Bill O Indicated...it's about matching the strenghts of each program to your specific interests...

tigerbeat
11-25-2006, 05:07 PM
Thank you very much

Bill O
11-25-2006, 05:17 PM
Way back when I graduated in '02 the University of Utah was well known as a forecasting school. I assume they still are today. I can personally vouch for their program. The university is big enough to satisfy you drama and student government needs. Although their lacrosse program is relatively new, it is growing and probably very good. The U of U has a long history of great sports teams.

Other schools probably have specialized forecasting programs as well. I know Lyndon State is big with broadcast meteorologists. As you might expect places like Oklahoma are big into severe weather and Miami is into tropical meteorology.

There have been some lengthy discussions on this site (http://www.stormtrack.org/forum/showthread.php?t=9930&highlight=universities) about meteorology programs. You should be able to find what you need here.

tigerbeat
11-26-2006, 07:21 PM
thank you!!!

Brad
11-26-2006, 08:45 PM
I know nothing about the individual programs at these colleges. But, many times I seem to get directed to web pages and information posted by Plymouth State - in NH.