PDA

View Full Version : Black Fly Season?

Jimmy Legs and Little d
04-11-2008, 09:37 PM
With all the snow in the upper elevations and the eventual melting, I was wondering how this is going to affect the black fly season, since the blackflies breed in running water.

JimS
04-12-2008, 05:21 AM
I have no scientific basis for this, but lore tells me that a bad year for black flies is a good year for mosquitos. And a bad year for mosquitos is a good year for black flies...

Charlie
04-12-2008, 09:43 AM
I have no scientific basis for this, but lore tells me that a bad year for black flies is a good year for mosquitos. And a bad year for mosquitos is a good year for black flies...

and it also says that people get a good work out swatting them :eek:

Brad
04-12-2008, 12:52 PM
It is fun to sit at the campfire and watch the dragon flies eat them all up.

Steve M
04-12-2008, 01:26 PM
We came out of a drought here in north Florida this spring and the Mosquitoes have been really bad so far. Generations of eggs all hatching out at the same time. For those of you who are not familiar with the Florida Mosquito, it's also called Florida's unofficial state bird.

RI Swamp Yankee
04-12-2008, 08:46 PM
.... the Florida Mosquito, it's also called Florida's unofficial state bird.
I saw a T-shirt a couple of years ago that said the mosquito was the Maine state bird. I think I saw it at Old Orchard Beach.

Steve M
04-13-2008, 08:59 AM
The Mosquitoes down here don't even wait to land to bite...they bite as they are coming in for a landing. Kamakazi style!:)